• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software to run CNC Machine.

Kolb

Hi, We have an AXYS series 5010 CNC Router. we are needing to upgrade all of our computer systems to Windows 7 machines. Unfortunately the Software that we use to run the CNC machine does not have a version that is compatible with Windows 7. We were using a program called ToolPath but we are needing a comparable program that will work and run that Machine. We don't want something that can really design for the PC as we do the design on a separate computer with FlexiSign Pro and send the files back to the router. If anyone has any recommendations that would be very helpful. Thank you all.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
We're going through a similar issue. In addition to a router, we also have two engravers and a laser and I'm trying to encourage the higher-ups to go with one program that will run all four machines- in the interest of being able to easily cross-train staff so workflow won't suffer if someone is ill, quits, whatever. So far, EnRoute is looking like our best bet (plus, lower learning curve since the router op already uses it) and I've used it for 9+ years myself- it's a good program- but, geez it's pricey.
I have the demo version of V-Carve Pro on my laptop, and it's neat- but it doesn't communicate with the machines. You still need a separate program to send the code (according to one of their techs). I'm open to suggestions myself. I'm going to take a look at some others, myself. I'll post if I come across one that looks promising.

Biker Scout

Mach3 is cheap, if not practically free. Runs anything that uses G-Code. We design in Vectric software and output with Mach3.

GaSouthpaw

G-Code is what actually makes your table do what you want it to. Pretty much no design software will output it- that's why we're stuck with using additional programs.
I just downloaded the Mach3 trial- I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

Saw Trax

In basic terms - G-code is what the CNC actually reads to plot its course - the coordinates. Flexi can not output g-code. Some CNC software shows the g code as the table runs and you can follow the cut based on the numbers on the screen.

Enroute is great and so is Vetric's full fledged software - Aspire.

-Larry

GaSouthpaw

In basic terms - G-code is what the CNC actually reads to plot its course - the coordinates. Flexi can not output g-code. Some CNC software shows the g code as the table runs and you can follow the cut based on the numbers on the screen.

Enroute is great and so is Vetric's full fledged software - Aspire.

-Larry
I wish I hadn't deleted the e-mail the sales rep sent me- he/she told me Vectric didn't have a program that would suit my needs. I thought it was strange, but I assumed (yes, I know) they knew the capabilities of what they had.

Biker Scout

That's bull... Vectric can input actual .eps files (so I can still design in Illustrator) And outputs g-code for hundreds of machines proprietary file recognition output extensions. And yes, even generic G-Code for import machines. It's a full fledge CAM software.

In fact, the cheapest way to get a router table to run is the Vectric – Mach3 combo. (Either V-Carve or Aspire. We use V-CarvePro)

synergy_jim

Enroute is a great tool. I highly recommend it.

As for G code being like the Matrix, I agree, but when I started programming these things, we still had to do some editing in G code. I used to be able to look at every line and tell you what the machine was doing…… Would that make me Neo????

GaSouthpaw

Try writing it. In the early 90s, I worked for a waterjet company and had to do the programming (CAM was new and we hadn't switched yet). I was so freaking happy when we finally got a program to do that for me- even if it did take more than an hour to do some of the coding.

rjssigns

Enroute is a great tool. I highly recommend it.

As for G code being like the Matrix, I agree, but when I started programming these things, we still had to do some editing in G code. I used to be able to look at every line and tell you what the machine was doing…… Would that make me Neo????

You are The One.

Biker Scout

Aspire is more for the 3D carver / artist who wants to create, morph and build. VCarvePro is more for assigning tool paths to vector images, and simple 3D milling. I feel it's a good for a sign shop.

The Giraffe

Another vote for the Vectric products. I've been learning the Aspire program while waiting on delivery of my new toy (friggin' Atlanta weather will delay it....again).

Like mentioned above, I can still design in Corel and import for tooling. I'll be using WinCNC.