• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some Recent Wrap Designs - Kickin' it old school; Simple & Clean

speedmedia

Thanks again folks for the comments.

In my opinion, I believe there will be a backlash not unlike the original backlash which occurred a few years after the Gerber IVB came out. People got so sick of the signs with the same fonts, squished, stretched, etc -that the original handpainters were being more sought out - simply because they used no vinyl.

People who have spent a lot of money on wraps which did not yield the results they had expected will look to simplify their message and opt for advertising which furthers their brand as a primary objective.

Of course, diamond plate, glows, triple outlines will never actually ever die. But maybe business owners will get more educated about what works and doesn't in an outdoor realm. Or maybe even designers, too.

I agree with this 100%. I would say a good percentage of our customers are people or companies that had a wrap done by one of those "flames, rivets, diamond plate, bad type etc type shops looking for something much simpler and more effective. My favorite wraps to design are the ones that are all vector.

Nice stuff as always Dan, always been a huge fan of your stuff and this is much of the same, very clean and effective! I LOVE the AirZero one.

Thanks,
Kurt

JERHEMI

This is actually a good thing. Its much easier to design stuff that stands out, when so much out there is just merging into the background. I don't care how much diamond plate is thrown in, it blends. That's actually the missed opportunity most businesses don't see. And it's pretty ironic, actually. They request to stand out and usually all they succeed in is fitting in.

The general proliferation of bad wrap design is partly an indication of how many business owners have no understanding of how to build a successful brand for their business, and what's required to pull it off.

I'm knee deep in that very subject matter, as I'm about 5 chapters complete on a new book which really goes more into the ways in which you can build a better small business brand.

Big thank you for all the comments!

Soooo, when is this book going to be complete Dan? Can I pre-order and autographed copy now? :Big Laugh

Dan Antonelli

Soooo, when is this book going to be complete Dan? Can I pre-order and autographed copy now? :Big Laugh

About 5 chapters done. Still trying to figure out publishing method. Epub format is proving to be way too limiting for what I want to do, and PDF has me concerned about theft and piracy. So initially I was certain it was going digital only, but now I may go physical instead. In the meantime, we're laying it out as if it's going physical hard copy, in case we go that way.

I feel like a lot has changed since the first book, but maybe it's just us that's changed but the fundamentals are the same. Its kind of funny seeing the evolution in terms of quality, but it all goes back to a point I've made frequently - we gotta all start somewhere.

Last edited:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I always take photos right there in the parking lot or garage after I'm done installing - takes away the possibility of or the trouble of getting the Customer to supply them. Now sometimes you don't get the "best looking" photos but it's better then nothing.

+1

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Where's the Bullet Point List of all the things they do? How are we supposed to know what the monthly special is or anything? :)

ucmj22

How do you get customers to let go of the crazy ideas they have when they come in the shop and get them to accept a focused design?

SignManiac

How do you get customers to let go of the crazy ideas they have when they come in the shop and get them to accept a focused design?

Just show them a typical $hit wrap job, (diamond plate, flames, tie dye, etc) and then show them something in the order of Dan's style. Any half brained dimwit should be able to grasp the point you're trying to make...

ucmj22

Just show them a typical $hit wrap job, (diamond plate, flames, tie dye, etc) and then show them something in the order of Dan's style. Any half brained dimwit should be able to grasp the point you're trying to make...

this hasn't worked for me so far. they usually leave and email me pictures of the ones they like which are everything you can imagine. every once in a while someone will come in and say "you're the professional, just do whats best." but about 80% come in and have a clear vision of what they want, and wont budge.:banghead:

John L

Dan understands what vehicle lettering is all about... selling stuff.

If a shop can provide a customer THAT service then they will make a nice profit on all that they endeaver, they will always be busy, they will never have to stoop or bid or kiss butt for a job.... economy wont even come into play.

Hats off to you Dan.

Tim Kingston

Dan,

I just wanted to tell you that when I first discovered this great site and a little later your posts, I went to your website to see examples of your artwork. Notice I use the word "art" in there. Anyways, as a recent graduate and someone lucky enough to find a job in this trade, I was greatly and continue to be, greatly inspired. When I took my course, I learned a lot but the turning point for me was when I went to the library and read ( many times ) the Before and After" magazines. It changed my outlook completely. Your company's work reminds me so much of the lesson I learned there.

To quote John McWade:

" More design fails for lack of a clearly stated purpose than for any aesthetic reason."

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to you for sharing your knowledge and your passion. Thanks, Tim

Dan Antonelli

this hasn't worked for me so far. they usually leave and email me pictures of the ones they like which are everything you can imagine. every once in a while someone will come in and say "you're the professional, just do whats best." but about 80% come in and have a clear vision of what they want, and wont budge.:banghead:

I probably have an advantage because many of these jobs are a secondary task after already being hired to design their logo and branding. For those who come to us for 'just a wrap', if they're current brand does not meet the criteria on what will constitute an effective wrap job due to its own limitations, we'll tell them that if they want to engage us, that needs to be done first.

If the response is 'well I already have a logo' and I see it, and its bad, I tell them so, and explain why. If they insist it needs to be used, I politely decline the work and tell them there will be plenty of shops willing to take their money and give them exactly what they think they need.

As for the other 'secret' to getting this type of work, I'll say this. It's equal parts marketing, and skill. When I say marketing, I mean how we present ourselves to the customer. We are really good at the task of branding, but we're also really good at illustrating to the client why they should hire us. That's the marketing aspect that most shops really don't get or invest in properly, if at all.

Most sign shop's marketing don't answer the questions about how your going to solve the client's problems. And they don't illustrate why a brand is so important. And they don't have case studies proving their success. Of course, not every shop is capable of solving their client's problems. But many are; they just don't illustrate it properly. And I don't care how good of a designer you are, if your own work and marketing doesn't illustrate it don't ever expect a client to make a leap of faith and believe you'll do better for their brand when you're own is sub-par. It ironic to me see the huge investments in equipment, yet the paltry investment in marketing needed to keep those machines running.

Just had a client yesterday want a wrap for a fleet of vehicle for his pest control business. He had seen some of our other pest control ones. His logo was horrible, and I told him I couldn't do anything for him unless he changed it and rebranded his company. He said 'No one's ever told me that before'. I told him why it was no good, why it wouldn't work in an outdoor environment, and why using it would be throwing money away, and a missed opportunity to do something great. Now, he gets to thinking about it more. And he's already spent an hour on my site, seeing the case studies, he knows we do good work. I'm talking to him about the proper foundations for building a brand - his most valuable asset - and everyone else is talking to him about what brand of 3m his wrap needs to be. Its just a different mindset.

Perception becomes reality. And when perception IS reality, its even better.

Again, much appreciation for the comments. :thankyou:

ucmj22

Most sign shop's marketing don't answer the questions about how your going to solve the client's problems. And they don't illustrate why a brand is so important. And they don't have case studies proving their success. Of course, not every shop is capable of solving their client's problems. But many are; they just don't illustrate it properly. And I don't care how good of a designer you are, if your own work and marketing doesn't illustrate it don't ever expect a client to make a leap of faith and believe you'll do better for their brand when you're own is sub-par. It ironic to me see the huge investments in equipment, yet the paltry investment in marketing needed to keep those machines running.

Boy I wish they would let me market our shop! at one point I even sat down at home and made up a marketing calendar for 2011 outlining important holidays, and local event through the year that we could use to build recognition of our business, what products we could market at those times to have the best impact, and when we would need to launch our campaigns to have the greatest impact. As usual, it was in one ear and out the other and my marketing budget is still ZERO.

If the response is 'well I already have a logo' and I see it, and its bad, I tell them so, and explain why. If they insist it needs to be used, I politely decline the work and tell them there will be plenty of shops willing to take their money and give them exactly what they think they need.

Just had a client yesterday want a wrap for a fleet of vehicle for his pest control business. He had seen some of our other pest control ones. His logo was horrible, and I told him I couldn't do anything for him unless he changed it and rebranded his company. He said 'No one's ever told me that before'. I told him why it was no good, why it wouldn't work in an outdoor environment, and why using it would be throwing money away, and a missed opportunity to do something great. Now, he gets to thinking about it more. And he's already spent an hour on my site, seeing the case studies, he knows we do good work. I'm talking to him about the proper foundations for building a brand - his most valuable asset - and everyone else is talking to him about what brand of 3m his wrap needs to be. Its just a different mindset.

Thanks a ton for the insight on how to better engage the customer. It is easy for me to look at something and know that its not right, but not be able to adequately describe why to a customer without sounding like a jerk, so too often I make a quick case, and if its met with any resistance, I drop it. I think I just need to find a better way to explain what the shortcomings are and how I would help them make it better. Thank you again for the insight!

signswi

I probably have an advantage because many of these jobs are a secondary task after already being hired to design their logo and branding. For those who come to us for 'just a wrap', if they're current brand does not meet the criteria on what will constitute an effective wrap job due to its own limitations, we'll tell them that if they want to engage us, that needs to be done first.

As for the other 'secret' to getting this type of work, I'll say this. It's equal parts marketing, and skill. When I say marketing, I mean how we present ourselves to the customer. We are really good at the task of branding, but we're also really good at illustrating to the client why they should hire us. That's the marketing aspect that most shops really don't get or invest in properly, if at all.

Great post, couldn't agree more with the approach.