• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sorry State of "Today".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimToad

Not to incite a political battle, but, reporting of those things are fine and dandy... It's when 99% of the time the reporters are modern activists inserting their political agenda to the report, and no longer acting as unbiased, that becomes and is the problem.

I'm not sure how discussing and possibly even debating our points of view needs to turn into a "political battle" but that speaks more to the lack of open mindedness and how deeply one's confirmation bias controls how they perceive things. For a society so full of bravado, absolute assuredness of one's positions, self-righteousness, etc. I'm shocked at how fragile and insecure so many people are over the proposition of discussing anything but the safest, tamest, unanimously agreed upon subjects.

We see it here everyday. Prick the bubble of one's confirmation biases and the disagree button is hit, the rude, insulting attacks begin and the hope for any meaningful discussion is lost. People try to come off so sure of themselves, but the foundation of what they are so sure of is not built on evidence, facts, statistics, etc. but on personal perceptions, urban myths, legends, non-factual opinion of those attempting to manufacture consent, etc.

I just watched several minutes of coverage of the killer storm sweeping across the eastern seaboard on several of the national networks and didn't pick up one inkling of an agenda or editorial influence other than warning folks to be careful and prepared for what is coming to their areas. From my vantage point, the mainstream electronic media is overwhelmingly pro-establishment, pro-military/industrial complex and acts more like cheerleaders and defenders of the status quo than any other perspective.

Folks seem to only remember the history that fits their bias and ignore that the media has ALWAYS played a role in shaping the public's opinions. Nobody here remembers the term "yellow journalism" or how propaganda has crept into the news at various times in our history?

The bookstore shelves are full of volumes on how important the need for MORE critical thinking, healthy skepticism and the urgent need for folks to learn the difference between editorial opinion and investigative journalism.

equippaint

Not to incite a political battle, but, reporting of those things are fine and dandy... It's when 99% of the time the reporters are modern activists inserting their political agenda to the report, and no longer acting as unbiased, that becomes and is the problem.
True and I know get what people are getting at here but in all honesty, why does it matter? I can listen to biased reporting/opinion shows that go against what I believe but it never bothers me. It seems too many only get bothered by this stuff when they hear contrary opinion but are totally fine with it as long as it is inline with confirming what they like.

Johnny Best

So Toad, who put the little "Wow" button on my post? You describe yourself to a T on your post about meaningful discussions, you think if you read something in a book you are better than everyone else? Have you ever formed an opinion on something on your own without seeing or reading about it beforehand? Or done anything in the layout of a sign that no one else has done. No, you stick with the norm. "O, such and such did it this way, you can't do that it is not acceptable". Toads don't swim well, I find little toads floating in my pool, dead. So stay in the shallow end where your toes touch the bottom.
Now 65 million years ago a rock hurdling through space 6 miles wide hit the earth with such impact it wiped out almost everything and changed life as it was. No Green Deal was around, no Republicans, no plastics or fossil fuels to blame it on. It is the way things happen. So quit being a Chicken Little and start being nicer to us non-educated pions you despise so much. "Marco".

TimToad

So Toad, who put the little "Wow" button on my post? You describe yourself to a T on your post about meaningful discussions, you think if you read something in a book you are better than everyone else? Have you ever formed an opinion on something on your own without seeing or reading about it beforehand? Or done anything in the layout of a sign that no one else has done. No, you stick with the norm. "O, such and such did it this way, you can't do that it is not acceptable". Toads don't swim well, I find little toads floating in my pool, dead. So stay in the shallow end where your toes touch the bottom.
Now 65 million years ago a rock hurdling through space 6 miles wide hit the earth with such impact it wiped out almost everything and changed life as it was. No Green Deal was around, no Republicans, no plastics or fossil fuels to blame it on. It is the way things happen. So quit being a Chicken Little and start being nicer to us non-educated pions you despise so much. "Marco".

That's right, I put a wow on a post where you distilled a multi-chapter, deeply researched, multi-million dollar study based on a mountain full of factors into a narrow minded, stereotypical insult towards Mexicans.

So now books, reading and fully informing oneself from a variety of sources is bad? Yup, make sure you go laminate your Know Nothing 2.0 membership card.

Oh, if you need to know who and what the Know Nothing Movement was all about, its written about in books.

The level of anti-intellictualism and intellectual curiosity that has pervaded this society will be the downfall of us.

But here as always instead of looking inward at what you might have posted to earn that rating, you go right back to your fallback of the typical insults, attacks and more stereotyping based on your bias, not on facts.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Polo!

All kidding aside, the point of my thread is coming to light. We all tend to dig our heels in when we hear something out of line with our ideals. I try to have an open mind but I noticed that mind has been programmed to attack what I feel contradicts its train of thought rather than analyze and respond. It was an observation I started looking at yesterday when I was nursing my back from being an idiot in the gym.

equippaint

I try to have an open mind but I noticed that mind has been programmed to attack what I feel contradicts its train of thought rather than analyze and respond. It was an observation I started looking at yesterday when I was nursing my back from being an idiot in the gym.
You attacked yourself? Bet that was a head scratcher for your fellow gym members.

Really though, what you and others said about priorities being out of wack got me thinking about my own life and 2 young children. So many good things in life to talk about yet politics is what takes center stage.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You attacked yourself? Bet that was a head scratcher for your fellow gym members.

Really though, what you and others said about priorities being out of wack got me thinking about my own life and 2 young children. So many good things in life to talk about yet politics is what takes center stage.

Your right

My daughter was quietly eating peanut butter bread and an apple for breakfast when suddenly I hear "AAAAHHHHHHHHH"..

"WTH is wrong?"

"I ate his head! My bread was shaped like a dragon, and here is his feet, his wings, his neck and he had a head but I ate it and he screamed...but wait, if I ate his head then how did he scream?"

TimToad

Toad, you are the worst offender in bringing up politics in almost EVERY thread. You did it this morning on the corrugated plastic thread. Over and over again you talk down to everyone who has anything to say and act you are the highest among high. The one member that actually agreed with you left, so now of the hundred or so that post regularly NO ONE takes your side. You must enjoy getting everyone roweled up... Most here just want to communicate like civilized professionals or wannabe professionals..so take your crap over to the comments section of facebook where all that mess belongs... I thought the title of this thread was "The sorry state of Toad"

So who died at Signs101 and put you in charge as thread police? That spot already has far too many hypocrites already in place.

It's not hard to point out the inconsistency in the posts of a hypocrite and bomb thrower like yourself who can't follow your own or the advice of others to just skim past the posts of those you don't agree with.

When someone mocks and challenges a member from another country on their use of the English language and then dishes up words like "roweled", you have zero credibility or right to critique anyone. I've seen more typos coming from you than nearly anyone else here, but you had the nerve to mock another member.

Johnny Best

That's right, I put a wow on a post where you distilled a multi-chapter, deeply researched, multi-million dollar study based on a mountain full of factors into a narrow minded, stereotypical insult towards Mexicans.

Well then you do not read very well, here is the quote from your million dollar story: "Three particular changes are matched by spikes in life satisfaction, upwards from the introduction of free long distance calls in 2015 and the election in 2018,"
No one was being mean to the Mexicans Toad. You spout off that others insult but you are the Master of insults wrapped up in $10 words. I read the article "O Wow, he can read"! and it is like reading instructions on how to put a Barbie playhouse together. Not that difficult Toad, but you just cherry pick what you want to learn. Your a typical Toad, you pick them up and they try to pee all over you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Polo!

All kidding aside, the point of my thread is coming to light. We all tend to dig our heels in when we hear something out of line with our ideals. I try to have an open mind but I noticed that mind has been programmed to attack what I feel contradicts its train of thought rather than analyze and respond. It was an observation I started looking at yesterday when I was nursing my back from being an idiot in the gym.

I think to a point you're correct, but using a keyboard and the internet to convey one's points is kinda silly. Not on your part, but exactly about all your assessments. See, talking here, on the news, on the various liberal or right winged radio or television shows is just about as useful as teats on a bull. When face to face with people, you tend to take in body language, tilting of the head, voice inflections, tone and just everyday observances, where here, you can think, re-think, edit, look things up, copy & paste and just about anything underhanded you want and try to come across knowledgeable or halfway with it. That's why all these silly discussions get railroaded because some here take themselves wa-a-a-a-ay too seriously and constantly puff their chests and squawk nonsense which NObody gives two red cents about. Ever notice, when the last poster stopped posting..... the whole thread goes down the drain, totally forgotten about, regardless of what the subject was. In two days time, no one remembers OR cares about what was said or who said it.

I also remember a certain member here complaining about the non-sign topics all the time, but constantly derails anyone's thread they choose, regardless of the subject matter. Why does someone partake in a discussion, if all they wanna do is argue..... and from my observations, just to be opposite ?? Some people just don't wanna be helped. Some do and they reach out or across the aisle. That's when the real person is showing what they are made of, not posting up links, copy & paste crap and useless broadsides of worthless opinions. Haha.... it's only anti-companionship these people harbor.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I attack myself all the time, physically (Pushing my bodily limits at the gym or at work) and mentally (Being hard on myself for simple mistakes, criticizing my every move) I literally am my own worst enemy. But, alas if I'm my own worst enemy, no one can hurt me more....right?

I just hope I can teach my kids to be less worried about being wrong and more worried about doing the right thing.

I was once told, Its easier to be sheep than wolves but lamb chops taste better than grass, at least to me.

Gene@mpls

People like being angry, its addicting. Social media and the internet in general are a great place for people to get their daily adrenaline fix and the fastest way to it is through manufactured hate and crisis. People chase the things that make them angry, it triggers a dopamine release just like other pleasurable activities. Looking for truth and ways to not be angry at something is the proverbial buzz kill. Politics is the enabler and anger is the addiction.

So true. I lived thru the VN era and have studied history ever since. It is just as easy [and more enjoyable] to be happy as angry. I choose happy. You can choose too.

rjssigns

Personally I gave up watching the news a long time ago. I'm old and lived through different administrations. This is what I learned. Sun still rises and sets every day, I live in a nice home and eat three times a day. I also own some cool toys. Wife and dog love me and I have good friends. In the grand scheme I'm small potatoes and whoever is in office has not impacted my life enough to waste time getting worked up about it. Got better things to do like get the motorcycles ready.

TimToad

Personally I gave up watching the news a long time ago. I'm old and lived through different administrations. This is what I learned. Sun still rises and sets every day, I live in a nice home and eat three times a day. I also own some cool toys. Wife and dog love me and I have good friends. In the grand scheme I'm small potatoes and whoever is in office has not impacted my life enough to waste time getting worked up about it. Got better things to do like get the motorcycles ready.

Good on you for living a comfortable life. Most of us do and have all those same things you enjoy. But MANY don't and have no path to them due to policies and efforts by those bound and determined to undermine the same egalitarian principles that helped us all achieve the comforts we enjoy.

The reality is that there are things being done in our name that ANY citizen with the slightest civic mindedness would and should be concerned about.

If someone was robbing my neighbor's home, I wouldn't just turn the TV louder and drown out the ruckus, I'd do something to help.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Toad told me he has a HUGE sense of humor... he like doodles but not from Johnny, maybe you will like mine. Somehow I think you have the sense of humor that Trump does when SNL talks about him.

pKpJWSAJcRW9V0bwCLKyLLylDAuvVC91Ra4fVJ6HwTDQ-r6tkgPUC503Hxh6M03mtZolsiGluZMQ7wyePaEvrnDQWTA8cQW7tbnc3tcKlWQ5cgx6pD4b2QnQoqefXrFDYvkRzS7NYu8=w899-h600-no

rjssigns

Good on you for living a comfortable life. Most of us do and have all those same things you enjoy. But MANY don't and have no path to them due to policies and efforts by those bound and determined to undermine the same egalitarian principles that helped us all achieve the comforts we enjoy.

The reality is that there are things being done in our name that ANY citizen with the slightest civic mindedness would and should be concerned about.

If someone was robbing my neighbor's home, I wouldn't just turn the TV louder and drown out the ruckus, I'd do something to help.

I don't know of any policies that are keeping people from achieving anything they set their mind to. Point is if you can't make money in America you have absolutely zero drive to better yourself. Fact.
My Great grandfather on dad's side was an orphan in Italy. Didn't stop him from coming to the 'States and making a better life.
My Grandfather on mom's side escaped Nazi Germany and came to America and did quite well for himself and family.
I learned from them that you are not entitled to anything. You earn what you work for and hard work is part of it.

If you have trouble understanding any of this keep reading the bold underlined part.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sorry, you'll have to explain how the reporting of ACTUAL unprecedented weather and climate related events where billions of people are affected is NOT important news. Or how the broadcasting of how those events are and will affect our economy, safety, future policy, food supply, etc. Is some sinister plot to steer public opinion. If my car is stalled on some railroad tracks, I'd much rather know that a freight train is coming than bury my head in the dashboard and "pray" that I'll be fine if I just ignore the blare of the bullhorn.

If you apply critical thinking to my post, or even a simple rereading of it, perhaps you will get the gist of it better than you apparently did or chose to get. But let me try to provide some insight into my thinking.

If every night for many months the stories covered were heavily weighted to accidents and near accidents at American railroad crossings, one might develop the opinion that railroad crossings needed to be done away with. If every evening the stories were weighted towards shootings at shopping malls, some viewers would develop the opinion that shopping malls had developed into 21st century killing fields and stop going to them. In other words, it is ethically wrong to choose through any means including content selection to editorialize without separating it out and labeling it as editorial opinion. At least if they present themselves as responsible journalists.

I happen to agree that climate change is more important than any other issue I can think of. I still don't want anyone secretly tinkering with what I am told or not told to better suit their agenda while presenting themselves as responsible journalists providing unbiased news reportage.

Is that helpful or do I need to explain it again?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah right..... like go out and talk the b@st@rd to death, huh ??

Ya gotta take action. If you know for a fact, someone is actually robbing your neighbor, you either go out and confront him with a gun or do nothing. Ya can't shoot the person, cause YOU don't know what's happening for sure. I'd like to see you do something about a situation like that. I really would.

eidt..... I hadda delete so much out of this post it ain't even funny, but not near as funny as the toadster confronting a crook..... in the highest taxed area in the world. :roflmao:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My Great grandfather on dad's side was an orphan in Italy. Didn't stop him from coming to the 'States and making a better life.

My greatgrandparents came off the boat from Italy too... Settled in a small mining town in Pennsylvania. There were no entitlements back then to keep them afloat.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My greatgrandparents came off the boat from Italy too... Settled in a small mining town in Pennsylvania. There were no entitlements back then to keep them afloat.

Yeah there were. They were called honest wages for honest working people. You work, you get paid. You don't work, you don't get paid. However, it was up to oneself to find a good paying job. If ya just took anything and complained, you got tossed aside. Today, the complainers are the ones now creating the laws and demanding to the government what needs to be done..... on their lazy-a$$ terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.