• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300V Wiper Motor Replacement/Grinding Sound

IsItFasst

A while back I had used the infamous translucent white wiper blades and would get a grinding sound from them hitting the scraper. I had to live with it until I could get some black ones in. But I guess over time something has worn out as it is now even creating the grinding sound with the black wipers. Not sure if the gear is stripped on the motor or the screw has backed out (or even the motor has gotten week). But in any case the wipers currently won't go past the scraper so it looks like something needs replaced (I did replace the wipers and scrapers to eliminate that fix). I went ahead and ordered a motor, belt and gear to have before I tear everything apart. But...
  1. Anything I'm missing that could fix this (like a belt adjustment)?
  2. Any tips on getting to the motor? Quite buried in back so will require a lot of disassembly from what I can tell.

woolly

been through the same with my sc540 pro2 after a lot of mucking about concluded the silicone ones have got too sticky back to original all ok... for a short period better to run without the scraper than it keep stalling.
if you want to the wiper mech comes out in one bit so you can check and clean it all on the bench.

FrankW

Most of the time it is not the wiper motor, but the slider on which the wipers are mounted. Try to clean the rails.

IsItFasst

That was a big waste of time. I pulled everything apart and all looked good except the belt. While the teeth on the belt (and gears) still looked good it feels quite loose and it definitely is misshapen from being around the gears for all these year. Went to put on my new belt but the one Digiprint sent me was wrong. The bag was right from what I needed but it appears the wrong belt was put in the bag since the numbers on it weren't matching up and it was about 10cm too short. I am hoping the belt is the issue since everything else looks good.

Anyone know what officially makes the grinding noise?

There is some discrepancy between my manual and the way the machine was together. On the shaft the manual shows the spring BETWEEN the wiper assembly and the serge mist plate. But it was assembled with the spring towards the front of the machine pushing the plate towards the wipers. Anyone know what is the correct way? I assume the manual is correct but I have never had this part of the machine apart that I am aware of.

player

I am not sure about your issue, but make sure you get it correct. Last thing you need is something to buckle and take out your heads. I had the shiny tin cover not pulled forward and it jammed on the heads. I got lucky, but it could have gone the other way.

FrankW

Have you cleaned and greased the rails? Most of the time, as said, the noise comes from the belt skipping toothes of the toothed wheels. This must not damage the belt, because the toothes on the belt are of rubber too.

IsItFasst

Have you cleaned and greased the rails? Most of the time, as said, the noise comes from the belt skipping toothes of the toothed wheels. This must not damage the belt, because the toothes on the belt are of rubber too.
Is there a recommended lubricant for this? I do feel the the rails could be the issue.

IsItFasst

Nope...if anything it made it worse.

Digi-print supplies has jacking me around for months on parts so I am still dealing with the issue. That company used to be pretty good about getting me parts but they are a major joke these days. Sent me the wrong belt, didn't send me the pulley on the first order. So I reordered a new belt and some other things then they canceled that order without telling me and couldn't even give me a reason why. I kept being told my pulley would ship in the next few days at the latest. But never shipped, when asked about it for the 4th time they said they finally had it in stock and I could reorder it now...even though I already had paid for it in May. Stay away from using them at all cost! Finally just ordered the parts from various suppliers so waiting on everything to come in before I pull it all apart again.

jeff412

I have had similar issues getting ink from Digi-Print. In fact it sounds exactly like the last ink order I placed with them. Now I just order from Ordway and pay the difference. It isn't worth the headache.

Fortunately for me greasing the rail fixed my problem. Good luck with yours.

Jeff

Nex

I have same issue with my SP300V so I'm interested in how did you fix the problem?

Thanks,
Nex

IsItFasst

In all honesty it hasn't been fixed. I have just been running it without the scraper for months now. This obviously requires a little more frequent cleaning but has been good so far. Now I have the parts but am afraid to jump into pulling it apart in case I need another part. With this pandemic not sure when I would get parts if I need them.

ocean502

In all honesty it hasn't been fixed. I have just been running it without the scraper for months now. This obviously requires a little more frequent cleaning but has been good so far. Now I have the parts but am afraid to jump into pulling it apart in case I need another part. With this pandemic not sure when I would get parts if I need them.
Hi Did you resolve this? I am having the same problem. I took apart everything and cleaned really good and the noise went away, but before I buy heads I have a feeling the wipers aren't working. They do have ink on them, but I have to clean the heads every 10 signs I print or there is overspray. And what is the difference between wipers and wiper scrapers? I have the sp-540.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Are the black wipers you are using Roland OEM wipers? If not, I suggest you try them and see if the issue goes away. The older Roland wiper system is finicky about wiper stiffness. I'm not a big fan of the OEM wipers, but it will certainly confirm if stiff wipers are the problem. If that fixes the problem, then I would suggest reaching out to https://www.solventinkjet.com/ 303-733-6671. They carry a soft black wiper that works very well on the older Roland wiper system. Be sure to specify you want the soft wiper.

• Agree
Reactions: Nex

IsItFasst

Hi Did you resolve this? I am having the same problem. I took apart everything and cleaned really good and the noise went away, but before I buy heads I have a feeling the wipers aren't working. They do have ink on them, but I have to clean the heads every 10 signs I print or there is overspray. And what is the difference between wipers and wiper scrapers? I have the sp-540.
Still not fixed. As Jim said the stiff wipers can cause the noise problem. But mine is past that as I am using soft wipers now. At some point I was using the harder ones and that is probably got me where I am today. Just been too lazy to take apart.

Since it has been almost a year and haven't fixed it I really haven't had any issues. But I don't do many large prints so that may be what is saving me. I just manually clean everything a few times a month or when needed.

To answer your question: the scraper is the hard piece that cleans the wipers. Kind of hidden in the back of a door where the wipers slide to. You can see it in action if you stick something in the safety switch and remove the main cover. Just don't get hit by the head carriage!

Miccs

I got the same problem on my SP300, changed wipers, belt, pulleys, scraper. Still didn't work, so i just jammed 2 pieces of plastic between the tensioner and the machine. Now it works again, I dont know if the tensioner get's weak over time or what, but it was a cheap fix that's works.

Martin

IsItFasst

I got the same problem on my SP300, changed wipers, belt, pulleys, scraper. Still didn't work, so i just jammed 2 pieces of plastic between the tensioner and the machine. Now it works again, I dont know if the tensioner get's weak over time or what, but it was a cheap fix that's works.

Martin
That was a temporary fix for me too (used two old cutting blades) but then it went back to grinding. I got all the parts here that you replaced yours with so now I'm wondering if they will even fix it.

kensign

same problem here, also ordered parts with digitprint , almost the same play, checked out everything, tension with belt and gear , it's pulling tight, and rolling. The wipers just wouldn't pass the scraper, evening fighting to come out hard with floppy noises, maybe should go back to oem wipers and didn't look right the wiper trying so hard on hitting scraper but couldn't come out unless manually flip backward the scraper to let it come out