• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting a new business

TheJet

Starting a new business
Yes i have been wanting to take the next step and start a vinyl decal business. I have lettered plenty of my own race cars. But i have never done a wrap before. I will be starting the company from the ground up. Building a new shop in the spring. Then going to start purchasing equipment. I have used Mimaki jv3-160 printer before. But it was at my old partime job. I am very very new at this. So any help would be great. I want good stuff but i dont want to spend 30k plus on a printer. So would i be better off buying used since this will be a part time gig for a while until business get more steady. So any pics of your guys shops and set ups. Just trying to get off on the right foot from the start. Thnaks for any help. Joshua A. Lett​

TheSnowman

Good luck! Best advice I can offer is doing some searches on the site for what you are looking for. You loaded a lot of questions in there.

All I know is, I bought stuff new. It cost more, higher payments, and I didn't like making them, but I never had any issues with anything breaking down.

Sticker Dude

Hello Josh
Welcome to the forum!
Do a search on shop setups or pics alot of info out there
What are you planning on doing? just wraps?

TheJet

I plan on doing more than just wraps but there is not many people around here that do them. What are some of the better brands out there. I have used mimaki and thats it.:thankyou:

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and people.

You stated you have prior sign shop working knowledge,

Do you have design / layout knowledge.... That is the most important part of any sign advertising shop without that you have nothing but a stamp out letters shop which most are, all though good money can be made.

Pat Whatley

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to have your own printer. If you (and most other people here) do the math on it honestly you've got to do an awful lot of printing before you actually make more than you will be subbing it out.

Also, learn to write a complete sentence.

TheJet

Sorry for the incomplete sentences. I was never really that good in english class. As for any experince at laying out i have very little. But a friend of mine that i help is the main layout guy for the Kansas City Chiefs so he said he will help me out. And yes i want my own printer so i can do my own work. There are several guy around here but they do not have thier own printer. So my idea is to be they guy thats does. Thanks

TheSnowman

Are you going to employ your friend, or is he just going to "help out"...because if he isn't getting paid, and isn't working in your shop, I think you both will become frustrated very quickly. He isn't going to want to help make you money for free, and you aren't going to want to wait on him to do things because when it's a freebie, it goes to the bottom of the list.

Just what I know from working with friends on other projects through life....I've been on both ends of that situation, and it is not fun either way.

Pat Whatley

So you're going to either throw $15,000 at used equipment or $30,000 at new equipment...with no layout skills (using a friend), no experience, and no client base (part-time gig) just so you can "be the guy with the printer"?

Why won't people listen?

SignManiac

Be forewarned, stay away from the race car people. They will want you to sponsor all of their lettering for free.:thumb:

TheJet

Yes i already know how those racecar guys are. I am going to pay my friend to help me out. I has the knowledge. And yes i need to learn how to do layout. So if anyone has an idea where i can go to learn that skill i would take any info you have. And wow Pat you are full of encouragement.

Last edited:

weaselboogie

Yes i already know how those racecar guys are. I am going to pay my friend to help me out. I has the knowledge. And yes i need to learn how to do layout. So if anyone has an idea where i can go to learn that skill i would take any onfo you have. And wow Pat you are full of encouragement.

Pat is dead on. he's just trying to keep you from making an expensive mistake. Sub it out, until your numbers can support the work , the clients and especially the running costs. Where do you think all these established shops gets these 'like new' printers?

:banghead:

i think it is a great time for isign's quote that i just love

' you pay your money and you take your chances'

if you want to get started on the right foot..take the time to write a business plan. work through what you are going to do, how you are going to do, how you are going to sell it, etc etc .. work through all of those questions in your head and get them down on paper. without a plan you are planning to fail

i have written many posts as to how to write a business plan and i would encourage you and anyone who is starting a new business in this industry (or any other) to search out those posts or there are many more comprehensive books and resources..but you need to invest the time into this excercise.

i can never understand all of these people that are willing to dump $30K + into tools and equipment, sign leases and take on monthly payments to start a business when they have no idea how or to whom they are going to sell their products or services...

what equipment to buy is the least of your worries...that is the easy part.

GoodPeopleFlags

Quoted from Dan:
"i can never understand all of these people that are willing to dump $30K + into tools and equipment, sign leases and take on monthly payments to start a business when they have no idea how or to whom they are going to sell their products or services..."

Duh! It's because they can *save* so much money by lettering their own race car and their friends' cars! Haven't you heard that us sign people charge waaay too much? :banghead: