• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting a new business

TheJet

Thanks Dan atleast some people are willing to help. I have takin your advise . My wife and i are currently writing our business plan. Thanks Joshua Lett :thankyou:

Techman

Its easy, Just spend $40 grand on equipment. Make sure its the top shelf very best. That way all you have to do is turn it on, admire it a few hours and suddenly all the good work will appear.

Buying the very best will let you think you are really good at what you do. It is a crutch.

Some technicians can operate anything they touch be it worn out junk or brand new. Some can turn out works of art no matter what they use.

But none can turn out work even with the very best of tools if they have no idea how to design. Design skills are not included with the box.

mtroup

I would start out with a vinyl cutter until you establish some business and repeat clients, I just purchased my first printer this year but started selling printed work after my first year of business and it took me another 2 years to get to the point that buying a used printer made since.

As far as design and layout, you can go to http://www.signcraft.com/ and look in their store and I recommend the "Mastering Layout" book as it will help if you really pay attention and try to apply the things you learn to your work. I would also recommend subscribing to the magazine as it always has plenty of info as well. Once you start selling some signs and graphics and decide to try your skill at logo design I'd order the other two books as well.

Hope it helps.

kylebrk

Look man, the best thing you can hear is the scary stuff. If you can hear the scary stuff and still want to do it, you might have a chance.

Owning your business sucks most of the time. Im at the shop at quarter after four in the morning and haven't gone to sleep. Im supposed to be happy because December's numbers are 30% higher than July and I'm profitable. BUT IT STILL SUCKS TO NOT BE IN BED WITH MY WIFE.

Get in to business because you know you're better than everyone else around you. Don't do it because you think it will be easy or you'll make a ton of cash.

BTW, I love owning my own business. Even when it's hard, it's great. If you can listen to the scary stuff and it not detour you, spend the money. Once you make the decision to go at it, don't think twice.

shakey0818

Look man, the best thing you can hear is the scary stuff. If you can hear the scary stuff and still want to do it, you might have a chance.

Owning your business sucks most of the time. Im at the shop at quarter after four in the morning and haven't gone to sleep. Im supposed to be happy because December's numbers are 30% higher than July and I'm profitable. BUT IT STILL SUCKS TO NOT BE IN BED WITH MY WIFE.

Get in to business because you know you're better than everyone else around you. Don't do it because you think it will be easy or you'll make a ton of cash.

BTW, I love owning my own business. Even when it's hard, it's great. If you can listen to the scary stuff and it not detour you, spend the money. Once you make the decision to go at it, don't think twice.
look at the date of his post he probly went back to lug nuts and wrenches by now

Locals Find!

I wouldn't even try to open a shop without some design skills. You won't survive. Never be dependent on someone outside for the biggest part of your job. You have to have some basic skills at the minimum.

Listen to Pat he is a good guy. If you got that kinda cash or access to it to drop for a printer. Invest in something you already know about. You will be better off. Without knowledge of this trade your going to fall flat on your face.

Any monkey can hit print. Its the Design that gives you something to actually print. Good Luck!

Craig Sjoquist

Well it's been 5 months so far since the post started by ..The Jet
So I am wondering what happen ??
Did you start your new business ??
Did you buy or start subbing out print work ??
Did you pick up read / finish any good books about advertising design / layout ??
What is most of your business now cut Vinyl or Print ??
Have you expanded into other types of signage of starting to find your nich ??

Kemble

I started out with a cutter in 2006. After the first few months I started getting printing requests. It took me 4 years to build the business up to be able to afford getting a printer. We've now have had our printer/cutter/lam combo for 2 months and becuase of my 4 years of building a customer base I haven't had to "sell" my printing.

Take mtroup's advice. Get a cutter first, build yourself up a customer base. You will learn layout as you go with your cutter. Once your vinyl work is bringing in enough money to make the payments on the cutter AND make the payments on a printer then I'd look into getting a printer.

Don't just jump into a printer and expect to learn as you go - you will most likely fail if you do that. MONTHS AND MONTHS of learning curves when you get into a printer and I'm not exaggerating !

Fitch

What the hell....

Grow some balls, put it ALL on the line, don't do it "part time" - be like the rest of us and make hay while the sun shines and when your next job is finished - you're unemployed again.

That's what real sign people do each and every day.

That's what makes us strive to achieve, become better at what we do and most of all... SURVIVE in this crazy ol' biz.

But we love it.

Cheers.

Last edited:

tbaker

I just saw this thread, and I thought back, way back....

Back to when I first got into this industry working for someone else, saw the strengths and weaknesses of the company, went through the highs and lows, built my skills, learned all that I could, then that company folded and went to work for a new start up, where I had direct input into what equipment was purchased ( repeat)

I finally started my own business in 2001, we opened our doors on september 1, by all account through all the research and consultation we did, we had a stellar business plan, and we planned for every eventuality.

......evidently not, 9/11 happened and the economy tanked everyone stopped buying everything. The best laid plans of mice and men. We managed to hang on for about 5 years, but it was a constant struggle.

I can tell you this, take the most frightening situation you've been in ( your first marriage, the birth of your first child, the worst car wreck you've been in, etc) combine them, and then multiply them by 1000000000000000000, and THAT should be the trepidation you should feel, when you contemplate something of this magnitude. More sign shops close every year, then are opened, I'm not sure how this happens, but it does.

I came from the print end of the industry, so we always operated printers first, and subbed cut vinyl out, the operating costs were higher, but the resale prices were comparatively higher as well (exponentially in all actuality)

Think it through, plan as well as you can, but rely only on yourself, not your friends, not your family, not your employees. The only person with a vested interest in your business, is you.

As stated above, if you can read all of this, and not be dissuaded from your course of action, then all the more power to you. The best equipment is that equipment who's capabilities most closely align with your business plan and projected clientèle. You're not talking an insignificant investment so RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

S

SignTech

hmmm dunno ....... have to agree with Pat ....... I debated back n forth for a couple years getting a printer ............ only to find 3 excellent sources for dig prints in the NE area ...

so for a couple dollars more PSF and a tiny shipping fee ... I subbed out all my Dig ... did all designs in house and had my trusty cutter ......... rarely any issues ... no need to fork over 10-15-20 grand when I have D&T 40 miles away ....... but now my cutter? A must have ........ 30" plus ......

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Interesting on the date, I literally posted that 5 days ago. No turning wrenches for me:covereyes:

Totally, I have no idea why it's coming up as a recent topic. Sorry guys.

What is being pointed out is that the original poster of the thread created it five months ago and has never returned. What caused the thread to be revived was your reply to it recently.

This is not to say that an older thread cannot or should not be revived. Sometimes it's a worthwhile thing to do and sometimes it's just beating a dead horse.

Mosh

Wonder if he did anything, or just gave up on his dream because of all the "advise" he got???? BTW, I am planning on starting a construction biz. I have experience as I just finished a dog house. I am now going on to people houses. What type of hammer should I get????