Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still doing some stuff 'Old School'

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by SignosaurusRex, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    The only time I find it easier to cut the background in around the letters is on a wall or something very large. Today's paints are basically like painting with snot. They don't have near the characteristics of the paint from years ago.

Still looks great, but sometimes I wonder...... does it really bring ya in any extra money ?? I mean, cause from 3' away, no one can tell the difference and the vinyl will most likely hold up longer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    The reality is that I'd make a little less money in lot less time if I printed them. On the other hand, I have tons of paint and opted to use these for keeping in shape and stay indoors during crummy weekend weather. I think it was time well spent. I occasionally mentor a young up-and-comer in the trade and these were going to be a 'training' project of sorts. Unfortunately he is from another city and was not able to make the trip this time.

These signs although painted, will outlast the life of the current wrecking yard location.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Thanks for the explaination, have not used OneShot since they cleaned it up.
    Do you prep your ACM before you use the lettering enamels with enamel paint or just the factory finish they have on the ACM.

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    "first coat of White with a dash of Silver added" Wow, I hadn't thought of that trick in quite a while, used to know some guys who swore by it, I never really noticed an advantage, but did use it now and then.

5. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Your work is incredibly clean. Very nice job, sir!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Very nice work. Sometimes I miss hand painting- but then I remember that I did it on-site seven times out of 10 out in the Georgia heat and I don't miss it one bit!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    I hear that! :thumb: I'll stick to my shop at the moment. I don't know what's worse... Fishing Vessels in the north during dead of winter or refinery and rail tanks in the summertime in the Gulf states. I think right now I'd have to go with the heat.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. Sidney

Sidney Member

Aug 12, 2014
    North Carolina
    Very nice... What many don't know is that it's not a lost art, it has a lot of value and for those who are looking for hand painted artwork, will pay you well for providing it.

9. Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    South Orange NJ
    I love that you're doing this genuine article for a wrecking yard!

Hand-lettering is not a lost art! I'm being hired regularly to create "rusticated" signage in corporate spaces. Decades of experience in lettering layout and design trump digital design programs every time. Our hands are the "original digital".

Funny thing is, I get artwork for some jobs with "patina" created on the screen, and I have to explain to clients that the real way of painting a letter will be more convincing than putting in fussy little fake chip marks generated in the programs...

My favorite moment is the look on the Art Director's face when I show up with a yardstick, chalk, snap line, a pot of paint and a few brushes - Priceless!

Kevin O'Connell
    www.kevinoconnell.info
    The Illustrated Books of Kevin O'Connell by LettersandPictures

CapOne-Mkt-34-Layout.jpg CapOne-Market-34.jpg

10. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Fine work! thank you for sharing.

11. Jwalk

Jwalk Member

May 27, 2014
    Toronto
    great work, y'all.

IMO paint will last a lot longer than vinyl ?

12. Chuck Peterson

Chuck Peterson Member

Jul 12, 2006
    San Diego
    Hey man, That's alright! Old school is cool.

13. Terry01

Terry01 Member

Jun 14, 2016
    new zealand
    The beer tastes so much better after a day on the brush, and no 8's in the phone number.. :)