Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still having issues... need some help

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by EternalAudio, Sep 7, 2007.

1. EternalAudio

EternalAudio Member

Jun 10, 2007
    ok... no matter what I do.. still not cutting properly. Letters... images... test cuts... any helpful ideas?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    what kind of cutter?????????//

3. carole2cats

carole2cats Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Maybe you need to replace the cutting blade in your plotter?

4. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Make sure there is no play in the cutting head.
    It should glide smooth left to right, but no wobble.
    If it does, there are 2 small wheels on top that need adjusted.

5. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

When I first got my 5100 I had the same problem and tried every adjustment that I could find to no avail. I had a 2100 since 89 so I was familiar with Graphtec's controls.

Anyway, after going through the exact steps with my supplier and than again with tech support at Graphtec it was concluded that my blade holder was defective. Graphtec replaced it for me but I also bought one of the old original brass holders that sold with the old units. They were accruate and bullitproof.

6. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    This is almost certainly a mechanical problem...

A dull blade.

A dry blade holder, you need to put a tiny dab of silicone grease on the little ball bearings in the blade holder from time to time.

A defective or worn blade holder.

Dust and crud in the tool carriage, especially in the blade up/down mechanism.

Dust and crud on the ways the carriage rides on.

7. stickerguynyc

stickerguynyc Member

Jan 19, 2007
    New York
    check if the blade holder. check if the blade could move freely in the holder. maybe the holder is bad and the blade can't move. also check the cutting strip if it is smooth, if it is not smooth it make the blade to jump and cut like that

8. myronb

myronb Active Member

Jun 15, 2005
    make sure that the condition is set to the correct blade. You can change the setting depending on which blade you have

9. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Like said before.............That a mechanical problem.......

Check to see if the any thing is loose on the carrage............

10. EternalAudio

EternalAudio Member

Jun 10, 2007
    checked the head, seems to be moving fine left and right, as well as up and down. I talked to tech support, and am waiting on a reply. Here are some more pics of a test print using the pen. (and yes the setting was on for PEN)

Attached Files:

11. EternalAudio

EternalAudio Member

Jun 10, 2007
    more pics

Attached Files:

12. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    I'm assuming the problem was fixed, sine the last post here was in June. Well I am having a very similar issue with my 5100. But the pen test actually comes out great. What I get is the path does not complete, leaving little jagged pieces, or when weeded are still sticking to the letter. Any suggestions is this case? Already spoke to grahtec, looks like I may have to get a new blade/blade holder.. if so does anyone here know of a reliable possibly cheaper solution to buying a $100 holder.

Many Thanks
    David

13. Bogie

Bogie Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    What are the innards like on the blade holders?

If I were to go fire up the lathe, and make a few out of brass or aluminum, would it be worth my time?

14. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    you might need to tighten the pulleys or maybe a belt is loose

15. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    Would you know of a good website that would have plenty of pictures and explainations as to how to get it all done?

Thanks

16. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Bogie...
    It's got little needle bearings and threads, lots of messy machining stuff.

17. Bogie

Bogie Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Yeech - threads are doable, but duping the needle bearings would be more hassle than it'd be worth...

18. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    if this is something like what you are experiencing, i'd call the factory and see if they can walk you through it. When the needle touches the vinyl to start to cut a letter, that is your plunge point. When it is finished cutting the letter though, and the start and end points are not lining up and leaving snags, it's more then likely your pulleys need tightened.

this is how my 10 year old ioline cut before i started (small of large, i always had a snag.... smaller letters were horrible). The kid that ran the equipment before said it was because it was old. After he left one day i decided to call ioline, told them the situation and sent in the pictures. The guy walked me right through everything. I just had to remove the side of the plotter to access the pulleys and tighten them ALL with a hex wrech. Then he had me turn it on full speed and do some test cuts with some secret ioline plotter button codes, been cutting like new ever since. (i tighten them every 3 months now)

these letters here are under 1"

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  19. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Ball bearings, not needle bearings. Tiny little buggers against which the little crown on top of the blade rides.