• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Styrene vs Sintra, what's the difference?

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
Ok I am not a complete newbie and don't need people flaming me for asking what might be considered a stupid question.

We have 15 people working at our office, most of them have been in the sign industry for more than five years.

If I give them a thin piece of plastic that isn't shiny like acrylic and ask them what it is I get one of two responses.

It's PVC sintra
It's Styrene

When I call our vendor and place orders they let me use the two terms interchangeably. So what's the difference and how should I describe each product?

Techman

PVC sintra is a closed cell foam product. It is not as dense and hard surfaced as solid acrylic.

Styrene is the clear sheet stuff as used in CD cases. Or an expanded foam product such as foam beads in coolers.

Two different products.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Styrene can also be white, and when thin enough, gets rolled up. You will never get PVC (sintra) to roll up in any thickness. Your supplier allowing you to interchange the terms more than likely knows what you mean rather than correcting you.

TimToad

I hate styrene because of the static it always
seems to generate. We get 1mm Sintra all the time. It prints well, rolls to a certain degree but is kind of too soft to not scratch easily.

synergy_jim

styrene is a good choice up to .125. But its never a good choice outside due to yellowing.

I've found that styrene is great for indoor signage and is very cost effective ( cheaper than PVC ) until you hit that 3mm / .125 barrier and then PVC costs less.