• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Support Your Troops

Marlene

oops, I posted a this thread in the premium section when I really wanted it here for all of us.

get together a box of goodies and send them out to our friend in Iraq to share with the other troops. you can get a flat rate box from your local post office which works great. we talk a lot around here about supporting our people who serve and I think there are enough of us here who believe in that to put some smiles on the faces of people far from home. here's Cork's address in case you missed it in the other thread.

Robert Hilario
KBR MWR Coordinator
FOB Caldwell C-11
APO AE 09324

Bigdawg

Just Me
Marlene - usually don't allow double threads but this one I'm leaving in both premium and general...

Please guys.. send stuff... it was easy as pie and it only cost me around $12 bucks postage to send a stuffed full package... just think of those smiles when they get a piece of home!!!

sarge

tanks marlene for your support .. most americans dont know that the MWR (moral welfare & recreation) is where our men in uniform get the funding for most activities that dont deal with thier job .. such as the computers they use to email loved ones, or the gyms they use, TV's in the barracks and those kind of things .. most of the money that is generated for the MWR comes from the PX and commisary sales and other MWR activities (such as bowling alleys, theaters, gas stations and shopettes) .. the MWR and AER (army emerency relief) are both wonderful charities to support

Marlene

you can delete the one in the the premium section as that was a mistake on my part as I wanted it in the general area where anyone and everyone can read it.

sarge

just to add a couple more deals .. the MWR is not government funded .. and packages are so welcomed from the troops .. even cards or short letters of thanks .. most of these guys, believe it or not, dont get any letters from home or care packages (when i was active duty my favorite items to get was baby wipes and choclate chip oatmeal cookies) .. as a leader it was hard for me to see my troops not get letters from home, so i always asked the unit wifes club to put together something for these soldiers so during mail call it had thier name on it .. marlene if one troop gets something as a result from this thread then you have done a great service to your country, and those who volunteer to serve

Marlene

thanks for the info sarge, I didn't know what the MWR was or how it worked. I'm going to try to keep this thread going for a while on the first page as I really hope others will join Stacy and me in supporting out people far from home. consider this thread a call to action and lets do something together for our people who serve.

sarge

Marlene sometimes we forget our soldiers who are stateside or in other parts of the world .. personally i invite 4 soldiers to my home for thanksgiving, christmas and veterans day for dinner and a chance to get away from post .. it doesnt matter what branch .. i like to get 3 from the 14th engineers at ft lewis and 1 from 1 of the combat brigades

Marlene

Marlene sometimes we forget our soldiers who are stateside or in other parts of the world .. personally i invite 4 soldiers to my home for thanksgiving, christmas and veterans day for dinner and a chance to get away from post .. it doesnt matter what branch .. i like to get 3 from the 14th engineers at ft lewis and 1 from 1 of the combat brigades

you are a nice person with a warm heart and the world needs more people like you in it:loveya:

Joe Diaz

:goodpost:

Back in college we built a nonprofit organization for our business class. We mainly collected Coffee, among other things, and shipped it away to the troops. Obviously it's hard to find lots of stuff over there, but coffee was a nice perk from home that they really enjoyed. I imagine it's hard to find a good brew in the middle of the desert. So when putting together a care package think of the little things like that. The things that we really take for granted are sometimes hard to come by for them. I know when my bro was over seas, these care packages meant the world to him.

Boomer

My wife is a DAV (Navy Corpsman). She is part of Soldiers Angels,which adopts a soldier/sailor/guardsman that is deployed. They do letter writing,care packages,spouse support anything you can think of they try thier best to do it. www.soldiersangels.com We did a cookout a few summer's ago for an Army team that handles war dogs. We opened our home to them and let them escape for a few hours,I know they appreciated it and the satisfaction we got was unmeasurable.My wife's sister is an officer in the Coast Guard and her fiance is an Officer in the Marines,her father retired Navy so the service personell are held in high regard around here.Thank you for all you do for our men and women in the military.

we picked up some extra goodies at sam's club today and will get this package in the mail monday.

just a quick question if anyone knows. Cork mentioned/alluded that he/they miss the 'ladies' or 'looking/admiring' them. sorry if this offends anyone, that isn't my intention, but i know that a copy of playboy is not going to make it because of Iraq's regulations, but do you think a few copies of Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition would be allowed?

Cork if you see this in time and have any last minute special requests let us know and we will add it. Thank you for your service and your commitment to improving our troops moral.

sarge

i was in the first golf war and si was even monitored .. this wont help right now i know but, i will be on post monday and i will ask some of my buddies who have been to iraq .. we had to deal with the saudi's .. i am not so sure it is like that now .. and if i recall from the pictures i have seen of the barracks in iraq; i am sure i saw girlie pictures in the wall lockers .. i just sent a message to one of my buddies who is in theater .. but it could be a week before he answers

Bigdawg

Just Me
Yes it can and I'll do it now...

And I just picked up a couple boxes of girl scout cookies this morning to send... don't get much more American then that!!!

sarge

Stacy .. i absolutly know they will love them .. be fun if some were melted .. the guys get kicks out of little stuff like that .. you know the saying .. "not in this heat" as it relates to those sitting around back in the world with all that cold air blowing up their a$$es .. if i could just watch them .. i really miss those days .. nothin like humpin the ruck

cOrKinSA

Thank everyone for doing this and thank you Marlene & Stacy for keeping this going. I get very little computer time so it makes it hard to keep up.

Hey Sarge, I'll see if I can capture that moment for you when they open it up.

Stacy .. i absolutly know they will love them .. be fun if some were melted .. the guys get kicks out of little stuff like that .. you know the saying .. "not in this heat" as it relates to those sitting around back in the world with all that cold air blowing up their a$$es .. if i could just watch them .. i really miss those days .. nothin like humpin the ruck

Just so you know in the future the swimsuit mags are okay and heck even the playboys get shipped here from time to time only because it goes through APO, but it is the job of the individual that receives it to place it in the "Amnesty Box" to have it destroyed. So send what ever you have and we will go through it and sift out the risky magazines.

just a quick question if anyone knows. Cork mentioned/alluded that he/they miss the 'ladies' or 'looking/admiring' them. sorry if this offends anyone, that isn't my intention, but i know that a copy of playboy is not going to make it because of Iraq's regulations, but do you think a few copies of Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition would be allowed?

round man

From a proud father whose son just made him a grandpa and whose daughter in law and son have served five tours over there,so far between them,,,thanks to all for this post and all who support the guys and gals over there.It sure means alot to them.