• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

take-up reel

Ponto

I can't imagine printing without one... just need to secure your print to the core once if has advanced far enough to reach. Keeps longer prints free of possible contamination!

JP

grafixemporium

So the tension bar is also like the switch to turn on the motor also? Correct?

After watching the video of this model it looks like it uses some type of slip clutch rather than an electric eye. apparently the motor runs all the time it's on and it justs pulls the material until the clutch slips. I could see a few drawbacks to that but the price is definately right!

Right, the Roland takeup uses the tension bar as an on/off switch for the motor. No slip clutches or electronic eyes. Just simple mechanics but it works great!

You can see the tension bar laying against the backside of the vinyl in this pic...

Attachments

• Roland.jpg
    Roland.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 84

kingofwraps

I am looking into purchasing a take up reel for my Roland SP540...Has anyone purchased one from takeupdevice.com who has this a SP?

ZsVinylInc

I am looking into purchasing a take up reel for my Roland SP540...Has anyone purchased one from takeupdevice.com who has this a SP?

Kingofwraps

T3 has sn SP-540 and he said further up in the post that he bought one and has it on its way and will let us know how it works. I am in the same boat as you I have an SP-540V and am looking at this for my machine as well because the babysitting is getting old. Waiting to hear the review from T3.

Tim Aucoin

Loving this winder!

Package was sitting here when I got back from my week off! I installed it yesterday and am running the first job using it today... half a dozen 3' x 4' posters... IT IS WORKING LIKE A CHARM! :thumb::thumb:

None of my local suppliers could help me, so I ordered it from here (http://www.takeupdevice.com), which is a British company. Mark Elvidge was superb to deal with! He even arranged the purchase and shipment of the voltage converter that came from the U.S. It was quite a hassle-free process! In total (including shipping) I paid just under 500 B.P. for the device which works out to around $875 CDN. It's worth every penny in my opinion! :clapping:

Here's a couple pics... Photos taken with iPhone, so they're a little fuzzy.
I'll update as I run different media, but am sure there will be nothing but positive results! Currently, I'm running Photo Gloss Solvent Paper. Stunning results!!!

Attachments

• Winder-1.jpg
    Winder-1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 76
  • Winder-2.jpg
    Winder-2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 75

Colin

^^^ Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but Tim, how's the "Wind Up" working? Still flawless? If/when I get my new SP300i, I'd like to also get a take-up, but the Roland one is $2000.00! I see that this one is now listed at 395.00 British pounds.

I just learned today that you can't do the "cut" part of "print & cut" with a take-up reel; you have to do the print, then manually wind it back to do the contour cutting! Is that true for the "Wind Up" brand as well? That seems like a huge drawback.

Cheers.

Firefox

^^^ Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but Tim, how's the "Wind Up" working? Still flawless? If/when I get my new SP300i, I'd like to also get a take-up, but the Roland one is $2000.00! I see that this one is now listed at 395.00 British pounds.

I just learned today that you can't do the "cut" part of "print & cut" with a take-up reel; you have to do the print, then manually wind it back to do the contour cutting! Is that true for the "Wind Up" brand as well? That seems like a huge drawback.

Cheers.

I just ordered a VS-640 and they say it will print and cut off of the take up spool, They say it reverses as needed for the cutting. I guess this is a good reason to use a genuine Roland take up.

Is the VS-640 the only Roland that can cut and use the take up?

tomence

I went to an open house at my sign supply store and they did have this model installed on one of their VP-540 and it worked pretty good, but i did not ask how much weight it can hold.

More info on this model:
http://www.supply55.com/reelpro.html

We saw one of these at our local sign supply open-house a couple weeks ago.
Didn't see it in action. They said it can't hold as much as the Roland model This one can handle up to about 40lb.

shakey0818

im wondering why someone dosent manufacture a product like this that is adjustable in height and width for @$400 it is such a simple unit and in demand and prubly costs less than $50 to make,it seems to me that there are plenty of smart people here that could think of how to make 1 for cheeper.maybe that squeege guy he def has the brain power,

Colin

T3, I see that you have logged on here, more than once, so I have to wonder why you have elected not to reply to my inquiry about your experience with that take-up reel.

Would you kindly share?