• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

take-up reel

graphix

I just ordered a VS-640 and they say it will print and cut off of the take up spool, They say it reverses as needed for the cutting. I guess this is a good reason to use a genuine Roland take up.

Is the VS-640 the only Roland that can cut and use the take up?
yeah the only downfall i see for my el cheapo

Attachments

• DSC04626.jpg
    DSC04626.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC04628.jpg
    DSC04628.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC04630.jpg
    DSC04630.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 86

Tim Aucoin

^^^ Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but Tim, how's the "Wind Up" working? Still flawless? If/when I get my new SP300i, I'd like to also get a take-up, but the Roland one is $2000.00! I see that this one is now listed at 395.00 British pounds.

I just learned today that you can't do the "cut" part of "print & cut" with a take-up reel; you have to do the print, then manually wind it back to do the contour cutting! Is that true for the "Wind Up" brand as well? That seems like a huge drawback.

Cheers.

Hi Colin,

Sorry... I have been super busy and have not been on line for a bit (I don't actually log off, so it appears as if I'm on 24/7!! I'm preparing for a trip to Toronto tomorrow!

It is still working very well. The only little hassle I've had with it is the core insert slipping within the core, but that was because it was set to wind too tight by one of my staff. It wore out the core insert slightly, so now I simply add a little masking tape to hold the core onto the insert so it doesn't slip. Hope that make sense!! :rolleyes:

As far as reversing to cut... I haven't had a problem with that. If the wind tension is not set too high, it gives enough for the Roland to pull it back to cut without issue. Just make sure if you don't use a long leader to use a low tack masking tape to tape the vinyl to the core, otherwise that will cause an error when it tries to pull it back.

Hope this is helpful!
Tim

Colin

Thanks Tim! So, you're saying that it comes with & uses a dedicated cardboard core? Why can't a person just use any old core?

It seems like the options so far, are:

http://www.supply55.com/reelpro.html

http://www.takeupdevice.com/product.html

...or the over-priced Roland unit. I have no doubt that the Roland unit is well made, and design to work with their machines, but c'mon guys......$2000.00?!? I've also heard that the Roland one makes a very odd "quacking" sound when it activates.

Tim Aucoin

Thanks Tim! So, you're saying that it comes with & uses a dedicated cardboard core? Why can't a person just use any old core?
You can just use any old core! That's what I did. It does come with a core, but after discussing the extra shipping cost just for a core... wasn't worth it! Actually, one could take a heavier-duty core and actually put a couple self-tapping screws in each end through to the insert. That would solve any slippage problem!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Thanks for the idea Colin... well, your post somehow gave me the idea anyhow!!:rock-n-roll:

Colin

Does the "Wind Up" brand you have make any clicks or noises that one might find irritating?

Last edited:

ProColorGraphics

How does it work as far as taking the core and rolled up material off the TUR when you are done printing? To me it looked like you had to pull one end off of the machine, am I right?

tomence

would the aftermarket take up reel affect your warranty?

No it won't. I just got my take up reel from the dealer i bought my Roland and it is the Supply55 take up reel so if warranty was an issue at least they would've told me about it.