• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taking delivery of our new Summa F1612 next week, what else should I know?

FatCat

One other recommendation, add a surge protector for your new 3phase line!! This machine does NOT like power surges. ;)

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Have you had problems or issues because of this? Can you tell me what kind of surge suppressor you are using? Thanks!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Unit was delivered today! We got it off the truck, unpacked and placed in the shop without any issues. Just waiting on the technician to get it all installed next week. Looking forward to seeing what this thing will do!

Congrats on the new toy! I've been eyeing these up since they first came out. Keep us posted with the progress once it's up and running!

ProColorGraphics

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Have you had problems or issues because of this? Can you tell me what kind of surge suppressor you are using? Thanks!

I had a driver blow on the pcb board a couple of times. That either happens from taking the tool off without telling the machine first or a power surge. I am the only one using my cutter and always do that properly. So it had to have been a power surge.

I run mine off of a digital 3 phase converter. I added a Leviton #51120-1 to my main breaker panel to eliminate any surges from the power company and a Bussman SurgePod Pro on my 3 phase panel. I had to add a transformer after my converter to make it a 208 WYE connection the cutter needs. So I wanted to make sure there wasn't any coming from the transformer. Leviton also has a 3 phase one that I found was highly rated.

Leviton Single phase: ~$185 on Amazon. Bussman SurgePod: $130 on Grainger. Leviton 3 Phase: ~$300 on Amazon

CanuckSigns

I had a driver blow on the pcb board a couple of times. That either happens from taking the tool off without telling the machine first or a power surge. I am the only one using my cutter and always do that properly. So it had to have been a power surge.

I run mine off of a digital 3 phase converter. I added a Leviton #51120-1 to my main breaker panel to eliminate any surges from the power company and a Bussman SurgePod Pro on my 3 phase panel. I had to add a transformer after my converter to make it a 208 WYE connection the cutter needs. So I wanted to make sure there wasn't any coming from the transformer. Leviton also has a 3 phase one that I found was highly rated.

Leviton Single phase: ~$185 on Amazon. Bussman SurgePod: $130 on Grainger. Leviton 3 Phase: ~$300 on Amazon

I agree, we had a 3 phase surge protector put on our panel at the shop so everything is protected, electrician charged us $500 all in for it and it really adds piece of mind.

Ldireprophil

I love my F1612, I’ve had it about 7-8 months but couldn’t live without in now.

Attachments

• DDF32C05-006A-447D-9B88-9D04113EC5FD.jpeg
    DDF32C05-006A-447D-9B88-9D04113EC5FD.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 384
  • 02ACAA3B-F9A3-47AD-AA77-AB59711B9819.jpeg
    02ACAA3B-F9A3-47AD-AA77-AB59711B9819.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 368

FatCat

I love my F1612, I’ve had it about 7-8 months but couldn’t live without in now.

Yup, totally agree. The speed and accuracy on larger jobs really makes me appreciate not doing things by hand with a straight edge and razor. Plus, even 1-off projects aren't too bad, though we do tend to limit what we put on it if it can be done quicker by hand... But all in all, a great machine, very happy thus far after about 3 months of use.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
We already have a standard 4x8 CNC router and plan to keep the more difficult to cut materials on it. The summa will be more for softer sheet goods and roll stocks like posters and banners.
That is a good plan.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yup, totally agree. The speed and accuracy on larger jobs really makes me appreciate not doing things by hand with a straight edge and razor. Plus, even 1-off projects aren't too bad, though we do tend to limit what we put on it if it can be done quicker by hand... But all in all, a great machine, very happy thus far after about 3 months of use.

Hey Sean,
How are you liking the machine after a few more months?
Any things you like/dislike about it? Any regrets?
Thanks!

CanuckSigns

Hey Sean,
Thanks!

Hey Pat, have you gotten a quote on this machine in Canada? I've had my eye on one but I don't deal with ND Graphics so I don't have a sales rep. Feel free to PM me if you want.

ProColorGraphics

Hey Sean,
Thanks!
I have had mine for 2 years now and still LOVE it!! The ONLY thing I wish they would do would be to update a few things in the GoProduce software that runs it. (mostly for routing jobs as this is my only router) It has cut everything I have ever needed it to. I did add the front extension table to my F1612, making the belt go another ~4' out of the front. That is totally worth the money if you have the room, as it makes loading/unloading materials way easier.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have had mine for 2 years now and still LOVE it!! The ONLY thing I wish they would do would be to update a few things in the GoProduce software that runs it. (mostly for routing jobs as this is my only router) It has cut everything I have ever needed it to. I did add the front extension table to my F1612, making the belt go another ~4' out of the front. That is totally worth the money if you have the room, as it makes loading/unloading materials way easier.

So with the extension table, you end up with an 8' long bed? Do you have pics of the set up? Do you mind sharing roughly what that cost, I'm assuming it has be installed by a tech on site? Thanks!

FatCat

Hey Sean,
Thanks!

No regrets at all so far. Machine is accurate and fairly simple to use, also very flexible as we cut posters, static clings and banners down using the tangential knife and a 60 degree blade, we cut coro and foam board with both the oscillating knife and double edge knife and while we do have a dedicated 4x8 CNC table, we have used the router attachment for some misc PVC and acrylic jobs with good success. Overall, a great tool for our shop that gets used regularly and we keep finding more things we can do with it.

ProColorGraphics

So with the extension table, you end up with an 8' long bed? Do you have pics of the set up? Do you mind sharing roughly what that cost, I'm assuming it has be installed by a tech on site? Thanks!
Technically, no. You have a belt that is about twice as long, but your cut area is still the same. I know when I first saw it, I thought it was dumb and didn't see how it would help. But after a while decided to go for it. I think it was around $4k. Like I said, it makes loading/unloading all materials way easier, especially boards!!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

Just wanted to clarify that the conveyor extension adds 47" to the length, but the extension area is not part of the working area meaning you can't cut on the extended portion of the belt. It definitely helps with media loading and unloading like Matt mentioned. Retail on the conveyor extension, at least here in the US, is $6,490. Occasionally there are discounts/rebates available to reduce that cost. Sometimes after shows you can get a "demo" version of the conveyor extension to keep the cost down.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions that you might have about the extension.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

CanuckSigns

Good morning,

Just wanted to clarify that the conveyor extension adds 47" to the length, but the extension area is not part of the working area meaning you can't cut on the extended portion of the belt. It definitely helps with media loading and unloading like Matt mentioned. Retail on the conveyor extension, at least here in the US, is $6,490. Occasionally there are discounts/rebates available to reduce that cost. Sometimes after shows you can get a "demo" version of the conveyor extension to keep the cost down.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions that you might have about the extension.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Hey Phil:

Quick question for you about this machine, I understand that there is a foam sacrifice roll that you need to use between the material and the conveyor belt when using the router attachment, is that material reusable? can you typically get a lot of repeated use from it before you need to throw it out? also, how loud is the machine when the vacuum table and router are running? is ear protection required?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Technically, no. You have a belt that is about twice as long, but your cut area is still the same. I know when I first saw it, I thought it was dumb and didn't see how it would help. But after a while decided to go for it. I think it was around $4k. Like I said, it makes loading/unloading all materials way easier, especially boards!!

Sweet, thanks Matt! Definitely looks like it would come in handy if you've got the floor space.

FatCat

Hey Phil:

Quick question for you about this machine, I understand that there is a foam sacrifice roll that you need to use between the material and the conveyor belt when using the router attachment, is that material reusable? can you typically get a lot of repeated use from it before you need to throw it out? also, how loud is the machine when the vacuum table and router are running? is ear protection required?

Not trying to speak for Phil, but I can answer this. The sacrificial foam roll just protects the belt from the router bit chewing into it. We don't do a ton of routing on this machine, as I said we have a dedicated 4x8 CNC router - but have done several projects on it. We've wasted about 8-10' feet off the roll so far, but we re-used that section many times before throwing it away. Your experience will vary based on how much routing you do.

As for the noise, it's loud but not dreadful - none of us feel it necessary to wear ear protection when we are running it, but if you are noise sensitive it might not be a bad idea.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
What Sean said is all accurate(thanks for the help, Sean!) and, as he mentioned, you can reuse the sacrificial mat several times. I would say noise level will vary greatly depending on your operating environment, materials that you are routing, etc. but generally speaking the machine isn't too loud. The loudest it will get will be when routing hard materials or if you plan on using the pneumatic oscillating tool, as that tool tends to generate quite a bit of noise.

I actually had a customer send me a decibel reader a while back to test the noise level when routing all sorts of different materials, and the Db never spiked above around 94 Db, even on the harder materials. I would say ear protection would be optional, unless you or your team have noise sensitivity, or if you will be routing a lot of hard materials or using the pneumatic oscillating tool.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you guys.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks for the info Phil.

Regarding the router options - have you had any customers go with the basic Kress router and regret the decision and move up to the HQ one?

Realistically, we would be using the other tools 85% of the time but I just want the option to cut dibond, sintra, thin acrylic etc on occasion. Subbing out cnc work is a pain and we want the control to shape cut flatbed printed substrates in house. Is the Kress router right for us?