• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Test Print means what?

cajun312

As already stated, this occurs on various vinyls.

This is a possibility. I noticed that ever since I put a polypropylene flooring tile down in the shop (over the concrete), I get a little finger zap every time I touch the printer controls, stereo or metal storage cabinet. But, this fine banding problem didn't occur until recently, and the flooring has been down for about a year.

The printer isn't grounded other than the "ground" in it's power plug.

As the banding is occurring on all vinyls, I don't think this will help. (?)

*Added: The image below was printed at 720x720

If you are using Roland colors, try using the closest Pantone match, I was trying to match a light blue and kept getting banding and a grainy look, switched to pantone and it printed properly.

Colin

If you are using Roland colors, try using the closest Pantone match, I was trying to match a light blue and kept getting banding and a grainy look, switched to pantone and it printed properly.

Thing is, this fine banding is occurring on photos too, with no spot color.

cdiesel

Can you post a pic (better yet, a high resolution scan) of what you're seeing in photo prints?

Some RVW colors print very grainy. That's just the way they are.

Colin

I did some further testing this afternoon after taking out and cleaning that swiper thingy that comes into contact with the wipers. It was a little caked with ink residue.

I then printed off some tests (1" x 6" rectangles). One filled with a stock CorelDraw RGB, it's equivilent in CMYK, and a Roland RVW Spot Color; (all in that lighter green shown earlier in this thread) and all printed at the same time. It was interesting to note that the RGB and CMYK printed nicely as they should (although wildly different colors from each other), but the RVW still had those fine lines, no matter what media profile or quality level (med or high) I chose.

Rectangles filled with pure Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or Black printed nicely.

Weird.

I really wish to fix this, as I use the Roland color palette system a lot for hitting colors consistently & reliably.

tciou

Well, the above test gives us a little conclusion regarding the source of the problem. Maybe.
Have you mentioned what ink you use ? Also, how long is it that you face this phenomenon ? Could be a winter dependance behavior, the humidity plays a role.

Colin

Here's a couple more images. One shows how the banding is really evident in the built-in "Feed Correction" test print. This printed nice & smooth when the machine was new.

The other images shows how CMYK (and RGB) colors print properly, but the RVW spot color gets the bands.

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 64
  • P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 64

Jack Knight1979

definitely some nozzle deflection on the black head. Doesn't look bad enough to cause that kind of grain in the prints though.

If you're feeling brave, I'd hook up a syringe with flush and push it though the head, but if you do it wrong, you're causing yourself more headaches.

cdiesel

You have slight deflections, just like Jack said above and I said before. You need to fix this if that slight banding is bothering you. I'd fix this by wiping the heads as described above.

Just a hunch, print a detailed bi-di test and post the results..

Colin

I'd fix this by wiping the heads as described above.

I wil do that if I get clearance from my Rep and/or Roland, but I can't help but wonder why Roland would go to the time & expense to produce a separate, glossy document supplied with their printer which specifically says NOT to do this.

Just a hunch, print a detailed bi-di test and post the results.

Yes, I've done that and it's all good.

otctech

This is directly out of my xc-540 manual:

1 Foreign substances - Manual Cleaning - User's Manual -
When foreign substances such as fiber dust are stuck on the surface of
the Head, Ink sometimes leaks from it. Wipe the surface of Head with a
cleaning stick.

We've wiped several heads off and never have we made the problem worse. Just be gentle.

Colin

This is directly out of my xc-540 manual:

1 Foreign substances - Manual Cleaning - User's Manual -
When foreign substances such as fiber dust are stuck on the surface of
the Head, Ink sometimes leaks from it. Wipe the surface of Head with a
cleaning stick.

We've wiped several heads off and never have we made the problem worse. Just be gentle.

Interesting. My manual doesn't have that, and they included a separate piece of documentation (as I showed in post #9 of this thread) which says not to do it. This makes me wonder if the XC has a different type of head than my SP which allows for that. (?)

Last edited:

CentralSigns

The rep or service guy can't tell you to do it because that would void warranty and be directly against manufacturers instructions. That said it works. I have had ink build up on the head and had to both replace the wipers and directly clean the surface of the head (I can admit that now in public since my warranty has expired). It's mainly because for some reason crap (technical term) has built up on the wipers and they arent doing the job. If the wipers are ok the head should clean...unless of course you have a head strike.

It could just be a fibre or thread of vinyl that is touching the head as it moves or is stuck on one of the wipers. I had this going on and it literally took me going over with a magnifying glass to find it.

I had that sorta, it's like a cat hair bent over the edge of the wiper. couldn't see it as it was flat on both sides. Every hand clean still there, every machine clean still there. Sometime you gotta look deeper. We always clean the head edges and the wipers and cap top edges thoroughly every couple days. Haven't had it happen again and we have a lot of pussy around the shop.

Border

I think it's static electricity problem too. I'm in Minnesota and the static here is crazy this time of year because the air is so dried out. You should try running a humidfier in that room for a day or two and try the same test print again as in your original post. It's an easy, fast & inexpensive thing to try at least! Also try running a good ground strap directly to the printer.

A few years ago (in the Winter) I had static so bad that I was walking up to do something on my laptop and when I got my hand close to it I got a zap that went right through the plastic casing near the touch pad on it to my finger before I ever even touched it. It fried the motherboard (and also hurt like a mother F**ker).

Border

I would also make sure your media is stored in the same humidified room as the printer so it also doesn't get too dried out and charged up once it starts feeding and rubbing on the machine.

Jack Knight1979

The deflection is minor. I think a head soak would clear it up. I've never cleared a deflection with a direct swab swipe of the head. A direct swipe has never made it worse, so it's something to try. It won't hurt the head.

Static is bad for printing. You must have a humidifier going this time of year.

Colin

Thanks for the continued replies. I'm wondering about both the static and head cleaning ideas.......if it's one of those, why would only the Roland Spot Color be getting the fine banding?

Border

The spot color banding is probably just an unrelated issue. I think Chris (cdiesel) mentioned that perhaps?

Jack Knight1979

There is so much content in this thread now that I can't keep track of what has been done, etc.

If I'm repeating other replies, I'm sorry. Just wanted to throw some other ideas out there.

You may need a service mode bi-dir calibration and horizontal calibration.

Also, try turning down your carriage speed when running certain colors.
I have colors in my roland color chart that are not banding, but are more grainy than others.

this is the nature of the droplet size and not a printing problem that can be corrected. Certain colors do not print as smooth as others because multiple droplets from more color channels to generate the color as opposed to solid color fills.

That said, you do have some banding. Slow down the carriage speed and see if it clears up. Also, try calibrating in service mode. Then do a bi-dir in user mode. That could fix the problem.

I think that will cover every possible fix you can do to your machine.