• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

** The Official Illustrator vs. Corel Draw Thread **

Which it better, Illustrator or Corel Draw?

• Illustrator

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Corel Draw

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I use them both

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I still do everything by hand....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weaselboogie

I use both because they both are flawed. What tech said about nodes in illustrator... I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.... and corel is horrible with color. I usually design in corel and if spot on color is a necessity, bring it into illustrator to fix colors. I could go on....

KR3signguy

I've used Illustrator for the last 8 years
To me it has a better crossover to the print/prepress & design firms world & is more valuable and demanding. Knowing that I've never had the need to learn Corel but would welcome it for fun.

Rodi

You would be hard pressed to find a Mac person that prefers Corel, especially since the last version of Corel was around the time of OS9.

For Mac people the real debate is Illustrator/Freehand and Indesign/Quark

Hey Doc, I have Corel 11 Mac, it does suck but it is OSX. Freehand is my favorite (quit laughing).

onesource

I prefer corel but thats because I've used it since it was corel 3 and I can run it with a blindfold but I use other programs as needed. The programs are tools and I will use wichever to get the results I need.
Corel is better for general signage, that is my opinion.

Ken

I use Corel 95 vs Illy 5. Not saying it is better. I should be more proficient with Illy. When I want to level out the table leg..I'll use Illy. JK..
Ken

signage

I feel they are very similar and both can get the jobs done. For the money you can not beat Corel. Adobe is the standard for EPS, PDF and also color management output being they are the creators of these for computers so everyone else need to use them, they like most do not like these other companies using this info so they make little changes to make these other companies jump through hopes at times.

wildhock

I am primarily a Illy guy but own and use Corel as well. As Tech had stated earlier, Illy has its share of flaws and short comings "node selection"....But overall is a very powerful package.

Jon

mark in tx

For color workflow, Illy is head and shoulders above Corel.
At least from the files I receive from both sides of the aisle. I find I have to do more touch-up work on Corel files, pre-press is something that Illy users seem to have a better grasp of.

FatCat

I come from an offset printing background and am currently using Illustrator. I do have an old copy of Corel - and probably should upgrade just to have something to play with. But, as was said - if it works.... :D

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Haven't you guys heard of Corilly?
It's a new program on the market that's just right for all of the people that can't find enough bell whistles(and headakes) on Corel and Illy.It's release date of 2029 will once and for all stop all those threads about which one is better. What will we all do with the extra time on our hands?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Of all the years I have been frequenting sign forums, this might be the first time I have seen Illy top Corel in users...I know it's not scientific, but I remember Corel users out numbering Illy users 3 to 1.....

GK

Of all the years I have been frequenting sign forums, this might be the first time I have seen Illy top Corel in users...I know it's not scientific, but I remember Corel users out numbering Illy users 3 to 1.....

Corel was always beating out Illustrator by signmakers, vinyl shops etc. Then from the Ad Agency/Design Firm aspect Corel isn't even a thought. I too am shocked to see Illustrator being used/preferred more.

synergy_jim

mac vs. pc dealio....

bootcamp, parallels, vmware fusion.....

now you can run corel x3 all you want on a mac.

I love my mac....

if it was a chick... I'd marry it.... LOL
:wink: