• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

** The Official Illustrator vs. Corel Draw Thread **

Which it better, Illustrator or Corel Draw?

• Illustrator

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Corel Draw

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I use them both

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I still do everything by hand....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iSign

Corel was always beating out Illustrator by signmakers, vinyl shops etc. Then from the Ad Agency/Design Firm aspect Corel isn't even a thought. I too am shocked to see Illustrator being used/preferred more.

probably because we have to deal with Ad Agency/Design Firms.

I'd still be using Illustrator version 8 if it weren't for needing to be able to open files for important clients (or their agencies) and not wanting to slow down the process by telling them I'm not up to date on current versions of industry standard software.
I upgraded to CS3 2 months ago when I finally needed it for a client, and have needed it half a dozen times since... I also upgraded to 9, 10, CS1 and CS2 for the same reasons... but I've only had clients bring in Corel files maybe twice in 12 years, compared to 200 .ai files

MobileImpact

probably because we have to deal with Ad Agency/Design Firms.

but I've only had clients bring in Corel files maybe twice in 12 years, compared to 200 .ai files

Exactly! 99.9% of the files we get in from agencies or "in-House" departments are Illy files. I can count on my hands the number of Corel files I've gotten in the last 20 years. Surprisingly, these came from other sign shops.

Kevin

drakesis

I do use Illy alot, mostly for compatibility eps/ai for clients.
But I choose Coreldraw hands down, I work faster in Corel for vectorings mainly because I have all my tools setup with custom keyboard shortcuts.

I know you can do the same in Illy, but I find some of the tools just crude in the way they act.
My tool of choice is the 'Freehand Tool' in Coreldraw, I find that I have more control with the placement of my lines.

Flame

Exactly! 99.9% of the files we get in from agencies or "in-House" departments are Illy files. I can count on my hands the number of Corel files I've gotten in the last 20 years. Surprisingly, these came from other sign shops.

Kevin

Because in all of the colleges I can even think of, they teach you using Adobe products. So all the art weenies straight out of college know only one vector program exists. Illustrator. It was pounded in their heads for 4 years, so they use it and know nothing else.

Self taught sign shops can learn on whatever they want. Smart graphic designers try everything and choose their favorite. But it's hard to deny... any college student out there knows Adobe, and cares for nothing else.

I took a bit of college. CorelDraw was like a cussword...

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Ive got both Corel and Illustrator....I only have Corel BECAUSE a client made me buy it! I export to tiffs or eps' and thats all. Close program and put on shelf for a week. To me it has a HORRIBLE interface.