• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The "Wrap Daddy" Computer

Valentino

I'll have to agree with iSign (I know isign, it's rare, especially with mimaki, lol just pulling your leg) but I feel that John has presented himself in a professional manner and has brought evidence to the table to question the "power" of the WD. although I don't even know John, I trust him quite a bit more then the WD makers.

if the Sign Monster takes 3 minutes for an 8 gig file, I would gladly pay 2,500 for it. if the WD is alittle faster say a minute, the sign monster is an amazing and better deal (but that hasn't been proven).

BUT JOHN..... When I order one, I want mine in a Coolmaster Cosmos! those cases are just fancy!

iSign

With a machine like John's, I might even be able to do something with a Mutoh :Oops:

coolmaster cosmos huh? ...I may have to take a look at them cases. Hey valentino... did you catch that "pimpify your name" link someone posted the other day? It was pretty funny. I'll find the link again.

Maybe that's how these hip wrappers named there cases:rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Kstompaint….

I understand your story and see where dishonesty and the almighty buck to some extent probably played the biggest role. I also see that Ford didn’t do their homework and keep everything above board, allowing Cummins to go elsewhere. What I get from your little story is…. you’re following a product and a secret [Cummins], not a manufacturer because they tell you something. You knew the inside scoop and therefore could make an educated decision unlike what wrapper is doing.

What I don’t understand is why we all have to make examples of what this or that is like and not stick to the story at hand. Bringing in vinyl suppliers and automobile manufacturers just muddies the water and throws up a ‘Smoke Screen’ in my opinion. Whereas, John has kept this highly professional and hasn’t used any cheap used car salesman’s tricks here. He has stayed focused.

I only used the examples in my post because wrapper took me there. I have no problem with his monster machine coasting so much more than John’s…..or anyone else’s for that matter. And I don’t think they really care much what I think. They’re going to do what is right and best for THEIR company and then next for Feller’s. However, to tell us all or talk down to all of us is not what Feller’s is about.

Feller’s is about the most upstanding, most ethical and honest vendors I know of and I’ve dealt with many over 37 years. For Frank to add wrapper and his crew onboard says a lot to me, [but then again, Frank still sells A V E R Y], but this whole thread has put a bad taste in my mouth and I’m sorry about that…. but as you said it yourself…. if we can find it…. and do it…. your hat is off to us. I guess it boils down to… it’s a free country and we can all spend our money how we see fit.

Oh, and by the way John…… great information and I know you’re not turning this inside out. You don’t have to please me, but thanks for thinking about all of us 101’ers…… and keeping this professional. GREAT information.

GK

Wow, I really normally try to refrain from threads like this one but its getting ridiculous. wrap_computer_guy comes here, isn't a Merchant Member and basically does nothing but claim that theres is the best that is and ever will be and bashes an existing well respected Merchant Member John Moore of ITS who came here, very politely, wasn't trying to shove a product down our throat every two seconds, has a very knowledgeable IT background from what I can gather, and even helps members out with other computer problems on systems he hasn't built!
wrap_computer_guy...do you really think Fellers wants you out here using their name on public forums that have turned into pissing matches? Highly doubtful since they have probably some of the best customer service in the industry. May want to rethink your stance here at S101 and get back to us.

cptcorn

adad
Dual Quad-Core Xeon 2.0ghz E5335
16gb ram
4 250gb raptor running raid0
7300GT 512mb (just to get the video away from sharing ram)
64bit xp (no problems running software I dont use flexi)
$2600

Granted most design systems don't need 8cores... however some plugins are quite CPU intensive, watching a system monitor all 8 cores gets maxed out using genuine fractals, resizing to 30,000pixels wide...which takes 60-120 seconds max... I use the additional ram that photoshop doesn't use (since it can only use like 3.7gb) for a scratch disk, so its not written to the hard drive... Efficiency is at 100% all the time in photoshop, unless I'm opening the file for the first time.

ChiknNutz

In spite of some of the posts, this is a very informative thread. My question lies in the diff. between 32-bit and 64-bit. If 64-bit is so much better...and I believe that it is better but by how much I don't know...can you install Win XP Pro 64-bit and use it for your everyday system? Will it still use all 32-bit apps just the same? I don't want to go with VISTA until it's really ready for public consumption, so why not use XP Pro 64-bit? Am I missing something?

GK

not to really throw this thread into a frenzy, but you can dual boot 32-bit and 64-bit on the same system, you just need to make sure your processor and components are 64-bit compatible.

cptcorn

adad
In spite of some of the posts, this is a very informative thread. My question lies in the diff. between 32-bit and 64-bit. If 64-bit is so much better...and I believe that it is better but by how much I don't know...can you install Win XP Pro 64-bit and use it for your everyday system? Will it still use all 32-bit apps just the same? I don't want to go with VISTA until it's really ready for public consumption, so why not use XP Pro 64-bit? Am I missing something?

The ONLY problem i had with 64bit xp was anything that used DRM (music and such) didn't work well, or at all... itunes kind of worked, Rhapsody (which i use a ton) wouldn't work... but thats the only problem I had. The main reason to run 64bit, regardless if the program supports it or not, is to be able to use the additional ram. Most people don't need it. But if you're working with huuuuge files, it helps out quite a bit, especially if you have some drives setup in a raid config to compliment it.

John M

You can run (nearly) all 32 bit programs in XP 64. However, that compatibility is also the problem! Until the platform is 64-bit-everything, you won't get all the gains that true 64 bit can provide.

Not only must the system be 64 bit, the program must be as well. Right now you're running the same old 32-bit Adobe products in a 64-bit environment. That helps some, but it's still nothing compared to how it would be if Adobe released a 64-bit executable for its programs. That would require an entirely new product, not just a revamp, so it doesn't make financial sense for them to do it right now.

The 64-bit Photoshop link I posted in my above novel elaborates on this a bit more.

SignBurst PCs

For that I am sorry...

I do appologize to anyone I have offended. Along with Fellers, We will "bend over backwards" to please the customer (or potential customer). That is the way we have always done business and always will. I believe that this is one of the reasons that we have been successful.

SignBurst would love to be a Merchant Vendor on this site. I joined several months ago and didn't see the option when I joined.

I know that I have contributed to creating a few heated posts on this thread. Have I been defensive, yes. Please take a look at this from my point of view. I would love to let the two systems (Sign Monster and SignBurst) co-exist without any problems. But please, before you point your finger at me, please take a look at Johns webpage and you will see that before I even knew about him or The Sign Monster, he was saying derogitory things about our systems. It is not easy to stand by and see someone bashing your product without at least explaining where I feel he is wrong.

I joined the site in October, but never felt the need to post until I felt our product was being attacked. In my honest opinion, I am sure that he builds great computers. I am sure that he is a great guy. Why couldn't John have introduced his computer without bashing ours? Why does ours have to be wrong in order for his to be right? I am simply trying to explain that there are reasons that some of our systems are more expensive than his.

Yes, he will probably always be able to offer a less expensive computer than ours (we offer serveral different models by the way, all with different price tags and can customize any one of them for any customer). Only one came out in the Fellers catalog. We are working to offer all of the models throught Fellers as well. Something you have to understand is that we see him comparable to any other system builder. He can build computers. There are thousands of them out there. We took a look at his specs (since they are public) and we can build and sell his computer for hundreds of dollars less. Is that what we want to do. No. Dell can offer it for half. Is Dell a better deal than John? No. In my experience, the support you get from a local computer builder is far and above that which you would get from any of the "Big Guys". To be fair, The SIgn Monster is not rock bottom pricing either. It doesn't have to be. He is offering things that the "Big Guys" or someone who builds their own can't touch, the support of an computer industry veteran.

We offer an entirely different kind of computer and value. If you are going to offer a computers from $2700 - $7500, you had better know what you are doing and why you are doing it. We do.

We focus only on sign and wrap shops. We can offer the ins and outs of the software that you folks use on a daily basis. That is where are value is. We are able to keep up with your industry, our industry. I am not trying to keep secrets from customers. I HAVE to keep secrets from comptetitors. I HAVE to know how my hardware changes effect design software. We used to build computers for all types of businesses as well as support them. That is where we are different from other computer companies. We are able to live and breathe sign and wrap shops. I have laid vinyl and weeded lettering. I am with you guys at the trade shows. I spend time talking to sign and wrap guys every day. We have relationships with Flexi, Adobe, and others. We want to constantly put out the best "wrap and sign focused" computers we can.

I am not trying to take anything away from John. We used to build computers for the masses. I understand his side of this and don't hold any grudge. I just wish that this didn't have to be a pissing contest. Those that know me understand that this is not what I like to do. Don't piss on me and I won't piss on you.

The Wrap Daddy (the most expensive of our 4 design computers) is $7500. That is complete with $1000 worth of accessories and the fact that your computer has been designed and built with you in mind buy guys who do what you do. Our specs might me a little overkill for now. Slightly, maybe. If anyone wants a 15 minute explanation why, I would be happy to explain why we have made our harware choices. John has been kind enough to expalin why he thinks that they are wrong, but I believe that real world design experience might differ from his opinions.

Think about this. I have been talking the guys over at Adobe America and CS4 is already being tested. Without giving anything away, I would bet that The Wrap Daddy will be ready. 64 Bit, 8 GB of RAM are good harware choices now even now. Ask you fellow forum members how their 64 bit systems run. Just wait for CS4. WOW. Being that we are engulfed in the wrap design biz, it is our duty to not only keep up, but stay ahead.

Again, I am sorry this has turned ugly. I appologize to you John. We are just trying to offer the industry something that it has needed for a while. There are differences between the two companies and computers. I think that we both understand what they are. The Sign Monster is a great computer for the price. I would just offer that there are differences and that we have and always will offer computers to the industry that we feel are the most appropriate.

We strive to help shops make money as well. That is why we strive for the fastest systems that we can reasonably offer. If you can pump out one more wrap (per year) with the speed that our design computer gives you, the computer has value.

SignBurst PCs

sorry for the double post. To elaborate a little more on the 64 Bit deal...

In our experience, the same EXACT systems, Dual Croe Xeons, 4 GB RAM, same hard drives, etc., the only difference being the 32 and 64 bit Windows, CS3 was noticably faster in the 64 Bit OS. This is probably due to Windows being able to use all 4 GB of RAM and not the 3.4GB that the 32 version was limited to. In addition to the 64 Bit "capable" Xeon Processor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well wrapper..... you must mean it.... you wrote it twice. :Big Laugh :Big Laugh

At this point, unless I'm wrong.... why aren't you registered as a 'Merchant Member' trying to conduct business and advertise in a manner that the rest of us aren't supposed to do ??

You've been here since October lurking around and I would think by now you would have caught onto some of the rules.

This might help you establish a more likable personality.

I think I'll e-mail Dan Mixter and get his take on it.

Gino​

jiarby

I have been saying it in this thread a few times...

The XEON procs are better than the Core2Duos... They cost more money!
Dont price compare core 2' based machines running XP with a Xeon machine running x64.

and for Jim...
mac pro quad core w/ 10gb
A Dual XEON Quad is EIGHT cores... and Xeon not the core2's in the MAC with four raptor 10K drives

Obviously Fellers is making a little dough, and the system builder is making a little, but this is not a $2K machine marked up to $7500...

Why dont one of you guys write up a quote for a Dual Quad Xeon system and compare apples to apples!?

Last edited: