• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The "Wrap Daddy" Computer

D

DARLAK

you can say what you want about proccessor speed and RAM, what really slows down the RIP is the bottleneck harddrive speed. I built a system with 4 Raptor Drives running in RAID 0 - you wanna see some fast RIP times.....

Replicator

Here's a little story about why I will never have a raid turned on again !

Had the BLUE screen of death on a computer drive . . .

Whatever was wrong with the drive was transfered over to the second mirrored drive with the raid.

Waste of life having raid !

Both drives ended up being corrupted at the same time !

SignBurst PCs

Raid

There are disadvantages to RAID. Either mirrored, striped, or both.

My best advice (to any computer user) is BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

There are many high-capacity external drives, NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices, or even the Microsft Home Server that make backing up easier than ever.

The "Home Server" is an awsome little tool. Among it's advatages are backups of other computers on the network. It is WAY less expensive and more user friendly than Small Business Server.

I personally like the NAS device. It is a little file server out on the network. You can store files on it, bcakup file to it from your computer, or both (the standard RAID levels are usually available).

RAID can be an awesome tool. But with or with out it, be diligent in you backups.

D

DARLAK

Waste of life having raid !

4 raptors drives in RAID 0 flies!!!

sure there's a higher drive faliure rate,(if you tend to be a worry wart) but if you back up, what's the worry? i'd rather have a super fast computer. and yes, i have had a raid failure a few times, but i was backed up and ready. i have another system hooked to the network that is not RAID, but powerful enough, that everything gets backed up to daily. anything goes wrong, i switch to that computer and don't lose a second of time......

a waste of life. i think not.....

jsprosigns

An outside perspective on all this, I'm not in the market for a computer so I am Totally unbiased here.

wrap computer guy - sorry, but you are coming across as an over-protective, overzealous, way-to-eager-to-make-a-sale salesman.

Everyone has their opinion, including you, and everyone is entitled to have their say.

To have someone "bag" your product (as I understand the price initially) isn't always the nicest thing, but to come out with all guns blazing and going ballistic to defend it (and make yourself look like a fair bit of a child in the process) looks to be a bit extreme.

You have what seems to be a great product, I'm sure those with the need will buy it.

You don't need to convert all several thousand of the members here in the first short while you are here, you have a merchant classified board, go there, put your case up and let the computer itself do the selling - just be there to assist any enquiries. Anything that gets said on other parts of the forum, just people exercising their freedom of speech, save your sales pitch for those who need it.

After all this who-har, if you were on the one side of the room, John on the other and me in between with limitless $$ to spend, I'd be steering towards John, simply because of his professional attitute - and not allowing himself to get sucked into a childish game of who has the better toy.

Sam
Dude you could not be more worng about Casey when you say (Way to eager to make a sale). The guys company builds a bad A@@ computer. Buy it dont buy it. But there is no reason to be rude.

ChiknNutz

..., or even the Microsft Home Server that make backing up easier than ever.

The "Home Server" is an awsome little tool. Among it's advatages are backups of other computers on the network. It is WAY less expensive and more user friendly than Small Business Server...

Heed some caution when considering WHS...I have a few month old custom rig with WHS and it is prone to FILE CORRUPTION for certain file types....typically those that are actively edited on the server. It has nothing to do with my hardware. This is a known bug that MS is trying to rectify. So, if you build one, understand that it should only be used as a STORAGE & BACKUP device. I have been trying to use it to allow shared access to a few databases, and I have gotten DAILY file corruption by doing so. As a result, I've had to rebuild the databases several times. If I had know this at the time, I would NOT have built it yet, but waited for the kinks to be worked out. I just wanted something simple that I wouldn't have to be a MSCE to administrate.

Goes to show you that you shouldn't jump onto the latest/newest product out there until it's a proven item. I normally don't, but all the reviews and beta testing pointed to it being a really good product.

cdiesel

I'm no techie either, but I've spent considerable time studying our systems and how they run. I have to say Darlak hit the nail on the head. You can put 20 processors in a machine but if the drives can't keep up, the processors will be sittin idle.
Some of you may recall my discussions here regarding using SAS drives. I've got six SCSI drives in my machine.. Four running RAID 5 (hot swap) for the program files & data files, and two others running RAID 0 for the windows & PS swap file. It's got a Core2Duo 2.93 Xtreme, and still waits on files.
I've also got a new RIP station ordered.. Cost me $800. I don't care how fast you can RIP a file--you'll be printing it much slower. Just click on "RIP while printing" and you're good to go.

cdiesel

Oh yeah.. and backups run nightly to a removeable network drive, which is switched every night and taken home! Best $250 I ever spent!

Graphicholik3

All I gotta say is they are outta there minds! You can build a computer faster for about 4k w/ (2) 22" monitors. But hey it's all about marketing, if they can sell it then more power to them!

SignBurst PCs

Well this one has been dug up from the depths...

As I understand, Fellers has reduced the price to $5000 for the Wrap Daddy (which we built for them). At that price, with everything that it comes with, it isn't a bad price.

The catch is that is a little outdated. It is still faster than 95% of the computers out there and is perfectly capable of designing wraps, but it is a step behind our SignBurst systems (which you can also buy through Fellers or direct from Hotwiredtech/SignBurst).

Almost every SignBurst system has integrated the i7 CPU or Xeon "Nehalem" CPU which are greatly outperforming the slightly older Core and Core 2 chipsets. The performance of the i7 and "Nehalem" Xeon systems is nothing short of amazing.