• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Think Tank for sign makers. I wonder if there might be any interest. I am open for discussion.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Whaaa.....?? :confused: You have a friend ??

See, these things work, if we're all meeting somewhere/someplace and can all take part all at one time. Nothing is lost in time or keyboard wizards. You can have several people talking at once and still get things accomplished. This internet sh!t will not work and everyone will tire of it kinda quickly. No offense to Robert, but it ain't gonna work. Keep brainstorming and testing this stuff out, before you just blurt it out as a thread or invitation. We'll get ya situated, yet. o_O
Gino, from your recent experience, have you noticed any difference in the brand new sign makers that you may have seen here on Signs101? For example, every day, dozens of new members join Signs101. As you see it, are they any different from those who joined say a year ago?
Here is my interest. I sense that the new sign makers come with a different mindset. I wonder if you have seen any inkling of that?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Ahhh, sounds like a decent idea, but isn't that what this forum is all about ?? Afterall, it has it put into categories and just about everything already to go.
That's what I was thinking. Thought I was missing something.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Robert, there ya go again...... you start a thread about one thing and in an instant, you're off on four different tangents. How could anyone possibly follow you on anything ?? If ya start a thread, try to stay focused. You're confusing readers and having people answering one thing, then the next..... all on the same thread. How in the world can anyone follow this horsepucky ?? If you wanna take control, take control. Don't be the one to ruin your own thread.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, there ya go again...... you start a thread about one thing and in an instant, you're off on four different tangents. How could anyone possibly follow you on anything ?? If ya start a thread, try to stay focused. You're confusing readers and having people answering one thing, then the next..... all on the same thread. How in the world can anyone follow this horsepucky ?? If you wanna take control, take control. Don't be the one to ruin your own thread.
Gino, I deliberately started this as a wide open thread. If it goes off in dozens of different directions, I am looking to hear what interests different people. I still want to keep this thread wide open. There may be many others who have different ideas and I want to listen.

Stacey K

I like making signs
What kind of "new sign start-ups"? Are you talking about Cricuit owners? Online stores? Etsy stores? I don't understand.

The only thing new I ever see opening up is women buying Cricuits and making shirts and decals for their friends and selling a few here and there. They rarely go much further because they realize the time and money you spend doing 1 shirt and 1 decal at a time isn't worth it. Three of them in my area in the last few months...FB posts galore, now...silence. It takes A LOT of work to make the leap from making uncle Bob a decal to being a ligit sign or shirt company. Most people are too lazy to put the effort and research in.

Gene@mpls

I strongly suspect that the world in 5 years will be very different to the one last year. Between the election and covid and countries deciding that outsourcing many, many items is not sustainable.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
What kind of "new sign start-ups"? Are you talking about Cricuit owners? Online stores? Etsy stores? I don't understand.

The only thing new I ever see opening up is women buying Cricuits and making shirts and decals for their friends and selling a few here and there. They rarely go much further because they realize the time and money you spend doing 1 shirt and 1 decal at a time isn't worth it. Three of them in my area in the last few months...FB posts galore, now...silence. It takes A LOT of work to make the leap from making uncle Bob a decal to being a ligit sign or shirt company. Most people are too lazy to put the effort and research in.
Stacey K, your input is very much appreciated. Do you sense that there is going to more or less of these kind people opening up?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I strongly suspect that the world in 5 years will be very different to the one last year. Between the election and covid and countries deciding that outsourcing many, many items is not sustainable.
Gene, I appreciate that you have joined this thread. Thank you.
If you primarily think about your own sign making business, do you think there might be value in preemptively preparing for what seems to be on the horizon?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I deliberately started this as a wide open thread. If it goes off in dozens of different directions, I am looking to hear what interests different people. I still want to keep this thread wide open. There may be many others who have different ideas and I want to listen.

What you deliberately do and what gets accomplished are two entirely different animals. You can do it anyway you see fit, but you are not taking other people's views into perspective. If someone sees this title, they may or may not join in, but if they don't, they'll never see the other comments and areas you spin off into. You're taking people in so many directions, this stuff gets hard to follow. It can actually get to a point, it's so muddled, it's not worth reading past the first few posts and then the rest is lost.

Again, you handle it how you see fit, but if you titled all of your threads accordingly, they'd be answered in the same fashion, instead of willy-nilly.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
What you deliberately do and what gets accomplished are two entirely different animals. You can do it anyway you see fit, but you are not taking other people's views into perspective. If someone sees this title, they may or may not join in, but if they don't, they'll never see the other comments and areas you spin off into. You're taking people in so many directions, this stuff gets hard to follow. It can actually get to a point, it's so muddled, it's not worth reading past the first few posts and then the rest is lost.

Again, you handle it how you see fit, but if you titled all of your threads accordingly, they'd be answered in the same fashion, instead of willy-nilly.
For this thread, I hope to get as many different perspectives as I can get. And, for each new perspective, I will acknowledge that I have heard them.
So, we already have the making of several new threads coming up soon. But for now, I want to keep the door wide open for any and all other perspectives.
And, Gene, your input and viewpoint is always welcome.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
For this thread, I hope to get as many different perspectives as I can get. And, for each new perspective, I will acknowledge that I have heard them.
So, we already have the making of several new threads coming up soon. But for now, I want to keep the door wide open for any and all other perspectives.
And, Gene, your input and viewpoint is always welcome.
Gene, at this moment, 35 people have read this thread. My hope is that more of them will feel welcome to join the discussion. I am open to 35 different perspectives.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Robert Armstrong said:
Bobby H. That is one way to look at it.
From your perspective, do you think the next 12 months are going to be just like the last 12 months? Or, do you see something coming that might catch us by surprise if we don't pay attention?

No one knows for sure what's going to happen in the next 12 months or the years ahead. Nevertheless, any new issue relating to the sign industry could be discussed here in the Signs 101 forum, just like it has for umpteen years already.

Signs 101 is already a sort of "think tank" for sign makers. A couple other sign industry forums exist online. The ISA and other regional sign industry organizations have their own "think tanks" with people and suppliers who actively advocate for this industry.

So, again, what you're proposing (in murky terms with little detail and specifics) sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Given the state of this thread now, I can't help but wonder if you're just trolling.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
No one knows for sure what's going to happen in the next 12 months or the years ahead. Nevertheless, any new issue relating to the sign industry could be discussed here in the Signs 101 forum, just like it has for umpteen years already.

Signs 101 is already a sort of "think tank" for sign makers. A couple other sign industry forums exist online. The ISA and other regional sign industry organizations have their own "think tanks" with people and suppliers who actively advocate for this industry.

So, again, what you're proposing (in murky terms with little detail and specifics) sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Given the state of this thread now, I can't help but wonder if you're just trolling.
Bobby H, your input is appreciated. Let me ask you, you say that "No one knows for sure what's going to happen..." As you see it, in your own business situation, are you seeing any hints as to what may be on the horizon?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First Robert, you need to find a common language in order to discuss things in a confident manner. We all have different visions for the future. You need to be more specific and break these things down into time elements and not just blurt out what's the future hold for you, you and you ?? What kinda setups do we all have ?? Are they the same or do they vary ?? Need to find a middle ground or starting point. Get everybody on the same page. You're just going off half-cocked and not really making any sense to anyone out here. Perhaps to yourself, but you don't seem to wanna let the rest of us know what it is you are after, thus the push-back from so many.

Dan360

Once I get my brain chip from Elon Musk I'll be able to design directly in my brain and plug my finger in to the printer.