• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Think Tank for sign makers. I wonder if there might be any interest. I am open for discussion.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Robert, there ya go again...... you start a thread about one thing and in an instant, you're off on four different tangents. How could anyone possibly follow you on anything ?? If ya start a thread, try to stay focused. You're confusing readers and having people answering one thing, then the next..... all on the same thread. How in the world can anyone follow this horsepucky ?? If you wanna take control, take control. Don't be the one to ruin your own thread.

think tank, you say?

i always thought my time on signs101 was reminiscent of a mensa meeting

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I still have my A500 around the workshop in a box somewhere too. Ahh memories.
When you Amiga guys bring the 3000 to the conversation, then we can talk about the current signage software that is Scala and then the OP may have luckily found redemption for his being so vague. Nevertheless, it's easy to follow the convention of actually creating a thread with a specific topic. Know however, the thread could simply be entitled "Scala" if one were to continue the mystery.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
When you Amiga guys bring the 3000 to the conversation, then we can talk about the current signage software that is Scala and then the OP may have luckily found redemption for his being so vague. Nevertheless, it's easy to follow the convention of actually creating a thread with a specific topic. Know however, the thread could simply be entitled "Scala" if one were to continue the mystery.
ColorCrest, at least I can thank you for even posting something.
I am interested that so many have misunderstood my deliberate intent to be wide open.

Johnny Best

What really is happening...
think tank.jpg

SignosaurusRex

Robert, with all due respect, I think you are trying to plant seeds in a gravel road. Mildly entertaining for a moment but no sprouts let alone fruit.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, with all due respect, I think you are trying to plant seeds in a gravel road. Mildly entertaining for a moment but no sprouts let alone fruit.
SignosaurusRex, your "trying to plant seeds in a gravel road..." feedback is very much appreciated. My original intent was only to see if there was any positive interest. We shall see when the dust settles.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to at all but anyway...I saw think tank and in reminded me of an idea that has been popping into my head over the last 5 years or so.

As a small business owner with few employees and a desire to grow my business but still keep it organized and make sure service and quality are paramount, it's been hard to find reliable people that want to work or can work at the level of skill you expect them to. So I end up hiring freelance designers, jacks of all trades or just work really long hours.

My thought was to rent an office building and call it the "Think tank" or something of that nature, and invite freelance designers and creative minds of all kinds to come in and rent office space to meet with clients and also, creative renters could help offer ideas for some of our upcoming projects, put their skills together and earn some commission from my business. Kind of like a car dealership for the sign industry. Only, this place would be like google. It would be very relaxing and a fun environment and I would invite the public to come in relax, have some coffee, use the wifi and enjoy their time there. Similar to what a lot of banks and credit unions are doing now.

Many businesses are beginning to used marketing firms, which I think is great. My idea would be a marketing firm of freelance designers that want to earn money on the side to help my business out.

Ok...I'm out of coffee...

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've always appreciated when I could collaborate with other great minds. Many people are too narrow minded to understand the need (gains) of others input, whether it be positive or negative. Many are fearful of competition.

I had a great friend that we always bounced ideas off of each other and were constantly improving processes and products and we were the think tank behind a few major projects, but he passed away unexpectedly last year. A few of those projects are now in others' capable hands thankfully, but many were also lost with his passing.

If you have any ideas about improving communication/business within our industry besides just posting here, I'm all ears.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I really enjoy working with other businesses, their owners down to their shop assistants. It is always a chance to learn something new or to discover a better way. I never shy away from sharing our "secrets" either, some of my team gets upset with me about it but I still do it. In many industries including our own, people have this fear that we are all competitors and we will take their work if they share intimate knowledge of the process. Sometimes that is the case, yes, but the reality is most of us just want to be better at what they do.

There are quite a few people on here I really respect that constantly allow a "peek behind the curtain". For me, it has been hugely motivational and informative. I have discovered many new ways to approach things. Namely, Firesprint has prompted me to really tackle projects and systems I was back burnering, I am inspired by what they are doing there and the ways they are moving this industry forward.

I have personally been endeavoring on a path to automate as much of my business as possible and remove as much of the mundane from my employees' duties. I would relish the opportunity to "Think Tank" with others, on the same path or not, with ways to accomplish it better.

Evan Gillette

I think that most generally would invite the opportunity to view or engage in a round table discussion. The reality is that there are already dozens of these conversations happening on a regular basis. Almost all of the professional organizations and manufacturers are going crazy with webinars, zoom presentations, technical/sales demonstrations, virtual tradeshows etc. I could easily join at least one webinar a day from the few sources I subscribe to. For example Printing United just emailed out a schedule for a 14 day virtual expo coming up in October. This isn't mentioning the dozens of trade magazines along with their associated emails, web articles, podcasts and on and on. All of this is industry specific and an overwhelming amount of the same thing is happening for general "business" service providers.

I guess my point would be that if you don't see the exact conversations you mentioned already happening you are fairly blind to the industry. And if you (the OP) are phishing for clients, it doesn't appear that you are striking a chord with your target market. Maybe try bringing an agenda to the meeting, not many serious business owners are waste time doing roundabout discussions, we get enough of that with our customers.

My intent is not to come across as harsh but to offer constructive criticism, so I will leave you with a recommendation:

The next thread you start, make it a contribution instead of a question. Perhaps the most impactful or beneficial thing you have learned in the last two months and how it directly benefited your business or processes.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
:dog42:
When I first read the thread title, I thought the OP was suggesting a reality tv show for signmakers... like shark tank I guess.
But I like Drink tank better!:toasting:

Johnny Best

Hey JBurton, put your photoshop shi! on yours or somebody's else's stuff. Your copyright infringing me with your dumb stuff. Join a ThinkTank for some of your own ideas.

Jeremiah

Who knows. No harm in asking.
Think Tank for sign makers.
What do you say?
Do you have any interest? NO
Has there ever been anything like this in our industry?
I am open to hearing all sides on the concept.
If you think it is a good idea or dumb idea, feel free to speak up.
Good idea NO a waste of productive time.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to at all but anyway...I saw think tank and in reminded me of an idea that has been popping into my head over the last 5 years or so.

As a small business owner with few employees and a desire to grow my business but still keep it organized and make sure service and quality are paramount, it's been hard to find reliable people that want to work or can work at the level of skill you expect them to. So I end up hiring freelance designers, jacks of all trades or just work really long hours.

My thought was to rent an office building and call it the "Think tank" or something of that nature, and invite freelance designers and creative minds of all kinds to come in and rent office space to meet with clients and also, creative renters could help offer ideas for some of our upcoming projects, put their skills together and earn some commission from my business. Kind of like a car dealership for the sign industry. Only, this place would be like google. It would be very relaxing and a fun environment and I would invite the public to come in relax, have some coffee, use the wifi and enjoy their time there. Similar to what a lot of banks and credit unions are doing now.

Many businesses are beginning to used marketing firms, which I think is great. My idea would be a marketing firm of freelance designers that want to earn money on the side to help my business out.

Ok...I'm out of coffee...
tydods, it is good to hear that you are doing some thinking about the concept. Stay tuned, We shall see what develops here on Signs101.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I think that most generally would invite the opportunity to view or engage in a round table discussion. The reality is that there are already dozens of these conversations happening on a regular basis. Almost all of the professional organizations and manufacturers are going crazy with webinars, zoom presentations, technical/sales demonstrations, virtual tradeshows etc. I could easily join at least one webinar a day from the few sources I subscribe to. For example Printing United just emailed out a schedule for a 14 day virtual expo coming up in October. This isn't mentioning the dozens of trade magazines along with their associated emails, web articles, podcasts and on and on. All of this is industry specific and an overwhelming amount of the same thing is happening for general "business" service providers.

I guess my point would be that if you don't see the exact conversations you mentioned already happening you are fairly blind to the industry. And if you (the OP) are phishing for clients, it doesn't appear that you are striking a chord with your target market. Maybe try bringing an agenda to the meeting, not many serious business owners are waste time doing roundabout discussions, we get enough of that with our customers.

My intent is not to come across as harsh but to offer constructive criticism, so I will leave you with a recommendation:

The next thread you start, make it a contribution instead of a question. Perhaps the most impactful or beneficial thing you have learned in the last two months and how it directly benefited your business or processes.
Evan Gillette, I especially appreciate your last paragraph, "The next thread you start, make it a contribution instead of a question. Perhaps the most impactful or beneficial thing you have learned in the last two months and how it directly benefited your business or processes."
I have several ideas for what you call a "contribution." Stay tuned.

Reveal1

Have to hand to Robert. He can sure stir it up. I promised myself to stay away from these General chit-chat time wasters and yet, here I am. Jochwat might be on to something. Maybe Robert is really a sophisticated Chinese 'bot' tasked with sowing chaos in the sign industry. Think of all the time wasted with views and comments. Is there a Robert tasked to other industry forums?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Good idea NO a waste of productive time.
Have to hand to Robert. He can sure stir it up. I promised myself to stay away from these General chit-chat time wasters and yet, here I am. Jochwat might be on to something. Maybe Robert is really a sophisticated Chinese 'bot' tasked with sowing chaos in the sign industry. Think of all the time wasted with views and comments. Is there a Robert tasked to other industry forums?
Reveal1, I find it interesting that just a simple request to see if anyone is interested stirs up so much. As of this moment, 30 people have responded. A few understand my request and show interest. Most do not understand, or do not want to understand. Also interesting, 107 people have read the thread, so 77 of them have read it but not responded. Can you maybe explain to me how my very simple request turned out this way? How is my request "sowing chaos in the sign industry"?