• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about it.....

where to start?

i have been the guy brought in to train new franchisees for a few franchises. i am trying to word this 'correctly'...there are franchises that are better at setting up the new owner for success than others. either direction you go (or no direction at all) there is a lot of questions you need to ask and those questions will depend on your knowledge in a variety of areas...for example business, facility, equipment, target market, marketing, growth, etc...in short a very good place to start would be to do a business plan.

even though it may seem like a whole lot of work (and it is and should be) you need to seriously visit some of the existing franchises and get feedback from those who have gone that path (with ppl from that franchise not a competing one) and then i would identify independent sign companies that appear to be what you would like to be and try to get them to communicate with you....for example if you want to be a wrap and banner shop it doesnt make sense to go to a monument company or an electrical shop.

i have seen MANY ppl with the resources to go the franchise route open their own independent shop on a large scale with no plan at all and they struggle until they have a plan...and most of the time at that point they do not have the resources to implement that plan. it takes time to establish yourself and become known, the decisions you make in the beginning are going to effect your outcome for many years. for example if you have no real life artistic experience and you choose not to hire a designer or establish a relationship with one on an on call basis chances are you are not going to be known for top notch design services...not that every project that goes out your door needs to be a work of art; it does however need to follow the basic principles of good design...which many if not most noobs have no idea where to even start.

you need to make equipment purchases that will support the type of work that you want to do. we can tell you what machines and brands we all love but they may or may not be what you need because you don't know what you need yet because you don't know what you are going to be doing yet...a franchise that is a do it all advertising company or a sign company doing wraps and banners and window signs is what you identify above..but i dont even think you are clear on that yet.

then you are going to need to address your facility. if you are going to be doing vehicles you are going to want a roll up door that will allow you to get a vehicle in doors...and then you need to think about how big that space needs to be...if you plan on doing semis you need a bigger space than if you are doing small cars.

you need to identify who you are going to sell to and how you are going to do so. having no plan is planning to fail.

the list of details involved for a startup either direction you go is going to be extensive you need to put pen to paper and start answering those questions before you start spending money or you will spend money foolishly.

as a sidenote in my experience i have seen ppl that fit great into the franchise model i would look honestly at yourself and see if you and whoever is going to be involved with you are those ppl or not the decision is much more than financial. i am not one of those ppl that would fit well into that model.

you will need to do much more research to be successful than asking a bunch of questions that you should be able to answer on your own on a forum. identify those questions which you can answer yourself and answer them and then come back with those you can not is my advice.

B Snyder

My cousin does work with Vector based programs......so I'm guessing he would be a good person to work with....

Sure, so long as he has experience in layout and design. I use screwdrivers but that doesn't mean I can repair your watch. See what I mean?

adicreed

Thank you very much for that reply that does give me some sort of direction that I need to go.....as far as car wraps I think for the time being I'm going to stay away from that. From what my cousin was saying is for now just go with anything flat......as I said before my dad has commercial property so we have plenty of space to choose from to work in.....I am a very artistic person, so I know that I can come up with some very good ideas and designs. I know there will still be a huge learning curve when transferring that artistic stuff to this application, and I know that there will be a learning curve on whatever program we decide to use. I know before we put any kind of money down on anything, a plan will have to be drawn up, with the help of my cousin.

B Snyder

I think the best way to proceed is to work in a shop for at least 6 months. Then you'll know if you have the abilities needed and more importantly the desire to get involved in the sign business.

Billct2

I guess I never understood how you can be trained in a few weeks, much less months, how to run a sign shop. The various skills involved in a small shop are immense.
Sales, design, materials, production, installation, management, each of which have a huge skill set of their own.
Around here there has been a high turnover of some franchise shops, there have also been a lot of independent start ups that also fail. The main differenece is usually the franchise owner ends up losing a lot more money. There are also those who succeed.
I think it takes about 5 years to really get established in this business.
And to answer the question, "How did you get started?", yes I went to school, sign school for a year, then worked for a signmaker for a year, then got a job as a municipal sign shop emplyee for a few years, then worked in thee other shops for a few years each, and all along was knocking out jobs on the side. Amd I'm still trying to figure this business out.

don't limit yourself by what you have or think you know. i encourage you to go through the process of a business plan and do so completely and let your plan dictate those decisions.

for example just because your dad has property does not mean that is your best decision...it may or may not be...but your business location may be a part of your marketing plan, you may want to be located by a business district for convenience, you may want or need to be in a highly visible area...then again you may not want to be in a highly visible area for example i NEVER want a customer to simply walk in off the street those are not my target market.

Additionally just because you feel you are a very artistic person you may very well be able to come up with great ideas translating that into effective advertising is a whole other ball game that is going to require an investment of time on your part to build those skills to a professional level and no matter who you are your style is not going to fit every project and every client that walks in the door to think you can do it all yourself coming out of the gate is extremely short sighted...you only get one chance to make a first impression, if the projects you design or propose or the projects you complete do not meet your clients expectations in design, quality of materials, quality of production, quality of installations, longevity, price and effectiveness chances are you will never regain those clients.

this is an industry that you will be dependent on repeat business, if you have to find a new client everytime you need work you will fail.

and Bill I agree you CAN NOT be trained in a few weeks. what you do is you teach them the absolute basics and send them on their way to build upon those basics. The first thing I told everyone that I provided training to was that all I am doing is exposing them to the fundamentals and by no means are they now 'experienced'. All too often these new owners ego's get in the way because of their prior successes in other industries that they think they can master anything by osmosis and they struggle...those that can listen and realize that they are only getting the basics and are willing to go to any lengths to learn, those that can look at how something is made and think through the process usually have some success...but there are many that will never get any of it because they can not get out of their own way...they think they can do anything and everything themselves..they fail to hire experienced designers, production and installers...they fail the majority of the time...it just depends how much money they are willing to throw away on the ride down...and i have seen some people throw amazing amounts of money (MILLIONS of dollars into a losing sign company) even when i am screaming at them that the best thing that they could do was close the doors. you can't save many ppl from themselves.

Techman

Adicreed.
You are way out of your league. You are wasting your time.
You have no business sence, You have no graphics training, you have no idea abotu signs, you cannot even assemble a banner. You have no suppliers, you have no idea what materials to purchase. You have nothing but a dream.

Two weeks free training is worthless. Free help from your graphics vector art person is useless.

You don't even know if you will like this work or not.

SignManiac

Dan gave you an excellent answer, think about it seriously. How long has your cousin been in the business and where, how did he learn?

I've been in the business full time for thirty six year now and I feel like everyday I'm still in school. You will never stop learning in this profession if you really want to succeed. In three weeks of hardcore training I can teach you what I have learned but I doubt your brain would be able to retain it all.

Knowledge is key but applied knowledge is just as important. Aside from the creative demands put on this profession, you also need the hands on craftsmanship skills that go into production.

I have guys working for me who can hardly handle a hammer or screw gun yet they are great at the technical end of the business. Running the computers, printers, router table. You really need to be a competent jack of all trades or you wont get too far.

I suggest you spend more time than money on researching this thoroughly. It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

adicreed

Techman.
You are an a*****, you wasted your time telling me that.
You have no tact, you have no people skills you have no idea what an ass you just made of yourself.......

You tell me I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need to learn......what exactly were you accomplishing with that statement? All I got out of your useless babble is that I don't need your comments and I don't want your advice. No need to be a asshole to people who are considering trying to better themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesignexpert

OK... let's take a deep breath... and... exhale.

Adicreed, you have received some well thought out and useful answers to your questions here. DanStriker especially took considerable time to provide valid concerns, suggestions and legitimate questions to ask so I would recommend you really listen to what he has to say here.

As a temporary solution / suggestion, so take a look at this website and work your way thru the information. Note that this section is basic information about starting a sign shop but it will walk you thru a lot of the info you will need to get more acquainted with the industry. Once you have this info under your belt then you will definitely have a little better handle on what you & your father are getting into and how you might move in a constructive direction.

Good luck!

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com

BobM

Adicreed, first of all relax. Take the positive tact. There has been some very good advice offered to you in this thread. Beyond that good advice I would suggest that you spend a lot of time reading various post on Signs 101. You will see from those posts that this, like all skilled industries, takes some amount of background/education/work experiance. Franchise success rates vary with the complexity of the industry. You don't sound like a typical franchise owner. Perhaps there is a local sign shop for sale with owner training (at least a year) avaliable. Moving an existing business into one of your fathers properties could make the difference between making a go of it or not. Do your homework, understand this business is not as easy you think. Good luck.

ProWraps

my question is simple. why would you start a business that you have so little experience in, that you dont even know if you will enjoy doing it? thats crazy to me.

as far as techman. he is 100% correct on everything he said. none of us like to hear the truth sometimes, but sometimes, it can save you a ton of money and headache.

adicreed

I completely agree with you you guys have been very very helpful and I greatly appreciate all of the input, lol I just can't stand a****.....either way my bad for the outburst. And thanks again to all of you who took the time out of your busy schedules to give me some good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After a business plan... you have one major hurtle. Learn... then earn. You only learn by practicing. Practice is what you do on your own and don't get paid for, while actual jobs that you get paid for will only walk through your door when you're rather accomplished at what you do. How did everyone else get started doesn't matter. Keep your nose in your own back yard and don't worry about your neighbor. They don't pay your bills.

You keep coming back with excuses and that's no way to start ANY business. If you come here looking for help and you knock everything others tell you... regardless as to your opinion of its usefulness or not.... you probably won't continue getting any help... good or bad.

Tech was right on the money and in the long run probably saving you a lot of time, money and headaches. If all you want to hear is how wonderful this industry is and the rewards many of us collect, then get in line and start learning. Remember, from your mouth…. it’s your Dad that is accomplished and your cousin that has the know~how. You seem to be bringing nothing to the table except a bunch of stories and songs and dances.

Don’t try to bite the hands that might be feeding you here. Many on this site can and will help you, but you’ve been given more than a few weeks worth of homework and you’re still not satisfied.

Calm down a little and stop giving so much rope to hang yourself with….. you’re not helping yourself in the least.

Good Luck............................

cmaxdesigns

OP - I started my own sign business about a year ago with no prior knowledge of sign making. I didn't even know what a grommet or plotter was. However, in one year I have become profitable and enjoy waking up each day knowing I get to be creative and make more people happy with the products I deliver.

I was an art director for 7 years and decided I no longer wanted to work for someone else. I took some of my savings purchased a printer which within 3 months I replaced because it was a POS. I sold it and purchased a VP540 and a RS laminator. I have had so much success within a year and to see my customers faces when I deliver their product is better then the money I am getting paid. I have purchased a second VP540 a Heat Press with the profits I have made and I did not finance anything.

The key to my success I believe is from my design knowledge and I didn't go out and get a bunch of lease payments. It allows you to think clearly and go at your own pace when you don't have a huge nut every month.

My point is I think anyone can do this business if they really put their heart into it and yes your customers want pretty not inexperience so it would be beneficial to find a designer before you get to deep into it. There will be frustration, what job doesn't. When I started doing wraps they made me want to say F it but I stuck to it and now I love it. Hope this helps.

Ponto

OP - I started my own sign business about a year ago with no prior knowledge of sign making. I didn't even know what a grommet or plotter was. However, in one year I have become profitable and enjoy waking up each day knowing I get to be creative and make more people happy with the products I deliver.

I was an art director for 7 years and decided I no longer wanted to work for someone else. I took some of my savings purchased a printer which within 3 months I replaced because it was a POS. I sold it and purchased a VP540 and a RS laminator. I have had so much success within a year and to see my customers faces when I deliver their product is better then the money I am getting paid. I have purchased a second VP540 a Heat Press with the profits I have made and I did not finance anything.

The key to my success I believe is from my design knowledge and I didn't go out and get a bunch of lease payments. It allows you to think clearly and go at your own pace when you don't have a huge nut every month.

My point is I think anyone can do this business if they really put their heart into it and yes your customers want pretty not inexperience so it would be beneficial to find a designer before you get to deep into it. There will be frustration, what job doesn't. When I started doing wraps they made me want to say F it but I stuck to it and now I love it. Hope this helps.

:omg:WOW... great story... and if you are still following this thread I'd like to know how you define success...?

JP

onesmf

If you have the scratch to buy the franchise, hire employees to run it and if you have the additional scratch for unexpected expenses, then go for it. If you have the scratch to do all that, then start your own business. If you have the scratch to do any of the above and your father is a successful, self made entrepenuer looking for something to do, then owning a franchise should send chills up his spine. From what you have posted, it appears as though you have some pretty good resources at your disposal regarding starting a business. Utilize those resources and forget any franchise operation. Lastly, and I think you likely realize this, however sometimes when someone else says it, the brain finally registers it, your personal lack of expertise will likely hamper any significant growth in the immediate future. Food for thought.

P.S. I once went the franchise route. It is a dead end road! You end up working your butt off for someone else in the end, just like a 9 - 5 job!