• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This may be one of the "Noobiest" questions ever asked ;-)

trakers

OK, so here's the question, although I am a bit embarrassed to ask.

So now that I actually pay attention to signage I see a *lot* of vinyl lettering that has an outline. For example the word "sale" in 4" high letters in red with 3/8" black outline around each letter.

I'm sure when my machine gets here and I use the S/W I will understand, but until then anyone care to enlighten me? One would think it would be as simple as highlighting the text and selecting border, outline or something similar. What about shadows? I assume both of these effects are layering of different vinyl colors?

Please be gentle.

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

My, my. You couldn't be at all anxious to get your MACHINE? LOL Yep! (answer). You,ll have more fun than a.....well, lets just leave it at that.:thumb: By the way.....:Welcome: 2 :signs101:

Replicator

Simple as clicking on an outline/contour effect or drop shadow effect in your software, and hitting send !

1st you'll cut the main color vinyl . . . 2nd you'll cut the contour or shadow color vinyl !

Ken

It can be as simple as Cutting two layers of vinyl and laying one on top of the other (properly aligned). A shadow can be done the same way, or your software may allow you to cut your main text, then the shadow bit as a separate "slice".
If you mention the machine and software you may get better replies than this.
Cheers!
Ken

trakers

Doh, sorry. After a long time looking, analyzing, sweating, looking again, searching, comparing and a *lot* of unproductive fretting I decided today on a genuine Graphtec CE5000-60 with Lxi Master Plus software.

And, yep, I can hardly wait to get it. he he.

Ken

Well, I'm right behind you on ordering one of those.( Gotta go and count the money under the bed...) But I am hoping to just use corel and use the included bridge program.(Cutting Master Plug-in) for my output.
Cheers!
Ken

trakers

Yeah I heard that. I need to make sure SW doesn't strip the program that Graphtec includes as strandard (Cutting Master 2 Production Manager and Plug-in) out.

Here's how I looked at it, correct me if I've overlooked something.

I'm paying a grand for the software, ouch! But a heck of a lot less than buying Flexi8. Last time I spent a grand on software was when I bought Studio 8 and it hurt just as badly then.

Let's say I decide to ditch the LXi software because I like using Corel better, doubtful though since I despise Corel.

SW sells the full Lxi Master Pro software separately for $2,295. I would hope I would be able to turn the full software package for $800 or $900 thereby minimizing my loss and allowing another buyer to get the software for less.

To be honest I am more concerned about the upgrade costs. I see right now Vista is not officially supported. That concerns me a bit. If a "new" version if LXi comes out next month that officially supports Vista, will the upgrade be free (as it should be) or will it cost several hundred dollars?

Last edited:

Ken

The Cutting Master also supports Illustrator, if that is more to your liking.
Vista? Don't think I'll be switching to that anytime soon.
Ken

Techman

wow,, sorry you despise corel
X3 with cocut pro would cost you about 700 and you would have everything you would ever need.. And, not have to sell the other higher priced software.

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. The cutter and LXi will work. Graphtec CE5000 is a very good entry level cutter and the LXi is a design and cutting program. CorelX3....you should really learn a bit about it. It is "the best bang for the buck" in a full featured design program. The cut program that comes with your cutter is a very basic form of Flexi. Save yourself time and use the LXi to cut.

Lance

Hey trakers, what's your concern about Corel ?
Had a bad experience with it or simply got a liking for something else ?
Lots on this forum use it exclusively as I do. Nothing else, just X3, and send direct to my cutter, an old and reliable PNC1000.
What is it that has turned you off Corel ?

trakers

"What is it that has turned you off Corel ?"

Years ago I purchased and attempted to use Corel. From the stacks of manuals and reference guides on my bookshelf behind me looks like it was Version 4. I found it to be difficult to understand, unintuitive and frustrating.

Is it fair for me to hold a grudge that long against Corel? Nope and I know that, but there it is anyway.

In a similar vein over 10 years ago when I started my first business I went out and purchased Photoshop because I was goaded into thinking "That is what "professionals" use."

After quickly discovering that Photoshop may be the worst program I have ever used, ever, I then got hooked up with PhotoImpact from ULead which perhaps the most user friendly, intuitive and simply awesome program I is have ever used. I could accomplish tasks in a fraction of the time using PhotoImpact that Photoshop took.

Back then PhotoShop was geared towards the print industry and took *years* for them to get up to speed for the web. The kicker was PhotoImpact cost less than a $100 for the initial purchase and upgrades run $50. Ulead is, comparative wise, a smaller company, much more agile in providing useful program updates. That is why my shelf contains one old dusty unused Photoshop box and a whole row of PhotoImpact boxes (From Version 3 up to the latest version I have 12)

Many of my fellow designers would give me the "look down the nose" as I trumpeted the benefits of PhotoImpact, but my philosophy was that I would use the tools which provided me with the best results regardless of price.

Anyway, sorry for that diversion. Let me ask you this, I am not really understanding the relationship of Corel and the program that will come with the Graphtec. I guess I thought the Graphtec program was simply a "driver" or “bridge” for lack of a better term. My thinking is a dedicated sign program was the way to go. I’m I way off base here?

If I were to give Corel a try I'm not understanding how I would accomplish things like tiling smaller designs onto a wide sheet of vinyl, outline letters with different colors, etc. Obviously it can be done, but are you guys telling me that Corel can as easily perform these functions as Flexi? I guess I’m expecting Flexi (LXi) to be sign cutter aware. Am I wrong?

I figured a sign program would have those common tasks setup as easy to perform functions.

Hell, I don't know, my head hurts over this whole ordeal. All I want is a cutter that will last me until *I’m* ready to upgrade and a design program that I can get up to speed on very quickly for cutting relatively simple designs.

chopper

Iam not a user of corel altho alot of sign folks choose the program, alot of it is cost driven,
I use signlab, it is similar to flexi, from what I can tell you can pertty much do the same things in each program, however I belive that it takes a few more steps to acomplish the same things in corel that you can do in flexi or signlab with one step,
and you wont have to export to a cutter program either, it just comes down to what program you learned with I find using signlab easy and quick to get the affects done that I want to do, and I am sure that those that use corel will say the same thing...when you get your new equipment, it will be important to take the time to get to understand the software and how it works, it can get frustrating but be patient....once you learn it your set,
good luck // chopper

Jackpine

Corel came out as a desktop publishing program and quickly was adopted for graphic designs and signs. CadLink ( Signlab) used it as the design part for their cutter interface way back in DOS days. Maybe you should take a deep breath and learn a little at a time and you will see where Corel can be a powerful tool once you have a handle on how thing work. There is always a learning curve. I just switched from Signlab 7.1 (sold it with my CNC) to Flexi and it is trying but I know it will smooth out soon. Be patient it will get better.

Terollee

Welcome Good Choice!

You made the right choice with Lxi. Once you get it set up and start working with it you will love it. Your re -thinking and doubting your self. Rest easy we have all had the same thoughts. I have Corel and Lxi and never use Corel just because I cant remember how to design in it any more. My two teenage boys sat down with the Lxi and after 10 miniutes they were printing decals off by the boat loads. I have to lock the office to keep them away from my vinyl. So cheer up! and good luck with your new Software. Terollee

Holeshotrob

I bought a package from SW and it was a 24" Lynx plotter and LXI Master(along with the free clipart and vinyl and misc. things thrown in) for $1700 about 3 yrs ago and I am totally happy with it. Not 1 problem in that whole time.
LXI is made by Flexi for SW, so it is basically a stripped down version of Flexi, but it does everything that I need except allow me to design printed designs with fades and such, but I will upgrade soon. Anyway, LXI has a production manager that allows you to click a cut button and it will go right to the cut screen where other adjustments can be made. I really like the simplicity of it.

Hope this helps!

Darklight

Corel X3 is not like anything else Corel has had as far as Im concerned. It switched me from Illustrator overnight! Dont be so quick to dismiss the new version based on the older ones! :)

Jackpine

If you still have version 4 of Corel Draw, you can just buy the upgrade to X3. It is a very good design program that will work with many design/cut programs. I use Corel Flexi and have used it with Signlab.