• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tired of Being told how much $$ you should make?

Locals Find!

I got to rant. I am sorry, I know many of you aren't going to like this, many of you are going to agree with this.

I am sick and tired of being told by clients I am too high, so and so company on the internet does it for less, if they can sell it for that price why can't you?, you shouldn't be making that much off of me. They search out websites selling retail at or below what you and I pay wholesale.

I don't beat up my suppliers that sell me good products at fair prices saying I know what you pay for material sell it to me for less. I know they have to make a living too. I am glad they are making a living and employing people. I will try to negotiate small discounts every now and again but, never unreasonable ones.

I don't tell my plumber that he should only charge me $25.00 for a service call because he only took 5 minutes to fix a problem I didn't know how to do myself, or my mechanic that did my oil change that I am only paying him for the $8.00 worth of oil he put in my car.

Who the Hell gave clients the idea that we are not allowed to make a living?? I have actually been told this week "The Economy is bad so you should charge me less." Charge you less!! Really, I wanna see someone try that line with the Water company, the Gas Station, the IRS, their landlord or just about anyone else. See where it gets them.

I told them "I got bills to pay too and my prices reflect those expenses. I am not driving a New Car or going on lavish trips. I am just trying to survive the same as everyone else. I give you a good product at a fair price."

They told me, "I should lower my prices and simply sell more volume." Really, sell more volume for pennies on the dollar. Great I can work twice as hard and long for less money. This is really a good plan?? I had to walk away to keep from strangling the living snot out of them or something worse.

Rant Over. I had to vent or I was going to be doing some unscheduled remodeling in my house with my bare hands.

John L

Looking around, I see most businesses in the US raising prices, not lowering. Don't be anyones butt puppet addy.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I totally understand, but it's very liberating when you can get to the point of not having to explain. Simply smile and tell them "it is what it is".

Focus your efforts educating your customer why you're their best choice instead of defending your price structure...and don't get into a pissin' match over Internet (or anybody elses) prices.

Qualify your customer early in your discussion, and if you've determined they're bent on going elsewhere, let them go...and get back to business.

JB

Locals Find!

Looking around, I see most businesses in the US raising prices, not lowering. Don't be anyones butt puppet addy.

I am most assuredly am not lowering any prices. I have actually been adjusting some products up where they should have been all along. The education I have received here over the last year + has been invaluable. Its opened my eyes to many things.

2NinerNiner2

Along the same line are the ones that tell you how long it should take you! ... then do the math with your hourly rate!!!

I HAD one web site client who was notorious for this ("had" being the operative word ... I "fired" him) ...

" ... I just need this and that and it should only take you "x" minutes, so that should only cost me "y" bucks" at your rate of "z" per hour".

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You should have asked them who did they think was going to pay for your fine 2012 ladder collection if you dropped your prices.

wayne k
guam usa

ucmj22

I just had a client today that sprung for 4 vehicle packages. While he was writing the check he was talking about how everyone told him to go to the other guy cuz we were too expensive. He tried, got crap service, and bad designs & ended up at our shop. If all they want is vinyl, they can get it cheap online, and we can't compete. When it comes to service, design quality and experience, online cookie cutters can't compete.

MikePro

I can also get a hooker from a 3rd world country for $1, but I trust the Bunny Ranch to provide quality, clean, prostitutes for a reasonable price.

artbot

there are some industries that have unilateral price fixing. the framing (art framing industry) has a spec's sheet that is released by some framers of america or whatever that gets everyone in line to charge 350% mark up for this 400% mark up for that. for instance a piece of 30x40 framers glass is $8 each coming out of a box of about 10 pieces. do not be surprised when you see something on your bill like "glass...$45". similarly your average mat board bought from one the b-line of the two major mat board suppliers cost $1.25.

TheSnowman

I had someone wonder why I could match their online banner price (which is always annoying anyway) because it was for feeding people that couldn't pay for meals. I informed them that me charging what I charge feeds my family too, and if I did it for that price, I'd have to show up to eat there as well, because I wouldn't be feeding my family either.

Just stick to your guns. Anytime someone tells me how I should be running my business, I basically fire them. Some customers come in and say "I called three times and left a message with X-company and they must not need the business cause they won't call me back!" And all I normally can think is, oh great, if they won't call you back, I'm not gonna want you as a customer either, because there is normally a reason you don't get a call back, either A) cause it's a waste of time and won't make any money...or B) because the customer is a douche.

Craig Sjoquist

I have a customer like that has a bunch of stores and we go through this.

The other week I had my camera took a picture of his 3 year old sign that someone did and the vinyl was falling off everywhere ,he came out I said this was a before picture for me, of course ask me how much I'd charge and he freaked and when on about about how much I charge.

That's when I said do I come to your store pick out several items and tell you how much I'll pay.?
Also every job I've done you have been more then happy and has lasted longer then that sign.

I sold another store of signs.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I get the same exact thing all the time...sometimes in roundabout ways and in direct ways from people I call my friends. Like they say, stick to your guns.....its all Ive done. We put out a good product at a fair price so we can all make a living.

SignManiac

The smartest thing I have learned in this business is to say you're fired. Never regretted losing a client who did not appreciate what I can offer them!

JoshLoring

I ask where they got that price and maybe they can start printing for me. Heck, at that price what do I have to loose!
They usually won't tell me because they are blowing smoke...

Stick with your pricing, doesn't matter if it's 1$ or 10$ people will come to you if your product reflects what they want.

Mosh

You know what I tell my competion? Nothing I ran them ALL out of business...price is king, do enough work and you will make money...period! OR do special work NO ONE else can do and charge alot....Only two ways business works my friend.

Desert_Signs

I ask where they got that price and maybe they can start printing for me. Heck, at that price what do I have to loose!
They usually won't tell me because they are blowing smoke...

+1

On many occasions I've tried to get them to tell me. Heck, the price they're telling me they're getting it for is less than the cost of materials alone. I've yet to have anyone come through.

OldPaint

i remember the days....WHEN a customer would tell me they would really appreciate it IF i got their work done THIS MONTH(and this was asked on the 1-5th day of the month). PRICE WAS NOT the driving issue, QUALITY of the art work WAS. and most jobs was "you know how to make it look good".........and then there was over a hundred people with a plotters......and the prices started going down because whern you got a machine doing it all anyone can push a button........SO THE PUBLIC SEES IT THAT WAY))))) and then the printers came in droves......and price took another dive.....what else is different from 1 printer to another............CHEAPER WINS!!!