• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tired of Being told how much $$ you should make?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
no one tells me how much I should charge on a job, they might haggle though. "can you cut me a break on these graphics" stuff like that. all my regulars know that trying to dictate price will end badly since I don't budge on pricing as it is.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Price arguments is something I do not get upset about. I have a number that has been determined after years of making pricing mistakes... the number I give is the one that allows me to stay in business, get new equipment, upgrade my software, and occasionally be profitable...

ucmj22

LOL. the guy that was in here yesterday for vehicle packages, I quoted him 650 for some decals on his pull behind trailer. he said "can you do it for $500" I said, "sure, I'll just make the decals smaller."

StarSign

This reminds me of a customer (Real Estate Agent) we had during the big housing boom a few years ago, wanting a small sign $15, he mentioned that the price seemed a little steep for what he was getting. My answer to him was, "You are putting this sign in front of a 1200 sqft home that you are selling for $250,000, that seem a little steep don't you think?" He paid me the $15

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, it's a new year, so I'm gonna reach out and try.

Addie, a few questions so to put this into perspective.

• Do you have a shop ??
  • Did this person and/or others come into your shop ??
  • Do you have samples around your shop ??
  • Can they see work in progress ??
  • Can they see finished products laying around the showroom or shop ??
  • Do you fabricate the vast majority of your work ??

Or....
  • Is everything done over the phone ??
  • Do people contact you via e-mail or website ??
  • Do you always go to their place of business or meet ??
  • Do you take samples of YOUR work or wholesalers work when you meet ??

Now, you're the one who said you're tired of this happening all the time, so on a different note....

• Do you actually stand there and defend your pricing and pricing methods, then discuss putting food in your mouth and your baby's mouth with lotsa your customers ??
  • Do you explain your methodology of doing business with your customers ??
  • Are these generally new prospects or repeat customers ??
  • Do you always let the customer walk all over you ??

signswi

Price arguments is something I do not get upset about. I have a number that has been determined after years of making pricing mistakes... the number I give is the one that allows me to stay in business, get new equipment, upgrade my software, and occasionally be profitable...

This. I won't discuss pricing with customers and why things are priced as they are. They can take it or try to negotiate reasonably but at no point will I discuss or defend the pricing model. That ends the conversation.

J

john1

Great post and great reply by Gino. I can relate as i am home based also.

I really don't get those types of customers anymore and if someone comes along with a pitty story i respectively walk away. I have a living to make and if it's not enjoyable i am not interested as there are plenty of good customers out there who won't haggle you and will respect you.

It's pretty disrespectful for someone to question your pricing with comparison to someone online or what not but those types of customers buy on price alone and are generally a waste of your time. I don't take the economy pitty party because since forever people have been losing their jobs and it's really not anything new. It's just a new excuse people like to use for whatever reason.

I have learned that it's harder for a home based business to gain respect vs someone with a shop you can walk into but we all have to start somewhere. Home based businesses in my experience (myself included) go off great word of mouth rep and online exposure for your area (google places, yellow pages ect).

Keep on keeping on and things will work out, Remember it's YOUR BUSINESS and your customers may keep your bills paid but sometimes it's better to run your business how you want to and not let them run it.

Locals Find!

Okay, it's a new year, so I'm gonna reach out and try.

Addie, a few questions so to put this into perspective.

• Do you have a shop ?? - I have an office
  • Did this person and/or others come into your shop ?? - Yes & No 50/50
  • Do you have samples around your shop ?? - Yes
  • Can they see work in progress ?? - No
  • Can they see finished products laying around the showroom or shop ?? -Yes
  • Do you fabricate the vast majority of your work ?? -NO
Or....
  • Is everything done over the phone ?? 50/50 split there
  • Do people contact you via e-mail or website ?? Returning clients yes
  • Do you always go to their place of business or meet ?? - No
  • Do you take samples of YOUR work or wholesalers work when you meet ?? -Yes, most of the time.

Now, you're the one who said you're tired of this happening all the time, so on a different note....

• Do you actually stand there and defend your pricing and pricing methods, then discuss putting food in your mouth and your baby's mouth with lotsa your customers ?? - No
  • Do you explain your methodology of doing business with your customers ?? - Don't actually understand the question
  • Are these generally new prospects or repeat customers ?? - Repeat
  • Do you always let the customer walk all over you ?? - HELL NO! I have made mistakes in the past I learned from them quick when I couldn't pay basic bills even though I was doing tons of sales.

Tried my best to answer your questions.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alright, not quite the answers I expected, but pretty much on track.
When you say an office, do you have die-cut plotters going, signs being painted or vinyled, anyone else besides you in this office or is this office in your home or garage or on your home property somewhere ?? In other words, is your office some place you drive to downtown or across town or just a place where you are paying separate rent, overhead, utilities, business insurance and such ?? Or is your homeowners’ policies paying for this office ??

The people who want to argue or haggle over price…. are they walk-ins…. repeats ??

In the third section the first question and your answer make no sense. You’re the one that said you are sick and tired of this happening all the time. So if it happens all the time, how can you say no ??

Anyway, the gist of things is generally you don’t come off as being a legitimate sign shop or printer. I’m not sure what kinda product you’re getting beat up on, but when someone is the known middleman, the consumer knows they can bicker price and try to beat you down. If you go to a flea market, a computer weekend sale or anywhere someone is selling someone else’s wares and putting a markup on it…. you’re a target.

I’m not being mean, but for me to say this sign costs you $250.00 and I made it from scratch and can show the craftsmanship, the quality of the wood, the paint or vinyl, the finishing and longevity of it…. they know they have a sign with at least $125 to $150 in materials
You come along and have a sign selling for $225.00 in hopes of underbidding me. The average business person knows, you have to make a profit on it. Fine and dandy. But, so does the guy who made it for you. So in order for him to make a decent profit he’s selling a sign for more than he has in it and if he’s wholesaling, he’s making a little less than I am. So you find the guy with the best product for the least amount of money. You find a guy willing to sell his sign for $150. So maybe that guy had $75 in it, but cut a few corners since he was making as much. You pay him $150 and let’s say you put $75 on top and undercut my price by $25. So, the end-user looks at your sign and clearly knows he/she’s getting a $75 sign for a little less than my $150 sign for only a few dollars more.

So, why wouldn’t anyone want to do business with me, when they know they’re getting short-changed by you and your silent partner ??
OR………..
Why wouldn’t anyone want to go ‘ALL-OUT-CHEAP’ and buy crap off the internet and totally save money ??

Most people are living for today and not worrying about down the road. They want things now and they want them as cheaply as possible. In your rant of post #1, you seem to be attracting cheap customers. Why ?? Because you are set it up that way. No offense, but you’re a broker. Seriously, I mean no harm in that. It’s a fact and you set it in motion that way purposely.

I go for a more business-minded person/company and go after quality customers. I get the price I ask, because I set it up that way, years ago. It takes a long hard road to do this and sometimes sacrifice in the beginning, but I clearly didn’t take the easy road for convenience and a quick buck. I was looking at the long haul.

This is where knowledge, integrity and reputation are built. It’s not easy, but no one ever said this business was easy. Making signs is a snap and today very easy. Take a look around, without computers and modern machinery, would 1/8th of these people be in this business ?? Fraid not and then we’d have a very lucrative business like the old days, but with progress, ya gotta roll with the punches and make it work and not get upset because someone doesn’t want to buy something from you. Get up, and get busy on the next victim/customer.

signswi

Gino great points overall, it's all about your market targeting. I've brought up the "velvet rope" theory on these forums a million times but that's exactly what it is. Target customers that allow you to be a quality business.

Though as to your last point I think we're in somewhat of a bubble with the digital equipment. Many people using it that shouldn't be and get in trouble when something breaks. They'll be weeded out over time along with those who can't properly color calibrate, etc. -- or at least they'll be weeded out of the pool you and I and most reputable shops go after: repeat, quality, corporate customers that expect consistency of product, consistency of experience and high quality service.

TheSnowman

I just had a guy waste 20 minutes of my time telling me how expensive I was and how much cheaper he could get it online. I told him three times to order it online, but he wouldn't leave. It was terrible. He ended up ordering, and I didn't budge on price, but he basically insulted me three times while he was here telling me how cheap it was to make the stuff, and how I don't do anything but click a button and it does the rest.

MindsEyeOpen

I just had a guy waste 20 minutes of my time telling me how expensive I was and how much cheaper he could get it online. I told him three times to order it online, but he wouldn't leave. It was terrible. He ended up ordering, and I didn't budge on price, but he basically insulted me three times while he was here telling me how cheap it was to make the stuff, and how I don't do anything but click a button and it does the rest.

Years ago I had a customer give me the same "click a button" line. I turned my monitor, keyboard and mouse around to face him and politely asked "Which one?" He walked out the door without another word. :thumb:

Locals Find!

Alright, not quite the answers I expected, but pretty much on track.
When you say an office, do you have die-cut plotters going, signs being painted or vinyled, anyone else besides you in this office or is this office in your home or garage or on your home property somewhere ?? In other words, is your office some place you drive to downtown or across town or just a place where you are paying separate rent, overhead, utilities, business insurance and such ?? Or is your homeowners’ policies paying for this office ??

The people who want to argue or haggle over price…. are they walk-ins…. repeats ??

In the third section the first question and your answer make no sense. You’re the one that said you are sick and tired of this happening all the time. So if it happens all the time, how can you say no ??

Anyway, the gist of things is generally you don’t come off as being a legitimate sign shop or printer. I’m not sure what kinda product you’re getting beat up on, but when someone is the known middleman, the consumer knows they can bicker price and try to beat you down. If you go to a flea market, a computer weekend sale or anywhere someone is selling someone else’s wares and putting a markup on it…. you’re a target.

I’m not being mean, but for me to say this sign costs you $250.00 and I made it from scratch and can show the craftsmanship, the quality of the wood, the paint or vinyl, the finishing and longevity of it…. they know they have a sign with at least $125 to $150 in materials
You come along and have a sign selling for $225.00 in hopes of underbidding me. The average business person knows, you have to make a profit on it. Fine and dandy. But, so does the guy who made it for you. So in order for him to make a decent profit he’s selling a sign for more than he has in it and if he’s wholesaling, he’s making a little less than I am. So you find the guy with the best product for the least amount of money. You find a guy willing to sell his sign for $150. So maybe that guy had $75 in it, but cut a few corners since he was making as much. You pay him $150 and let’s say you put $75 on top and undercut my price by $25. So, the end-user looks at your sign and clearly knows he/she’s getting a $75 sign for a little less than my $150 sign for only a few dollars more.

So, why wouldn’t anyone want to do business with me, when they know they’re getting short-changed by you and your silent partner ??
OR………..
Why wouldn’t anyone want to go ‘ALL-OUT-CHEAP’ and buy crap off the internet and totally save money ??

Most people are living for today and not worrying about down the road. They want things now and they want them as cheaply as possible. In your rant of post #1, you seem to be attracting cheap customers. Why ?? Because you are set it up that way. No offense, but you’re a broker. Seriously, I mean no harm in that. It’s a fact and you set it in motion that way purposely.

I go for a more business-minded person/company and go after quality customers. I get the price I ask, because I set it up that way, years ago. It takes a long hard road to do this and sometimes sacrifice in the beginning, but I clearly didn’t take the easy road for convenience and a quick buck. I was looking at the long haul.

This is where knowledge, integrity and reputation are built. It’s not easy, but no one ever said this business was easy. Making signs is a snap and today very easy. Take a look around, without computers and modern machinery, would 1/8th of these people be in this business ?? Fraid not and then we’d have a very lucrative business like the old days, but with progress, ya gotta roll with the punches and make it work and not get upset because someone doesn’t want to buy something from you. Get up, and get busy on the next victim/customer.

When I say office I mean just that an office in a Commercial Building full of other Businesses. We are almost like a Business Mall in here. (The building was a mall at one point years ago) We have Attorneys, and Florists, a Restaurant, Title Companies, Mortgage Companies, Salons, a Major Power line company, a few Marketing companies, multiple real estate offices, a satellite classroom for the local university, and a couple of professional training schools.

The customers demanding lower prices of me lately have been repeat customers. Established clients. The products I am getting beat up on no one makes in house. Sign Frames, Signicades, banner stands etc....

I don't make my own frames in house I am sure you don't either. We all buy them wholesale put a fair markup on them and sell them retail. I price them what I feel is a competitive retail markup.

I don't short change any of my clients. I provide the highest quality product possible. I don't cheap out on anything. I buy from merchant members on here. I don't buy from anyone else. So I am sure I am not getting cheated on quality. As all my suppliers are respected members of this site with the exception of 1 who I used to work with in a now closed sign shop years ago who will soon be a member.

You asked how if it happens all the time how can I say no. Well, I refuse to lowball any product. Its set a precedent. (Been there done that got screwed learned my lesson the hard way) My pricing is fair and currently fits the market I am not higher or lower than the local shops in town on comparable products. Both Printing & Signs.

slappy

i put a sign up in our shop that states

if you buy it elsewhere,
get it
SERVICED
INSTALLED
EXCHANGED
or
RETURNED
elsewhere.

Sorry.. ****** only works with products ordered through ******.

this is for our truck accessories, but kinda falls here to i suppose. Another thing manufactures have pointed out to me when dealing with internet pricing is, we know our product. We see it, touch it, install it, have feedback on it and can recommend with reason why one is better then another. And trust me, not all parts are created equal. We are not just a person at a desk position taking orders without any knowledge behind what we sale. We truly know our products. Again, this is for the truck accessories we sale, but still fits into the signs.

another sign i have:

for those who need to haggle,
we will gladly raise the price
so we can give you a discount.

found that somewhere, and i liked it and it does get read here :)

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
you should see my customer service area when the haitians come in. after i give them the prices, to of which are lower than dirt, for "opening their dollar store" they proceed to take out their wallet, and have a nice funeral with it right there on the floor.
"Thats too much money!!!" they screech.
....then they proceed to bend down, which, reveals a gold watch that slides down their wrist, as, they are picking up said wallet.
"nice watch." is my next reply.

weareryan

Signature

I deal with a shop (maybe someone on here knows them) that has this in their signature -
“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I say office I mean just that an office in a Commercial Building full of other Businesses. We are almost like a Business Mall in here. (The building was a mall at one point years ago) We have Attorneys, and Florists, a Restaurant, Title Companies, Mortgage Companies, Salons, a Major Power line company, a few Marketing companies, multiple real estate offices, a satellite classroom for the local university, and a couple of professional training schools.

The customers demanding lower prices of me lately have been repeat customers. Established clients. The products I am getting beat up on no one makes in house. Sign Frames, Signicades, banner stands etc....

I don't make my own frames in house I am sure you don't either. We all buy them wholesale put a fair markup on them and sell them retail. I price them what I feel is a competitive retail markup.

I don't short change any of my clients. I provide the highest quality product possible. I don't cheap out on anything. I buy from merchant members on here. I don't buy from anyone else. So I am sure I am not getting cheated on quality. As all my suppliers are respected members of this site with the exception of 1 who I used to work with in a now closed sign shop years ago who will soon be a member.

You asked how if it happens all the time how can I say no. Well, I refuse to lowball any product. Its set a precedent. (Been there done that got screwed learned my lesson the hard way) My pricing is fair and currently fits the market I am not higher or lower than the local shops in town on comparable products. Both Printing & Signs

Thought I'd post this to help remind you............ :doh:

Locals Find!

Thought I'd post this to help remind you............ :doh:

Yeah, I forgot Gino. I guess I thought I was at home when I came in an unlocked the doors this morning and turned on all the lights. :thankyou: for reminding me where I am sitting and why I have to be wearing pants. :doh: