• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To any & all owners

HulkSmash

I'm sorry, if you have employees - PAY THEM. if you can't pay them.. get rid of them. Times at one point or another we have all had difficult times. there was one time a while ago when we just had a slow 3 months and didnt have enough for payroll one week. I transferred funds from my own account to pay all of them. Just perks that comes with owning a business i guess

SebastienL

ucmg, I feel for you. In the 5 years I've been at this job, it happened once 'cause the company changed the payroll system. We where warned a month in advance that instead of having our money deposited in our accounts on Thursday, it was going to be on Friday. It caused a major uproar allthought I tought it was no big deal. I can only imagine there would be some kind of mass revolt if this happened without warning.

You say it happens regurarly. That, to me, is totally unacceptable. I think it is an unwritten contract that you get to work on time, and get the jobs out on time, then, the minimum is that you get paid on time. From what I understand is that this is a case of total lack of respect on the part of your bosses. How many of you work for him? I bet they are just as p****d off as you are. Maybe you should all get together and not come in to work the day after a missed payday. Don't call in sick: no one call and no one comes in and see if your pay will be late again. You shouldn't stand for this.

Good luck.:toasting:

ucmj22

I run the shop, and i have one other full timer here with me. there is a part time receptionist and thats about it. even if I didn't show up and open the doors, the owners wouldn't know unless i called and told them. like i said, they are only here about 6 months out of the year so i would just end up giving myself more work when I came back after missing a day or 2. :(

petepaz

Although they may be profitable, they could be having cash flow problems from unwise credit extension to customers and/or excessive compensation to themselves. Or, as you suggest, they just may not G.A.S. Either was, it's a bad sign and one complaint to the governing labor agency or the IRS will land them in a lot of hot water. If, for example, they are also running late submitting payroll taxes, the IRS will freeze their bank accounts in a hurry and without warning.

From a more basic level, they are asking for employee problems like unwanted resignations unless they at the least take the time to communicate what the problem(s) may be. It's not a bad idea to freshen up your resume and even send a few out.

Be glad you HAVE A JOB and stop crying!

both of these are valid. you should be glad you have a job but if they are not paying you for the work you are doing or if they are causing you to be late with your bills that is bad for your credit and possibly keeps you from putting food on the table or a roof over your head. you should be addressing your employer, it certainly shouldn't have gone on this long.
the other problem that alot of companies are having is like fred said they aren't getting paid so the cash flow is an issue still not a good excuse but at least you would know they aren't trying to stiff you and you will get paid. our company was doing bad in the mid to late 90's and the owners were trying to sell but employees still got paid and when things were really bad they didn't pay themselves...employees always got paid

mark galoob

been in business 6 yrs and NEVER been late on payroll...my dad is in business for 30 yrs and never done it...my granddad in business for 50 yrs and never done it.

if you are an owner and do this you are inviting a reason for your employees to steal from you...

mark galoob

mikefine

The unemployment rate is what, 10 -11% in this country (depending on interpretation)? There are a lot of people who would take your job in a heartbeat -- given the opportunity. Your situation makes me uncomfortable just reading about it. But from a business owner, trying to make a profit in this horrible economy -- be thankful you have a job!

SebastienL

Yes, everybody should be thankfull they have a job.... On the other hand, shouldn't employers be thankfull they have good employees? Wasn't there a thread this week about how to find and keep good employees? Paying them on time is the very least an employer can do.

Tim Aucoin

If you RUN THE SHOP, and the owner(s) are only there part-time from what you are saying, then you should be put in charge of the payroll and have cheque writing authority. They trust you enough to keep the business going day to day, so they should trust you enough to have cheque writing privileges. What do you do if one day (or week) when there are no owners around and you need to purchase something CASH or cheque only? What if you get a COD delivery? Somehow I don't think we're hearing the entire story here... :rolleyes:

ucmj22

The unemployment rate is what, 10 -11% in this country (depending on interpretation)? There are a lot of people who would take your job in a heartbeat -- given the opportunity. Your situation makes me uncomfortable just reading about it. But from a business owner, trying to make a profit in this horrible economy -- be thankful you have a job!

they would have to hire 3 people to replace me, and i'd have to train them, so im not worried about the 10% taking my job.

ucmj22

If you RUN THE SHOP, and the owner(s) are only there part-time from what you are saying, then you should be put in charge of the payroll and have cheque writing authority. They trust you enough to keep the business going day to day, so they should trust you enough to have cheque writing privileges. What do you do if one day (or week) when there are no owners around and you need to purchase something CASH or cheque only? What if you get a COD delivery? Somehow I don't think we're hearing the entire story here... :rolleyes:

I make all purchases through 3 suppliers who have our CC on file. the owners main business has them traveling most of the year . 2 weeks ago they were in columbus OH. now they are in Indy, then They will be in Minn, then TX, I assure you the owner has not been in the office in 3 weeks, and I dont expect them back until october. there isnt much else of the story left to tell.

iSign

simple...

this is who they are, and how thay are... after 8 years (thought i read that... not going back)...

over 8 years, it sounds like they have paid everything they owe... and have never been more than three weeks behind..

that is A LOT of personal (bad) habits to try to change in an employer.

I would simply demand an interest free loan of 3 weeks pay, that puts YOU ahead of the game... then keep working, quit worrying about it, and if you quit or get fired... you honor that "debt" against your last paycheck!

ucmj22

simple...

this is who they are, and how thay are... after 8 years (thought i read that... not going back)...

over 8 years, it sounds like they have paid everything they owe... and have never been more than three weeks behind..

that is A LOT of personal (bad) habits to try to change in an employer.

I would simply demand an interest free loan of 3 weeks pay, that puts YOU ahead of the game... then keep working, quit worrying about it, and if you quit or get fired... you honor that "debt" against your last paycheck!

3 years. But I like that idea. they can keep being irresponsible with payroll, and I wont have to worry about not being paid! I knew someone would come up with an amicable solution.

slappy

My questioning would be if it is not financial hardships, do they have another business as to why they are only there 6 months out of the year? Could they be overwhelmed and overlooking you and your fellow coworkers??

ucmj22

Would you consider making the owner an offer for the business?
You might be surprised by the response.

I have. I feel like I have tied myself to this area for too long by buying a house 2 years ago. I'm not sure if i want to tie myself here longer by owning my own business. the thought has definitely crossed my mind though. but id rather be closer to a major population center.

andy

Anyone care to venture a guess on a good reason why an owner cant seem to pay its employees on time.

Frame work for scenario is: Owner is not having financial hardships. Weekly Pay is late from 1 day - 2 weeks, at least 3 weeks a month (averages 2-3 days late.)

Any guesses that could help me feel like they just dont G A S?

Your boss is a slapdash moron.... the correct proceedure for payroll is to setup an automated bank transfer on the same day every month, or week... your money appears in your account automatically without anyone having to lift a finger. Overtime is calculated over the week or month and paid via another transfer.. something which you can do online anywhere in the world in about 4 minutes flat.

I suspect the problem is fairly simple... you're just too nice for your own good. Your boss will deal with lots of suppliers across his businesses... the ones who give him a reet hard b0llocking everytime he's late paying the bill are the ones he remembers..... and makes sure he pays on time from thereon in. The suppliers who never argue or kick up a fuss about being paid according to your bosses kack handed timescale... they're the ones who will ALWAYS be paid late.

You need to make yourself numero uno priority to your boss... "I'm having problems with inconsistent wage payments. Can we look to an automated system? I love the job and don't want to leave but the wages thing is becoming a real problem for the missus".