• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To make a long story longer . . .

iSign

I'd be interested to learn more about this portable application creator. Are there a number of these? What is the name of this software?

Replicator

I'd be interested to learn more about this portable application creator. Are there a number of these? What is the name of this software?

The best one on the market, and by a well known name too (VMWare) : http://www.thinstall.com/products/virtualization_suite.php

Note : I didn't use this portable application creator, I am merely pointing out that it is the best one on the market at $$$$$$$$$,

I used one that was developed by a friend of mine in LA, which is not currently on the market for distribution or deployment,

but there are other FREE versions of application creators on the internet if you research long enough :cool:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you can download samples of already created portable applications . . .

They will run directly from a USB flash drive on any computer : http://portableapps.com/apps

Techman

there are thinstall utils all over the net. Most of them are a collection of free utilities that work.. Or were written by some guru and released to the wild.

Replicator

UPDATE :

I returned the NEW computer today and replaced it with the same thing but NEW !

Got it home at 5pm by 8pm all my applications were installed and all the data was restored from backup.

The computer is running like a top.

SUMMARY :

The other NEW computer had a bad piece of hardware (unidentified) that was causing all the issues, it was not a software problem.

WooHoo! Pain in the @$$, but it's all OK now . . . !

Techman

If be willing to wager it was a capacitor .. usually one right near the CPU.. 90% of the time it is.. Especially on the old P4 motherboards...

Replicator

Don't give a rats @$$ what it was . . . Just glad it all works now !

Seriously though . . . That's good to know, THANKS !

1leonchen

there is a ulititly for asus mobo that over clock your processor dont use it. check or restore bios setting to default. a bootleg version of microsoft xp is prone to crash as of the new year the patches come with verification in them. also anti virus picks up patches and call them viruses. anti viruses also do all automatic update wich ruin any illegal programs . yahoo registres adobe reader and tends to crash photo shop or ai. just a word of advise. word of advise new format delete all partions create new ones loose them and reace them again. format one part of the hard disk and reinstalling xp again will eventually lead to a crash. and in my oppnion i will never change xp. vista sucks even when you turn off all the enchaments requires too much processor and ram. and mac sucks at gaming (16 bit) and i have to buy every thing for mac.

also if this is a build ninfida requies a lot of power for their graphics card ati 4880 much better
:iamwithstupid

Replicator,
we have 6 computers btwn our shop and home (the joys of working out of our home) and on each one we use a program called partition magic(sp) I load the operating on a partition that is small and then load the programs in another partition. I have learned the hard way that most viruses go after the os and not programs. Now if i get a virus, i just reload the o/s and back to work i go. It is great. I save all of my info on yet another partition. It works great..

iSign

there is a ulititly for asus mobo that over clock your processor dont use it. check or restore bios setting to default. a bootleg version of microsoft xp is prone to crash as of the new year the patches come with verification in them. also anti virus picks up patches and call them viruses. anti viruses also do all automatic update wich ruin any illegal programs . yahoo registres adobe reader and tends to crash photo shop or ai. just a word of advise. word of advise new format delete all partions create new ones loose them and reace them again. format one part of the hard disk and reinstalling xp again will eventually lead to a crash. and in my oppnion i will never change xp. vista sucks even when you turn off all the enchaments requires too much processor and ram. and mac sucks at gaming (16 bit) and i have to buy every thing for mac.

also if this is a build ninfida requies a lot of power for their graphics card ati 4880 much better
:iamwithstupid

I think Rep has already solved the problem....

..but with help like that :iamwithstupid
...who needs problems? :rolleyes:

Biker Scout

Any more crashes to report? All is stable?

Oh, before I forget... if you switch to mac, you don't need to run out and buy all new equipment. I'm running a plotter and a wide format printer with a RIP on my machine. Also, in regards to having to buy new software, you don't. If you run a mac and have all windows based software, you can run them in Parallels 4.0. Sounds stupid to buy a Mac only to use the windows side exclusively, but from what I hear (and I do have to use my windows side myself for Production Manager) that XP and Vista run more stable and don't crash like they do on WinTel machines. Just better wired insides and hardware matched.

It's only $79, and you already have copies of Vista or XP. You only need any Mac with an Intel chipset, and used machines can be had for a song and a dance on Craigslist all the time.

For instance, here's a MacMini for $375 in your area. (Granted you'll want something larger than a mini, but this will do the things you want it to AND run windows too!) http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/1196839674.html

iMac 20" for $800 : http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/1196138096.html
(I run the 24" 2.4 ghz processor, it's a little older, but fills my needs perfectly... and I always run/process/RIP/batch full size files 4'x8' @ 200 dpi etc...)

iMac 24" for $1100 : http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/1190426361.html

Check out this listing, comes pre-loaded with Adobe CS3 Suite! http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/sys/1188137887.html

Anyway, not trying to be a dick or add to your frustration... I just wanted to add some options to help you out of your trouble. Because ONE down day could be disasterous for us Design People!

Good luck, and I hope you can get things sorted out.

iSign

Mac has better marketing!

(which is why some people still think they have "better wiring" :ROFLMAO:)

oh yeah... when an ad starts "this is not a scam" and then proceeds to offer over $1000 worth of non-transferable Adobe software on a computer selling for under $800.... hmmm, does anyone really think the software is legal? :doh:

Replicator

I replaced the computer again with an Identically NEW computer and all is well now, all has been well and all will be well.

Everything is running like a champ !

Windows XP Pro is legal, programs are legal . . . The amount of work I have right now ( not much) should be Illegal !

Biker Scout

Well, since you've got time on your hands, please come down and help me out... I'm buried in work! Pulled two all-nighters, back to back and it looks like I'll be doing the same tonight. :banghead:

Glad to hear you're up an running!

iSign: (About the software being pre-loaded, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean if they wanted to buy the full versions, install them, then decide to sell the machine it's installed on... who cares? Besides, I'd be asking for the disks anyway, otherwise, I'd just wipe the hard drives. If I can't get back-ups then it's really not worth it. The way I figure, the software is licensed to that machine. Much like what SAi does with Flexi)

iSign

The way I figure, the software is licensed to that machine. Much like what SAi does with Flexi)
hey, I "figure" wrong all the time too... so no judgment intended...

just people you know you are mistaken, hoping nobody buys a computer thinking they will get to use the $1300 worth of software, only to find out they can't "activate" it!