• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Too cheap for a take-up reel

Mosh

You guys are all SO LOW BUDJET!!!!! Like the dude that can't afford a plotter that uses an exato knife. It still works but.....

sfr table hockey

Here was mine from a year ago. Still works great. Did a little over a 4' x 30' worth of banner on it at one time. It just was getting to the point of not rolling due to that much weight. Add 5 more lbs and 30' would be no issue.

It also will unwind if the printer tried to roll it back (was an error on my part that I found that out) but all was fine.

Cost was less than $20 and don't call me cheap........, now I have to get back to washing out my cleaning swabs.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55990

trakers

Dood...
What do they cost?? A couple hundred bucks?? The take up on my 1604 Mutoh was one of the bonuses compared to the 1204 when I bought mine.

Take up reel is a MUST HAVE....

Go to the blood bank and give plasma and save up for one.

Ha, you are correct sir, they *should* be a couple hundred, but alas, we are in the sign business so they are 8X that much. Ours was included in the Fellers package. A must have in my opinion, yet, should cost $299.

Of course the Mutoh one has a nice anodized aluminum tension roller that probably cost that much by itself.

I can't imagine doing long banners without it.

Tony McD

That one on e-bay......I don't see the eye's on there for sensing the paper.
How does it know when to roll up?

My HP has the sensor close to the floor.
It only rolls up a little at a time, just about enough to roll it up past the sensor.

FrankenSigns.biz

Tony,

It doesn't use a sensor, it has a tension based motor. I set the tension and it takes up the paper / vinyl as it prints. Really, this thing is just as good as anything I have here, including my factory installed sensor take up reels.

Rooster

All you need to worry about is that is sits square to the printer and has a clutch of some sort to adjust the tension. You just want enough tension to roll it up, you don't want to put any serious tension on the media. Between the solvents and the heat you'll stretch the media.

Gene@mpls

Matt- are you using the ebay takeup system? Jeff from Xpress was in a
couple days ago and he is getting the RealPro system from supply55.com
in is going to bring it by. I knew I had seen something similar and in
searching found this old thread. Thanks Gene

DigitalBBQ

Totally agreed with: FrankenSigns.biz

Just buy the import one from ebay!
OR, You can import it yourself for about $100 to $150 a piece but who need 50 of these ?

Its a low tension motor that keep rolling in the media without pulling it from the print feeding motor. Same principle use for Mimaki's OEM take-up reel.

For Home-made, you will have to get all the Metal Work for fixture, plus the flanges, plus get the motor, and create the Motor mount, and essembly. Just buy it from ebay $375, JSI Signs in Atlanta selling probably the same import type for twice as much $695. Ebay from solventink buy is a real deal. Some importer may sell it for $299 or even less.

China Signs expo has all kind of cheap stuffs. But most of us would never make it to the show since we all busy working!

phototec

I actually have something similar on my VP540- manual wind with an 'egg'
timer on the computer to remind me to wind. Gene

Hey, I like take take-up basket made from banner material, did you make that also? What is the frame made out of?

Gene@mpls

Originally I used 3/8 round stock with drilled alum blocks for the corner
pieces (same for the back)- I upgraded the front side pieces to .5" to
support the heavier and heavier rolls that I am printing. A drilled plastic
block bolts to the machine frame so they slide in and out easily for service.