• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Totally new to the business.

Chosen One

ask yourself if your tint business is strong enough to throw all its money away into your wrap business for the first oh i dunno, one, two, three years....

It seems to be more negative output than positive here on this board. To answer your question Yes

Techman

It seems to be more negative output than positive here on this board

Some say that. Bit in my opinion.. The negative slant is only that way when perceived from yoru position. From our experience... There is much more learning and expense than meets the eye at first glance. I obtained a digi printer a few years ago and quickly found out it was much more than I was told and imagined. It took more than a few weeks to get the colors output to match what I wanted. And then when I ran an 11 ft piece that blew the last 2 ft I was really disappointed. There went about $40 bux in material with no way to save it.

That my friend is the reality of it all. And that is what every one is trying to tell you. .

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think you are being treated very well on this site. People are trying to get the whole story and adding some insight on what you really need to know.

So far I got that:
-You own a successful business unrelated to graphic design...
-Watched a few videos and some wraps...
-Will pick up design and installation through hands on experience...
-May have the equipment to do it...
-Have experience with a spirograph program...

This is typical of a newbie post we read and respond to them all the time. It would be similar to I have a bucket of water, a roll of film and a squeegy, "Ima startin me a tint cumpnie"

If you have a printer, then your gonna have a larger learning curve than you are imagining. I personally recommend starting with a vinyl cutter and simple signs and work your way up. Even though printers are becoming the entry level in the sign biz, there is a lot to designing attractive wraps and it is as much of an art wrapping a vehicle as laying down good tint. If you have not noticed, there are a lot of wrap/digital print people. You are going to have to compete with people who are better, faster and cheaper while you struggle with the learning curve. Even if you pick things up fast, you are still spending 20-30k right off the bat (unless you have the right equipment already). Or you could ease into it through print vendors, freelance designers and installers till you get comfortable with the tools.

imagep

Clay, I know that there are lots of people who seem like they are discouraging you. Don't take it like that. They are only trying to express that the car wrap business is not as easy it it would seem. And it's not - we just started doing them a few months ago and although we have done a few partial wraps, I am not sure at all that we are ready for really complicated full wraps.

But, if you have related experiance, and you do, it is not as much of a stretch to go into the wrap business as it would be if you had no experiance. We have been in the graphics business for nearly 20 years, and we have found that our experiance with graphic design and sign making (and offset printing and screen printing) and the fact that we already have a customer base and business location, to be invaluable.

Learning to do wraps is just like starting any other business. There is a learning curve, there is an investment in learning and training, and there is an investment in equipment. People start businesses every day, and many of those people have no experience at all, and some of them become quite sucessful. If you really want to do wraps, you can be sucessful, and since you already have a related business, I am confident that you already realize what the challenges will be.

Our business has several departments, every time we started getting into something new I have had people telling me a wide variety of reasons why we should not do it. But in virtually every case, I found that we eventually overcame all the issues and most all of the new business ventures have contributed to our success (although I admit that our success has been very modist).

If you really want to do it, there is absolutely no reason you cant. Just be aware of the challenges, be prepared, start out small, take your time, have realistic expectations, and go for it!