• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Trouble with vinyl print sticking to new powdercoat

3DsSigns

I recently redone a sign for a customer. Had his original 52" sawblade blasted and new powdercoat and then installed printed vinyl graphics. Turned out great but now 2 months later, some of the letters are peeling. Any suggestions???? Thanks

rjssigns

Some powder coat finishes will do that. May have to use a high tack vinyl. Years ago I made some labels to go on a matte powdercoat. IIRC I used a permanent 4 mil that had over 2 mils of adhesive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Powder coating cures within 30 minutes usually, unless it's seriously very thick, but even then, not very long. Sounds like some contaminate was on there and you didn't clean it properly or someone tried to clean it at the customer's place and used the wrong chemicals.

3DsSigns

Some powder coat finishes will do that. May have to use a high tack vinyl. Years ago I made some labels to go on a matte powdercoat. IIRC I used a permanent 4 mil that had over 2 mils of adhesive.
Yes it is a matte finish. I'm thinking that's where problem is

3DsSigns

Powder coating cures within 30 minutes usually, unless it's seriously very thick, but even then, not very long. Sounds like some contaminate was on there and you didn't clean it properly or someone tried to clean it at the customer's place and used the wrong chemicals.
This was a matte finish and had cured for 4-5 days. Vinyl was printed 3M IJ180CV3. I cleaned it thoroughly with 70% Iso. I feel pretty confident it was clean. As for customer cleaning it, I don't think so but can't be positive. I don't think they cleaned it at all. Not sure what the deal is.

C

ColoPrinthead

its been hashed out here before, a few times, powder coat needs to be treated like a LSE plastic.
Arlon DPF8000 would be my recommendation.

edited to add the description of powder coating, if anyone is interested in the what&why
I recently made 1,000 decals for our fleet of trucks only to learn a majority of them we put on LEP and peeling when I was told they would be applied to glass. It is good to hear you have had success with DPF800 as that was my thinking if I have to remake them.

Does the 3M primer help with adhesion to LEP?

MikePro

I've heard Primer94 helps, but only from posts on this forum with no follow-up so I can't reference/vouch for its longevity.
I assume it would work as a chemical-version of corona-treating (flaming) a surface, but that stuff can be a mess to brush/dab.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I am totally unfamiliar with powder coating as far as application, but I'm pretty sure not all powder coats are made equally. Anybody with actual powder coating experience on here? WTF is the powder made from? Is it different for different colors/finishes?
Just like paint, there are a million different types. It's pigments and resins and you also get what you pay for.
Its electrostatically sprayed, then shoved in an oven and baked where it melts. You can spray wet paint electrostatic too. I am not a fan of powder, its great for a manufacturer because its easlily automated but its more finicky to bad prep, lips from shearing, burrs, weld splatter, surface contamination etc.