• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tubes for shipping rolled graphics - Recommendation needed

LeLuni

Quick question:
Can anyone recommend a good online source for sturdy cardboard tubes to ship rolled graphics and rolled vinyl wall graphics?
Do any of you ship graphics like this regularly to end-users, and is there a disadvantage to using the triangular boxes vs. fixed tubes?
Ideally these will go out via USPS priority mail or standard mail.

Thanks,
John

dlndesign

Standard practice for me has to always use the rools your materials come on. If that is too narrow, use the box the came in. I don't believe there is a benifit to triangular boxes versus square. If all else fails you can try uline and do a google search for your local boxing/shipping suppliers. Hope that helps.

Cmykthis.com

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Uline

3" x37" tubes or whatever size you need, in cases of 25. They come with end caps.

rjssigns

We've been using the FedEx triangular "tubes". They are free and FedEx delivers them to your door. Beat that.

toomeycustoms

Boxes will get smooshed, not all the time, but it will happen. Tubes are the best protection, but the downside is cost, storage and additional weight. We get them from Uline.

AF

Uline also. They eat up space but are not heavy so can be stored up high with ease. I cut them down to the size of the graphic so it doesn't get damaged from sliding around in the tube when the USPS punts the package.

toomeycustoms

Uline also. They eat up space but are not heavy so can be stored up high with ease. I cut them down to the size of the graphic so it doesn't get damaged from sliding around in the tube when the USPS punts the package.

How do you cut them down? We usually use a utility knife, but it's difficult to get a straight cut and very time consuming.

AF

How do you cut them down? We usually use a utility knife, but it's difficult to get a straight cut and very time consuming.

Same. I scribe a line around the tube and do a light pass with the utility knife to kerf it. Then I saw the knife around to complete. Takes less than 90 seconds.

InstantOneMedia

We prefer the UPS tubes over FedEx because they are an inch wider, sturdier, and easier to close and UPS will send us 200 at a time while FedEx will only send 60. We ship about 150 orders a week. 50% in 3" x 42" tubes and 50% in UPS triangular tubes. We ship the UPS tubes via FedEx and USPS with no issues. The round tubes cost money to purchase, easier to get damaged, crushed, or missing end caps. Also, FedEx charges a $5.34 handling fee for round tubes. we can call and have them remove fee, but that's a pain. We have far less damaged shipments in the UPS tubes. The only downside is they are not long enough for some of our products.

check locally for a Cardboard Manufacturer for your tubes. We have 2 local ones that are about 30% cheaper than Uline and we can go pick up.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
For smaller signs, USPS has small and large Priority/Express tubes which are triangular.
You may have to order them online since it seems that the local post offices normally do not stock them.
Oh, and I forgot to add they are free.

petepaz

we just save the tubes our material come with (have an ongoing supply of these) and then order the 3" tube caps from uline. if i have to cut them down we just use the band saw or a utility knife.