• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Us dot #

dlndesign

Had a question and ran a few searches on Google, but I can't find a definite answer on US DOT # height for vehicles. I'm in California, not sure if the regulations are different by state.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think they do vary from state to state to some degree.

However, for the most part, they are generally around 2" tall in a complete opposite color from the background they're on.
The DOT wants to be able to read them from a distance of like 50'. So, nothing fancy, no artsy-fartsy colors and large enough to read at a glance.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
What williams and rex said.

DOT officers will pull out a tape measure and check height if they are a-holes since the only thing they have to go from is the lettering on the interstate signs (whatever typeface that is ... 3c specifically in the series i believe) at 2 inches tall you can see that lettering from 50 feet away ... at least that is what the last dot officer that came in the shop told me.

2B

....the numbers must be in a contrasting color, clearly readable from a distance of 50 ft.

+1 nice bold font. Also it has to be 1 line, Customer wanted US DOT# then the actual number under it. TXDOT says No, must be 1 line

showcase 66

Ya 2" minimum. Had an independent come by about a year ago wanting new dot's on his rig. He wanted them 6" tall to make a point to the dot officer who fined him. Cut the letters and gave them to him. A week later he came back with his truck this time to have the letters removed. He put them on and got another fine because he covered his fire extinguisher plate or something like that.

Also I was told by dot that the 2" height is for the shortest letter/number in the dot#.

OldPaint

some things should BE CAPS all the time. marine numbers, DOT, state licenses.....ITS A SIGN........not a letter)))))

J

john1

I usually make them 2" tall but have gone 3" before because i was told by the customer it needed to be 3".

Gene@mpls

I believe there is a new law (5-6mo) that if you have a DOT # you have to
display it instead of have in the cab. They have been rounding them up by
the hundreds around here for that. I doubt if it is a MN law only.

letterman7

Knowing several highway inpectors... 3" is the requirement, in block letters in a contrasting color to the background. That said, so long as they can read it from the tower at the weigh station they'll sometimes let slide smaller copy. It's pretty subjective.

natedawg9640

+1 on visible and legible from 50' ... not necessarily 2". I've never, even just driving down the road in my car, seen 3" DOT #'s.

TheSnowman

I've done them as small as 1" for the guys that are on the 50ft away band wagon. I've had a lot of guys with tiny letters for their company on their truck, then they wanted 3" DOT's. I normally just totally put the ball in the customer's court cause I'm not gonna take the heat when they get busted.

cooltouch

2" is FMCSA guidelines. You should never go wrong with that height. I was a safety director for a trucking company and went thru this with a federal auditor when we got audited.

for over the road trucks:
colors must contrast
Company name
US-DOT (must have US before DOT, not just DOT)
MC#
KYU (if they do paperless KYU, not need but recommended when going thru kentucky dependent on CSA score)
home town operating city.
fire extinguisher inside (on door or side box where located if you install)
unit number
if the truck is leased the company (meaning it has company license plates on it) it must say..Leased to or operated by.
VIN number last 8

When it comes to city trucks all states are different for door decals for other numbers.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...ruletext.aspx?reg=390.21&keyword=contrasting%

Thats what I learned along the way