Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Us tech laminator

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by AUTO-FX, Jun 2, 2010.

1. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Hey does anybody have a us tech laminator? Saw them on masterwarehouse website. They are cheap but look a whole lot better than a daige. I have a daige that i just got , used, and it sucks so bad i cant do anything large with it.it's just old and worn out i figure. Cant afford to buy a nice gbc or royal or something and thought maybe i could get by with this "worf 44" fer a while....really sucks when you get a nice print an wreck it in the daige in like, point 3 seconds....

Tags:
  2. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
  3. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    I am leary about buying a used one, but i might have to do it anyway. Thanks for the link ! I will keep the daige to use for app tape!

4. Rollie

Rollie Very Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I got one for the same reason. I thought the Daigle looked pretty wimpy besides the UStech one.
    I upgraded from a big squeegee so the difference was dramatic. It took a bit of learning but I was laminating 8' prints in a couple days. The longest I've done is about 32' in one run. Other than the occasional screw-up (usually operator error) it works like a charm.

5. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    And why would you sell your unused 6200 dollar laminator for 3400 ? Seems odd....

6. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    I got this used daige, replaced the bottom roller cover because it was twisted and wrinkled, and proceeded to try to use it. I experimented with about 50 ft of materials, with and without a sled, and the best i could do was a 3x3 peice before a problem occured. It is impossible to get the pressure even from end to end. Because there is no roll tension, i used my hand to keep the film taught and this helped a lot, but still not worth messin around tryin to do any big prints.

7. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    MY WIFE JUST SAID "FOR GODS SAKE JUST USE THE CREDIT CARD AND BUY THE GBC - BUT NO MORE BEER" . AND I SAID WHAAAAATTTTT????? :beer

8. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    You'll be happy with the GBC. It's a great laminator. It'll save you enough time and money that you won't have to sacrifice your beer budget.

9. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    Well, i pulled the trigger this afternoon. Ordered a gbc arctic titan. Getting the 38" model for a little over 4k. Advantage sign supply. Cant get here soon enough....

10. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    Ps. I did a whole lot of research on this, looked at a boat load of laminator specs and came to the conclusion that you'll get what you pay for and why mess around with the most critical part of production. It's ironic- i am spending more on this laminator than i did for the printer. Who'da thunk....

11. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Considering how fast a cheap laminator can ruin a days worth of prints you've made a wise choice.

12. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Saw them at the Indy show today, just keep walking..:)

13. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    You didnt like the gbc's you saw there? What brand do you use???

14. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I have heard some really good things about the new design that master is selling. I don't have one but would like some real feedback from people that do.

15. legacysigns

legacysigns New Member

May 4, 2009
    I talked to the guys at US Tech today as well and was wondering if it was worth it? We need a new 55" laminator. So the GBC is a good unit? Has anyone seen or heard any negative talk about the Mast from US Tech?

16. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    i think TresL was sayin he saw the USTech or Master laminator (not GBC) at the show he went to and he said to "keep on walkin."
    I think these USTechs and Masters are some chinese knock offs. if you buy a chinese knock off, where ya gonna get help with it when there's a problem? That was the deciding question for me, anyway.

17. Rollie

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Have one and love it.

18. legacysigns

legacysigns New Member

May 4, 2009
    SignRite, What model do you have. We were at the convention this weekend and their price is a little cheaper for the Cold Laminator with heat assist. 55" & 65". How is your experience with the laminator? Any troubles?

19. Rollie

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Mine is a 55" cold laminator. The one I ordered was out of stock so they sent me the better model.
    Unfortunately I don't have experience with any of the fancy laminators so I can't compare. I'm sure the ones mentioned here are much better but I'm a one-man shop (mostly) and high production machine was not needed.

After seeing pictures of the upper end machines I think what I have is a no frills but hard working piece of equipment.

But after using a Big Squeegee (thanks Dale... I still use them everyday) it was a huge improvement to go to an automated laminator especially for longer runs. I was going to buy a Daigle but it just looked too cheap to me.

Anyways I am totally satisfied with this laminator. I can do runs of 8'-10' no problem and have done runs over 30' . I've also used it to mount and works great.

Most problems I've encounterd were user errors and part of my learning costs

mj-500.gif .

I got the MJ 500

20. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I am going to order one of these in a 65" or the model right above it. What were some of the user errors that were in your learning curve? Maybe I can avoid some of them.