• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Use of trademarked logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
The funny part is the producers of that did not get the proper rights for the music they used.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/01/29/3678851.htm

attachment.php

:)

TimToad

Wow, hot topic! :)

I don't know for sure, but, even in the US, where litigation seems to be a way of life, there must be a legal process both parties need to go through BEFORE such drastic actions are taken. Or am I wrong? I can't imagine anybody being allowed just to waltz into a place of business and take equipment. Due process has to be followed. But, I'm not a lawyer. :)

To be honest, I can't see a huge company, such as Disney say, chasing some Mom and Pop sign shop for putting Mickey Mouse on some kids bicycle, BUT, if Mom and Pop were selling quantities and profiting from Mickey, then I could see Disney asking them to cease production of the product. Once lawyers are involved though, watch out. They have to make their percentage! :)

JMHO

Mark

Thank you for the dose of reality. I keep trying to picture muscular, jackbooted thugs with Disney logos on their jackets kicking sign shop doors down and hauling off people's Rolands and laminators with no prior notice or legal proceedings of any kind.

I'm sure the process starts with a simple cease and desist letter on some high powered law firm's letterhead after some intelligence gathering is done to determine the volume of infringement taking place. If the violator continues, there are probably more terse letters and threats of legal action before the job goes out to the street muscle.

What an entertaining thread to say the least.

OldPaint

GINO....your right it aint the same as it was.........then. when the people at disney saw the recreations you did, and they KNOW how much time and effort i takes TO DRAW & PAINT....... them.......yea they were impressed . ALSO.......YOU wasnt selling their artwork......it was on a bus going to DISNEYWORLD))))
TODAY....... you got the hacks, who cant draw a stick figure..........grabin stuff off the internet and SELLING IT.........without regard to who owns it.

reQ

I keep trying to picture muscular, jackbooted thugs with Disney logos on their jackets kicking sign shop doors down and hauling off people's Rolands and laminators with no prior notice or legal proceedings of any kind.

Meanwhile in Russia...

P.S. I am russian myself

[video=youtube;oRBMKasjF_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBMKasjF_8[/video]

TimToad

Not that it really matters to you, as you don't seem to take any intelligent responses seriously, but I know/knew a guy where the government came to him and asked him nicely to cooperate and he said..... Get off my land. I know my rights. They left, but came right back a day later with an army. He had already hightailed it out of there. He lost his house, wife, family, business and everything he had. He fled to South America. This took place about 12 maybe 15 years ago. He has been back once to see what damage he caused. It was sickening. Had he cooperated, it would've been hard on him, and the rest thought so too. This way, all those who remained were made to pay his debts..... not by work or money, but humiliation and the kid's last name, they all changed them. He made a mess of things...... all cause he knew better..... not just the first time, but when he told them to leave. TWO STRIKES. Uncle Sam doesn't like that.
I know some others who have crossed paths in various businesses and it's usually not a happy ending.

But...... you know better so you just go on living in your trailer with the telescope out the roof in the middle of a desert saying..... they can't get to me dammit. I'll teach 'em a thing or two. Yep, I will. :cool:

And what exactly did your neighbor do to incur the armed wrath of the government?

And how exactly does that correlate with private enterprise using its legal powers to reduce illegal copyright infringement of its products?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And what exactly did your neighbor do to incur the armed wrath of the government?

And how exactly does that correlate with private enterprise using its legal powers to reduce illegal copyright infringement of its products?

Basically, he had several businesses. He dipped from one to the other.... kinda like Peter pay Paul syndrome. One of them was a large farm type business, one was two grocery stores, one was a small design ageny of sorts and another was some sort of distribution company. We fell into two of his businesses. I originally started doing signs for his father back in the 70's. We supplied signs for him and also did some design work with him over the years. Again, this was back in the late 80's and 90's. Some of the stuff we did, was sometimes used and sometimes not, but we always got paid, regardless of what the end results were. He was very fair and honest in that respect. What his designers did I had no idea. What he distributed, I had no idea. I can tell you it was nothing illegal, like drugs or girls. His food was impeccable and he was well known for having the best of everything. Suddenly, I heard one day the government came knocking at his door and gave him notice they were gonna start searching/investigating his businesses. He told me, he had no idea why. I think he did, but didn't involve me. We had become friends beside just in business together. Over the next few months, he continued to keep them at bay. He always had excuses to keep them away. Then they started getting more forceful, until one day, he told them to get off his land. They returned the next door with many many people and they had guns, dogs and muscle-power. His wife confided in us, that Horace [his name] had been expecting this and decided he was going to run away until things blew over. They claimed the government was strong arming them, cause they had money and too many write-offs. They didn't think anything would come of it. Well the next day, Horace headed for the hills and they tore the place apart. I never knew the exact reasons, I doubt it was copying logos or selling overpriced cantaloupes, but they came after him without much warning it was gonna happen the way it did.

It was asked how guns and force could happen. I didn't say it had to do with logo infringement, in fact, I pointed that out earlier. It has to do with how someone can be at collecting what's due them. That, I believe entails anything and everything, if you're guilty.

TimToad

wasnt directed TO YOU TOAD)))))) you got enough problems bein a toad....hahahahahahaahahaha

Sorry, I'm still not laughing dude.

You're granted a lot of leeway around here for the sharp tone you project, the least you could do is keep it clean and not offend anyone's race while you are at it.

Desert_Signs

bottom line is...........COPY WRITE INFRINGEMENT.......is not a smart thing to do. ESPECIALLY WHEN.. you decide to SELL THE COPY WRITTEN PRODUCT....thats when they get really nasty. so like many others here have expressed this TO YOU.......do what you want.......your gona anyway.........after wasting all of our good advice.

You're the only one in here admitting to violating copyright. Frankly, I'm surprised it's allowed. You are literally admitting to a crime and think it's OK since you didn't sell it. Sorry to tell you, not making a profit or advertising for sale is not an excuse - legally speaking. The Steelers could absolutely sue you for what you painted on your truck. It's absolutely a violation. You can justify it however you want, but still... YOU are the only one breaking the law here....

Desert_Signs

But...... you know better so you just go on living in your trailer with the telescope out the roof in the middle of a desert saying..... they can't get to me dammit. I'll teach 'em a thing or two. Yep, I will. :cool:

What the heck are you on about? There is absolutely no freaking way in the world that if I print a Harley poster and sell it that I'm going to have a bunch of Harley executives walk into my shop and confiscate my equipment. It's not going to happen not because "I live in the middle of the desert with a telescope". It's not going to happen because in the real world there are lawyers, judges, courts, etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
. :ROFLMAO: whatever....... ya know, you throw enough sh!t around and eventually something's gonna stick.

Keep trying ya little rascal, your ship will come in some day..........

:dog42​

OldPaint

TOAD.......... if your polish...........i dont believe you are......then i know you have HEARD MANY POLOCK JOKES...........so your being offended is really laughable. oh and by the way did you see my last name? pribish, my grand parents came here in 1890's FROM RUSSIA, the part that is now poland......poland didnt exist till after 1918))) esta domo spata..........in polish......seagun..........

zeeman66

What an entertaining thread to say the least.[/QUOTE said:
I find it entertaining that you have demonstrated no knowledge of the legal process involved only guesses....and you're willing to shoot down other opinions and tell others how to post/what to post. Its also entertaining that you don't know the difference between race and nationality so you can at least feign offense to something that doesn't even involve you in the correct way. Save yourself the pseudointellectual mental stress and post less.

Get Lucky

I think most of the data base was lost in the bog site crash or I'd say to a site search as links to news articles have been posted many times on the site about this very thing. Disney doesn't care how small you are. these people make a ton of money selling the images they own and have no plans of letting anyone else profit from them.

Everyone keeps thinking that companies go after everyone because of profits. It has nothing to do with that. The only reason that large companies go after small ones is because they have to. Reason I say this because if they do not they lose the ability to defend their trademark or copyright. What that means if and when they go to court if the defending part can convince the judge or jury which ever that they at some point they let someone use the copyright or trademark without being properly licensed and had knowledge of this the copyright or trademark would be null and void. If the copyright or trademark is ruled void it is open to use by everyone and the company loses control of how it used.

I hope everyone can understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.