• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV 84DTS Direct Color System DCS 4x8 printer reviews

graphics22

Direct Color Systems released a 4x8 printer table in Oct 2020 which supposedly worked out a lot of the bugs that existed with the 7200z. Does anyone have direct experience with upgrading from a 7200z to the UV84DTS. Interested in the good, bad and ugly. Much thanks

OakhurstPrinter

Direct Color Systems released a 4x8 printer table in Oct 2020 which supposedly worked out a lot of the bugs that existed with the 7200z. Does anyone have direct experience with upgrading from a 7200z to the UV84DTS. Interested in the good, bad and ugly. Much thanks
I know it is typical form for people to post negative replies, but in the case of DCS and the 4x8 UV flatbed, it is all I have.
We purchased the UV-84DTS for the same reason it appeals to many that look into it. We wanted to produce more ADA signage, faster. By all regards, the DCS is like adding more hands to your ADA team. However, we were given a much different spec than what we have been able to output. Almost a year after we purchased the machine, we still haven't managed a full bed of braille and tactile (only; no flat print) still takes us over 3 hours to print. In a average 8-hour shift, you can send 2 full sheets of material, allowing for substrate changeover, alignment on table (no alignment pegs, have to use the engraved mm table guide) and the (IMO) ridiculous file setup process.

Let's start from the beginning. The provided Color Byte software is another facelift on the same old sign layout software. Lots of functionality that comes with no explanation. However, returning DCS customers will likely feel at home as I believe this is the same software used across their product line (I'm new to DCS products so please check into that if interested {lazy writing, I know...I'm sorry}). I'm not a fan of opening AI files in other vector layout software just so I can access the RIP. With Color Byte, I have been told there is no real option around it because of the braille and tactile building system). My process is now taking in-house built AI files, opening them in Color Byte, sending them to Color Byte RIP, which then RIPs to the DCS Control software. In all of those transitions, I can only hope that nothing in my files has changed and all will produce with the intended result...yikes.

Credit where credit is due, this product launched during a global pandemic. I don't think anyone was as ready as they thought. DCS support and techs have been patient (if not a bit overconfident sometimes) but have usually helped me get to my nearly-desired product. We have had 4 service visits, replaced 3 parts (only one of which was a "consumable") and still have a mountain of questions. Currently, it is mostly down due to calibration issues. In fair play to DCS, this one may have been User Error!

Now, the good news. 5 G5 heads, comparatively noiseless carriage motion, no capping station, no vacuums (except for the bed, of course) and a DAMN SMART white ink cycling system.

G5 heads produce beautiful images with controllable dot-gain and seemingly easier to maintain. We get fewer lost nozzles that our Mimaki, the ones we lose are reclaimed quickly with DCS' purge and wipe system. 5 heads with 7 head stations, including 2 CL heads for ADA builds, a 2-channel white head, YK, and CM.

The dual-vacuum bed fully encloses the vacuum motor, cutting the noise down drastically. However, check your acoustics before installing as we were overwhelmed by the sound when in a tight space with no carpet.

Ditching the capping station is an intriguing step. Automated maintenance is a wonderful feature when you have it, but I find manual cleaning is faster and allows for on-the-fly cleaning. I will say that the waste station "tray" feels like a last-minute thought. I mean, its just a large funnel with a hole and 12 inches of hose. Maybe it's a petty dig at DCS but, come one...I just put this carpet in.
Sorry, this is supposed to be the good part of the review.

Lastly, there are no SHOP VACS to replace like in the HP Scitex models. The white ink recovery/recycling system may or may not be an original concept (my first time working with it) but I'm happy to not have to shake another bottle/box/bag of white ink. The system has a supply pump, running through heater areas to keep the thick ink flowing as easy as it can. This ink cycles through small subtasks in the carriage head and then returning it to the main tank so as not to overcook the ink.

Bottom line, this is the first operating line for this product. As a rep from Cannon recently advised, wait for the 3rd generation. I think DCS will really have better understanding of the technology on a larger format.

I hope this helps. I have not written a review in a long time.

(My background: Sign building for 23 years; printing for 15 of those. The UV-84DTS is my first DCS experience.)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
DCS is garbage. I've posted previously about the flat out lies they threw out when a previous employer purchased one. I'd say wait until someone else actually makes the tech work correctly, because while the 4'x8' version of the printer might have "launched during a global pandemic," they released the original version of the product with an 11.7x23.7 bed something like 7 or 8 years ago, so it's not like they haven't had time to correct the problems. But, every problem Oakhurst posted above- and then some- were present then, too.
I would suggest looking into Mimaki- I'm pretty sure they have a printer that accomplishes the same thing. Even if you end up getting a smaller version, you'd still be better served than wasting your time and money fighting with DCS.

graphics22

I know it is typical form for people to post negative replies, but in the case of DCS and the 4x8 UV flatbed, it is all I have.
We purchased the UV-84DTS for the same reason it appeals to many that look into it. We wanted to produce more ADA signage, faster. By all regards, the DCS is like adding more hands to your ADA team. However, we were given a much different spec than what we have been able to output. Almost a year after we purchased the machine, we still haven't managed a full bed of braille and tactile (only; no flat print) still takes us over 3 hours to print. In a average 8-hour shift, you can send 2 full sheets of material, allowing for substrate changeover, alignment on table (no alignment pegs, have to use the engraved mm table guide) and the (IMO) ridiculous file setup process.

Let's start from the beginning. The provided Color Byte software is another facelift on the same old sign layout software. Lots of functionality that comes with no explanation. However, returning DCS customers will likely feel at home as I believe this is the same software used across their product line (I'm new to DCS products so please check into that if interested {lazy writing, I know...I'm sorry}). I'm not a fan of opening AI files in other vector layout software just so I can access the RIP. With Color Byte, I have been told there is no real option around it because of the braille and tactile building system). My process is now taking in-house built AI files, opening them in Color Byte, sending them to Color Byte RIP, which then RIPs to the DCS Control software. In all of those transitions, I can only hope that nothing in my files has changed and all will produce with the intended result...yikes.

Credit where credit is due, this product launched during a global pandemic. I don't think anyone was as ready as they thought. DCS support and techs have been patient (if not a bit overconfident sometimes) but have usually helped me get to my nearly-desired product. We have had 4 service visits, replaced 3 parts (only one of which was a "consumable") and still have a mountain of questions. Currently, it is mostly down due to calibration issues. In fair play to DCS, this one may have been User Error!

Now, the good news. 5 G5 heads, comparatively noiseless carriage motion, no capping station, no vacuums (except for the bed, of course) and a DAMN SMART white ink cycling system.

G5 heads produce beautiful images with controllable dot-gain and seemingly easier to maintain. We get fewer lost nozzles that our Mimaki, the ones we lose are reclaimed quickly with DCS' purge and wipe system. 5 heads with 7 head stations, including 2 CL heads for ADA builds, a 2-channel white head, YK, and CM.

The dual-vacuum bed fully encloses the vacuum motor, cutting the noise down drastically. However, check your acoustics before installing as we were overwhelmed by the sound when in a tight space with no carpet.

Ditching the capping station is an intriguing step. Automated maintenance is a wonderful feature when you have it, but I find manual cleaning is faster and allows for on-the-fly cleaning. I will say that the waste station "tray" feels like a last-minute thought. I mean, its just a large funnel with a hole and 12 inches of hose. Maybe it's a petty dig at DCS but, come one...I just put this carpet in.

Lastly, there are no SHOP VACS to replace like in the HP Scitex models. The white ink recovery/recycling system may or may not be an original concept (my first time working with it) but I'm happy to not have to shake another bottle/box/bag of white ink. The system has a supply pump, running through heater areas to keep the thick ink flowing as easy as it can. This ink cycles through small subtasks in the carriage head and then returning it to the main tank so as not to overcook the ink.

Bottom line, this is the first operating line for this product. As a rep from Cannon recently advised, wait for the 3rd generation. I think DCS will really have better understanding of the technology on a larger format.

(My background: Sign building for 23 years; printing for 15 of those. The UV-84DTS is my first DCS experience.)
Morning, looking for an update on the UV84DTS is it still runnings signs for you well. Would you be able to add an update for me. I have 2 - 2x4 tables 1 of which is inoperable, parts for these 3 year old machines are getting scarce. The epson capping station is discontinued so looking to make a move sooner than later

IndianaAve

I just spent three weeks in the print room working with the machine. I am not the operator, but here are my takeaways.

Look at other manufacturers.

When the machine works, it produces great product.

We are building a network of DCS users for mutual support. If you own the DTS84, drop us a note here and we will add you to the user group list.

The machine does not provide the throughput that was promised. Bottom line is that our current daily target is 4 x 4x8 print runs a day. The average time to run a 4x8 bed is 1.5 to 2.0 hours.

Maintain, maintain, maintain. Clean the heads before every print job, even it has only been idle for 15 or 20 minutes. Calibrate. Grease. Oil. Do everything you can to avoid needing DCS customer service. They are nice people but understaffed with weak support systems. For example, our machine stopped running recently. A service visit was a minimum one-month out. We replaced parts using phone support several times. The best we could achieve was one-direction printing. We ran 20+ calibrations one afternoon and the bi-directional printing restarted.

Turn the light intensity up.

Jig. Even for flat substrates. Reduce print time for paper masks, etc. Standardize everythign so those print heads are running finished product as much time as possible.

Think long and hard about adding ColorByte to your pre-press process. If you do go the DTS path, get a second copy so you can support the print room without having to take up the computer attached to the machine.

Anecdotally, we know of one other buyer who is moving away from DCS after 2 years. He has both the 4x8 and a smaller machine. Neither are performing.

MikeGPA

Hello all, first post here. I am currently running a UV-84 and like most experiencing some less than stellar support from the otherwise nice folks at DCS.

We are building a network of DCS users for mutual support. If you own the DTS84, drop us a note here and we will add you to the user group list.

I am definitely into joining this group if possible. Thanks!

True

We just got a uv44 at my work. The latest from dcs, the ew 183 controller says the heating is on but it does not move temp from 30c even when its set to 40c. Anyone got a solition? It worked last week when they were here.

Best Signs

Good Morning All,

We have had this " Gen 1" DCS printer for about 5 years and there have been multiple issues in which we were able to overcome some of them and the latter we needed to contact customer support ( Which seems to take days)
At this moment we are thinking of moving to the GEN 2 version of the machine. Has anyone used the Gen 2 yet?