• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

van lettering should i go with the molding line or use a level?

Stacey K

I like making signs
***The only perfect placement on a vehicle is one where you take a picture of the vehicle and superimpose your
graphics on it & have the customer sign off on it.
Yes! And most of the time, the 2 sides are different so you should always make sure to show them both sides. The vehicle could be exactly the same on both sides but depending on the shape of the logo and the wording being applied, it needs adjusting on one side or the other. After the first vehicle a person letters, they find this out real quick LOL ie: bullets points in list form on a minivan rear window...fits great on the drivers side but the passenger side might need some adjusting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, again, not ripping anyone a new @sshole over this, but who said you even need to find a straight anything ??

6a00d834515ce669e20162fbd571f8970d-800wi

Andy D

***The only perfect placement on a vehicle is one where you take a picture of the vehicle and superimpose your
graphics on it & have the customer sign off on it.
Yes! And most of the time, the 2 sides are different so you should always make sure to show them both sides. The vehicle could be exactly the same on both sides but depending on the shape of the logo and the wording being applied, it needs adjusting on one side or the other. After the first vehicle a person letters, they find this out real quick LOL ie: bullets points in list form on a minivan rear window...fits great on the drivers side but the passenger side might need some adjusting.
I have to add one caveat to my "perfect placement": before digital cameras were really a thing, I had a vinyl install on a van. I taped all the graphics in place before applying and showed the customer, he approved & was happy when he picked it up...
but when he brought it back to his business, his wife and daughter convinced him that the graphics were crooked.
He actually thought I should redo the van free of charge, that was a big fat NOPE.
The Lesson: If the customer is a man & his wife/daughter works there too, make sure she/they approve too if you can :)

decalman

Ask the customer how he wants it.
If he says use a level and then it doesn't look right..... there's no blame for you.

If it looks good either way, be sure to take the credit.