• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van Pricing, Where would you be?

Kevin-shopVOX

Gotta call foul on this one. I can get behind you on charging $1k for the job for design, prints and installation. If your market will handle that price, your customer is willing to pay that price and you are covering expenses and making a profit at that price, then you are doing something right.

However, a high price typically commands high quality. You better be using the best products on the market for that price. That's how we roll anyway. Nothing but high performance cast vinyl for projects like these. That way when they add vehicles to their fleet a year from now, they won't be cussing you out because their other van is cracking and peeling.

For cut lettering on a vehicle, we would use something like Oracal 751C at a minimum. If you suck at installing but want to offer a top quality finished product, go with 3M 180c... it comes in colors and the comply make it a breeze to install dry. For print/cut stuff we would use 180cv3/8519.

+1 the price of $1k should reflect a premium product for sure.

Sticker Dude

If you are going to block it out Do it right so people like me cant figure it out lol

Last edited by a moderator:
$250? Wow. Didn't expect to hear that! If you use a premium vinyl, what's your profit? Like $150...maybe? So by the time you prepare the files for production, cut, weed, tape, and install you're making like $25 an hour?

To answer the question, I would be at around $600 on that van. Maybe pushing $700.

J

john1

Thanks everyone, $250 is a crazy low price. I really hope it wasn't a real pricing lol

I had easily 6 hours into production from design-production-installation

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks everyone, $250 is a crazy low price. I really hope it wasn't a real pricing lol

I had easily 6 hours into production from design-production-installation

Mosh always quotes in corn futures (sometimes beans), depending on the market close he'd be around $550.00 (I think).

wayne k
guam usa

visual800

No, it's not ridiculous. It's the truth. I would gotten that and made money on it. The design is clean and simple and not much vinyl and prints on it. I'm not concerned about what the competition is charging, (hell we had a guy wrapping a whole van for $1200 in a neighboring city, I dont wrap so i really didnt care)

I'm just being honest. Most people on the web are always spouting out big numbers and knowing they ain't getting half of that. Or they always bragging about art fees and what they charge, come to find out they are just like me and in order soemtimes to get a job you gotta do some art and do it for nothing! It's a chance you take!

I have leaned my business towards monument signage and backlit channel. This , to me, seems the only damn good profitable signage. Our city is not rich and plentiful in anything. when something comes availabale you take advantage of the situation. now on this vehicle if I was to spend $250 I wouldnt have done it for that price.

I could spend less than $60 on materials and do this in about 1.5 hours at the most!

iSign

Most people on the web are always spouting out big numbers and knowing they ain't getting half of that. Or they always bragging...

I have leaned my business towards monument signage and backlit...

...seems the only damn good profitable signage...

seems people on the web are always bragging about their "damn good profits" on one hand... and proving they can't bid accurate because the same brag that makes their profit unrealistic in front of others, makes their speed unrealistic too...

...the OP says he had layout time, and no matter how basic that is, there is always time getting to overall wish list from the client, and getting the layout back to client for approval... but even if we forget that, printing laminating & cutting the 3 logos, plus installing them... that will burn over 90 minutes there... I say closer to 3 hours on this job...

Craig Sjoquist

Coloradosigns ... Yes I do paint, also I do print but simple stuff that I can produce on X3 since I do not work with it much and my laptop does not have alot of room or fast really to small for alot of print work.

So I paint something like this it takes a full day or more I see at least 10 hrs
Vinyl lets say 6 hrs. print even less.

BUT you go to your mechanic and ask to repair a 2 hr job by estimate book, they do this in 30 mins +/- using air tools ..you still get charged for the 2 hours one man with hand tools, you got better service it was faster you may have just waited in lobby till car was done.

Mechanic does not charge you for a 1/2 labor he charges you for what it's value is. at one time it was valued at 2 hrs.

The Sign industry for the most part spent thousands for equipment and lowered the price, even though this is supposed to be better and faster service.

Myself I do not get what the complete value of this per say this job $1,000 because I bid this at price and they go to a cheaper shop, last one went to a tint shop... (and it looks it)even though I explained the layout to the customer tint shop butchered it.

Yes you can do this for $600 or even less and make money, so when your equipment goes down your stuck and you didn't even get a vacation this year your kids can use a class on something your wife wants new dress, and you got to take the last 10 jobs of profits from $600 instead of $1,000.

Myself I do painted work that the value is still somewhat there, not alot of work mind you but I pay my bills best I can but enjoy what I do and stress free as possible.

A yellow page salesman told me if the ads were lower everybody could afford and want one then who's ad would be noticed. This is what has happened to the sign industry.

J

john1

No, it's not ridiculous. It's the truth. I would gotten that and made money on it. The design is clean and simple and not much vinyl and prints on it. I'm not concerned about what the competition is charging, (hell we had a guy wrapping a whole van for $1200 in a neighboring city, I dont wrap so i really didnt care)

I'm just being honest. Most people on the web are always spouting out big numbers and knowing they ain't getting half of that. Or they always bragging about art fees and what they charge, come to find out they are just like me and in order soemtimes to get a job you gotta do some art and do it for nothing! It's a chance you take!

I have leaned my business towards monument signage and backlit channel. This , to me, seems the only damn good profitable signage. Our city is not rich and plentiful in anything. when something comes availabale you take advantage of the situation. now on this vehicle if I was to spend $250 I wouldnt have done it for that price.

I could spend less than $60 on materials and do this in about 1.5 hours at the most!

It doesn't matter if you had $6 or $600 in materials for a job, Why charge a minimal pricing with no value? I would love to see you bang this ENTIRE job out in 1.5 hours. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Your telling me, In 1.5 hours you can meet with the client, do the layout and get it approved, print the logos, laminate and contour cut them, cut the lettering, weed it, mask it, clean the van area AND install it in 1.5 hours? You have got to be kidding me.

I installed the graphics myself and i had 30 minutes in cleaning the van areas and 2.5 hours in installation alone. I know that was pretty good timing solo.

Thanks to all who have contributed, I appreciate it. :thumb:

P.S. Excellent post Craig!

BALLPARK

If you can get the client to agree for $1000 on that project, great job! If you keep that client for future projects, even a better job!!! lol...

But I could only get $450-$650 for that here in my area. :(

Every area has different prices, perhaps for your area that is a fair price. I don't know, but let me know..lol. I love to travel for sales...lol. j/k..

HulkSmash

It doesn't matter if you had $6 or $600 in materials for a job, Why charge a minimal pricing with no value? I would love to see you bang this ENTIRE job out in 1.5 hours. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Your telling me, In 1.5 hours you can meet with the client, do the layout and get it approved, print the logos, laminate and contour cut them, cut the lettering, weed it, mask it, clean the van area AND install it in 1.5 hours? You have got to be kidding me.

I installed the graphics myself and i had 30 minutes in cleaning the van areas and 2.5 hours in installation alone. I know that was pretty good timing solo.

Thanks to all who have contributed, I appreciate it. :thumb:

P.S. Excellent post Craig!

In my opinion, and this is strictly my opinion, BUT if a job should take maybe an hr, and it takes someone 5 hrs to install.. the customer should not have to pay for ones slowness.

and 30 minutes of cleaning in the applied areas.. Really?

and ij35 on a vehicle? :(

visual800

sorry guys that time I quoted was for install. I dont figure in time to get a job, how many times I email how many proofs, hell maybe Im lazy. I dont know anyone that keeps with all that. Sounds closer to what an attorney does to me, lol

I stick by my guns $400.00 on this job regardless of how long it took to actually land it.

John no disrespect but how in the hell did it take oyu that long to letter this van!!! 2.5 hours? might I ask why and now since we know this lets go back to the price comparison it took john a little longer than i think it would take me, should that count for something?

boxerbay

$250 all day at my shop!!!!

nice grenade! everyone ran. lol.

$1000 is fine if using 3M180C on 3MIJ35 i would be at $750. i would offer both and explain the difference. Most client would opt for the better material. If $750 is not in his budget we go Oracal 3640G @ $500 and explain the issues he will see in about 1-2 years. The client would not have a reason to walk.

If you explain the differences and the materials you use instead of just throwing out a number the client will feel better about going with your quote vs another low baller. The client will have the knowledge to ask the other vendor what material he will be using and if it is not 3M180C he will know why the other vendor is so cheap and will come running back to you to get a quality job if that is what they are looking for.

BUT - sometimes you have joe-skid-row trying to breakeven on a new internet biz and just wants the cheapest cheapest sign on his truck and does not care or understands it will not last more than one year. he'll figure it out a year later when he needs new signs but by then he will hope he is in a better business position with more cash flow to be able to spend more money on quality signs. Give that guy an option to buy.

You have to interview the client, educate him, and give him options.

Locals Find!

BUT - sometimes you have joe-skid-row trying to breakeven on a new internet biz and just wants the cheapest cheapest sign on his truck and does not care or understands it will not last more than one year. he'll figure it out a year later when he needs new signs but by then he will hope he is in a better business position with more cash flow to be able to spend more money on quality signs. Give that guy an option to buy.

You have to interview the client, educate him, and give him options.

:goodpost:

Pat Whatley

I'd have gotten $2200 for that job, made the customer wait six weeks for me to install it, and he'd have given me a $400 tip when the job was done.

The pricing things are ridiculous.

Craig Sjoquist

Visual800 ... I could not find your website, but your ad in post is great.

You claim $400 is your price fine lets say you can do 2 a day like this $800 per day

I hand paint 1 at $1,000 same or even $800 for a fleet of 10-20 or even if done in vinyl.

We do this for a year you have twice amount of work for half the money.

Before PCs 1985 about when it really started to change a van like this price was $1,000 to $2,000 and even after for awhile was normal pricing even in this area were it became flooded with sign shops then it start dropping and costs went up.

Does this make good business sense.
If done by hand it takes 8-10 hours costs $50 about.
Done by costly machine 4-6 hrs costs $200 about includes materials, machine needed overhead for machine.
To lower price. ??

I've been raising my prices with success, why my work, service, honesty is better then the lower priced shops, I've been stupid in years past not to charge more then sign real value.

Please talk to some other shops in area like those that have been doing this for alot of years, yes there are a few in your area. .

boxerbay

I'd have gotten $2200 for that job, made the customer wait six weeks for me to install it, and he'd have given me a $400 tip when the job was done.

The pricing things are ridiculous.

looks like pat and visual800 are having a price war in Mont. AL. :)

visual800

Craig no disrespect but we are talking about 1 van NOT 2 a day or 500 in a year, that means nothing to me. Lets deal with what we are talking about, not what IF! This is one van. I can wrap it up in an hour and make profit.

As far as checking with other sign companies in my area thats been doing this for 23 years and we have lost about 3 sign compnaies here since the economy hit. One was the largest in the central alabama area. Hotdamn im moving up the totem pole now that I thinkk about it!

I actually started out in 89 hand lettering and airbrushing and my freind all I can say is if your still hand lettering...KUDOS TO YOU! I dont have the patience for that and money cannot be made here hand lettering

BUT to humor you I GUARANTEE my price would have been hijacked and done for less than that if shopped around this area, so I won't be needing to ask anyone advice around here