• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van Pricing, Where would you be?

James Chrimes

I would get 200.00 for lettering a set of two front doors alone. Why would someone do the whole van for 400.00? baffles me. I hope people are using hp vinyl on vehicles.

BobM

Priced right on at $995. Using my pricing structure you get good markup on the materials and 5-1/2 hours of labor. Beyond that the customer agreed to the price. It seems latley that most customers go on line to get a feel for prices for cash and carry materials and recognize that they get better designs and a higher quality finish product from a local supplier.
You were in his price ballpark, he agreed, and you make money on the deal. Price is perfect.

ForgeInc

As others have said, can't believe I am saying it either but also have to side with Addie on this. If customer accepted price and is happy, it was priced right on.

Craig Sjoquist

Advertising value it is worth $1,000 easy

Example I've parked my van as I'm working painting another ..I get one person a hour to stop and talk.

Now if that does not have advertising value ... what are we doing.

When Mechanics got air tools they did not lower there prices, they just got the job done faster, meaning better service.

Kevin-shopVOX

like 24sq ft, and 8 minutes to install.
Denver Market is much richer then anywhere in Maryland. John works out of his house. ( From what he says, so much no overhead)

The only way something like that goes through is if a buyer is uneducated about what he is purchasing.

sad.

This is a ridiculous post, laughable in fact. My area is richer than the entire state of MD...lol. If so you should easily be getting $995 for that van. Sales is about the relationship. Price is only a small factor in what you are offering. Think about this...if you double your prices you will lose half your customers. However you will make just as much money yet have twice as much time. You can use that time to get and keep customers that will pay at higher prices and you make even more money. If it were me Colorado I'd be asking the OP how they got a higher ticket price for a job you would do for less than half especially in an area, as you so modestly said, is steeped in wealth. If the OP gives the customer a service they feel is valuable, a quality product, and they like him I (people by from people they like) he won't have to worry about them shopping next time around because they will come to him first and he will get to charge them the same $ again. The difference for him is that he made nearly 2 grand on two jobs and you'd have to complete nearly five at what you think the job to be worth.

FatCat

Very interesting to read all these opinions on pricing. Personally, I believe to be a good salesman/businessman in selling our products we have to know and understand the customer/situation in each and every transaction -AND- current trends in pricing for our individual markets.

While there is nothing "technically" wrong in charging $1k for that van layout, what happens if a few months down the road a competitor has the opportunity to say they would have charged $500-$600 for it? Even though the job is already done, I can't help but think that it would affect your relationship or possibly instill some doubt the next time they ask you to quote a job. Likewise, what if this company had been shopping for quotes and rec'd a quote for $800 and a quote for $1k and you come in at $500?

I know everyone has their markets and cost of living varies. However, I feel that we all owe our customers both quality work and a fair price.

*BTW - I would have been $600-ish for that based on my market and operating expenses.

Mikeifg

I agree with isign on this. Plus you need to figure if this is the only job they will ever give you. I got burned soo many time by people promising more work if I give them a big discount. You got to treat every customer like they won't be a repeat customer.

James Chrimes

I am still trying to figure out why everyone is worried about what the compition charges when there is only one shop that you need to worry about, Yours. Most people on here would say that they don't want to work at the local grocery store for 7.50 an hour, but they price their work to a point they actually loose money. But at least they can walk around and tell people they own a company. Is it worth it?

SignManiac

$1k is where I would be. $400 is ridiculous and the problem with the industry today. If everyone based their rates on what everyone else in your area was charging, you would all be charging nothing eventually.

HulkSmash

This is a ridiculous post, laughable in fact. My area is richer than the entire state of MD...lol. If so you should easily be getting $995 for that van. Sales is about the relationship. Price is only a small factor in what you are offering. Think about this...if you double your prices you will lose half your customers. However you will make just as much money yet have twice as much time. You can use that time to get and keep customers that will pay at higher prices and you make even more money. If it were me Colorado I'd be asking the OP how they got a higher ticket price for a job you would do for less than half especially in an area, as you so modestly said, is steeped in wealth. If the OP gives the customer a service they feel is valuable, a quality product, and they like him I (people by from people they like) he won't have to worry about them shopping next time around because they will come to him first and he will get to charge them the same $ again. The difference for him is that he made nearly 2 grand on two jobs and you'd have to complete nearly five at what you think the job to be worth.

As sad as it is. No matter how amazing, and nice we are, and how great our products are... we wouldn't get the job pricing that out at 1k. And by "richer", i wasn't talking about income, but about general cost of living and prices of things.

Yes advertising DOES have value, I 100% agree. I agree it could be worth that or more, but it's what the customer would pay.

I don't really need to ask the OP how he gets those pricing jobs. I have no problem getting jobs, we know how to price. My pricing tables are fine, and are not by any means low at all. I'm actually the most expensive shop in the area, and provide the best quality.
With that said, i still wouldn't be able to be at that price.

Here it would be MAX $750.

Nature of the beast.

Last edited:

klemgraphics

In my area depending on the customer I'd be around $6-800. I don't think 1k is too much for a job like that though, you can always lower your prices if they are shopping around and say "wow that's a lot higher than the other shops", but all you can do is kick yourself when they say "wow that is half the cost of the other shops".

I agree with James totally on this one, too many would do it for peanuts just because they think they can. I can say that I was this way also when I started out, but soon realized there was more value in my work and this profit is necessary to sustain a healthy business.

Charge what your market can bear, just imagine how cheap gas would be if the oil industry was ran by sign shop owners.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on the drawings posted by the OP, we’d be around $500 to $600 if someone else did the design work and we just had to produce and install it.

First of all, as mentioned, you can’t base your pricing in Maryland from someone in Oklahoma or Washington State, but you can definitely get a feel for what the country’s average is going to be. Getting ideas or a feel for the value of what you did, but not using others pricing structures is only good advice. That being said, next is where the real problem comes into play.

The layout is so simple and so geometrically placed that it has no feel or flow going on. It has some color and effects, but if you’d take them away, the whole layout and balance is what I think so many are arguing against. It doesn’t have the appeal of being worth anywhere near $1,000 for basically it has 3 components and they’re just place here and there with no regards for placement other than to make it easy to apply. Had this been done 20 years ago, it would not have been accepted as quality work and the shop would be considered subpar workmanship. Add today’s use of digital printers and cut-out vinyl…. it has a fighting chance of being taken seriously.

Layout, balance and color are your most important elements in doing a good composition. If there’s no good composition, one must rely on effects or gimmicks to sell said product. That’s why I think most here are only saying $400 to $500. Your design and placement is draining the value here.

Had this truck had more going for it in the design department, it could certainly be worth closer to $1,000. Not until, then.

As for Addie.... see, I didn't even reference you. :ROFLMAO:​

petepaz

what material are you using (unless i missed that part while reading)
i would print the graphics on oracal 3651 with 210 lam and 651 for the white cut letters/numbers and i would be about $500-600 but if you can get $950 have at it

J

john1

Used 3M IJ35C/8509 with cast white cut vinyl

One thing i am missing from what i last posted and asked is, How are you guys figuring how to price jobs like this?

Thanks everyone!

HulkSmash

One thing i am missing from what i last posted and asked is, How are you guys figuring how to price jobs like this?

Thanks everyone!

You're charging your customer One Thousand Dollars for 24 sqft of Calendered Vinyl that you will install on a vehicle for long term use?

oh boy

grafixemporium

Thanks everyone!

Gotta call foul on this one. I can get behind you on charging $1k for the job for design, prints and installation. If your market will handle that price, your customer is willing to pay that price and you are covering expenses and making a profit at that price, then you are doing something right.

However, a high price typically commands high quality. You better be using the best products on the market for that price. That's how we roll anyway. Nothing but high performance cast vinyl for projects like these. That way when they add vehicles to their fleet a year from now, they won't be cussing you out because their other van is cracking and peeling.

For cut lettering on a vehicle, we would use something like Oracal 751C at a minimum. If you suck at installing but want to offer a top quality finished product, go with 3M 180c... it comes in colors and the comply make it a breeze to install dry. For print/cut stuff we would use 180cv3/8519.

Craig Sjoquist

I use ..sq ft... value... amount of work.. what I've charged before...full size van 3 sides alot of the times once they see what is done they will want the hood for a $1,000 a little extra is no problem also care in this job with layout / design and any other concern to make this job would look the best and work even better.

At $600 lets say my care in job goes way down like the hood nope or does a letter go over a opening so what instead of a possible shift, how about the layout not perfect enough oh well it costs to change... This is why I would charge a $1,000 min.

Been there done that got the T-shirt.

HulkSmash

I use ..sq ft... value... amount of work.. what I've charged before...full size van 3 sides alot of the times once they see what is done they will want the hood for a $1,000 a little extra is no problem also care in this job with layout / design and any other concern to make this job would look the best and work even better.

At $600 lets say my care in job goes way down like the hood nope or does a letter go over a opening so what instead of a possible shift, how about the layout not perfect enough oh well it costs to change... This is why I would charge a $1,000 min.

Been there done that got the T-shirt.

Dont you Paint, not print?
Wouldn't one price Painting, and digital printing differently?