• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vector images needed

Spury

hey all,
im in the process of designing a sign for a house boat, and the customer is wanting sum images of champagne, balloons etc. so it would look like a party boat. just wondering if anyone has any good vectored images of these??

thanks for your help

Spury

thanks fred, just wondering what they are worth to buy?? or did you have any that I could download for free??

iSign

free? maybe, what are they for? oh... to sell to some rich houseboat owner? ..well, why didn't you say so :rolleyes:

Spury said:
thanks fred, just wondering what they are worth to buy??

Attachments

• clipcost.jpg
    clipcost.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 223

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Spury said:
thanks fred, just wondering what they are worth to buy?? or did you have any that I could download for free??

Sorry Spury ... nothing for free. These are commercial quality with commercial, royalty-free licensing included. Black and white vinyl-ready are $7.95 each. Full color print-n-cut are $12.95 each.

some people's kids.

here you are getting paid (or you'd better be getting paid) to make a sign for a houseboat and looking for something for free, good grief, i wish i could get free art, materials, heck labor, while i'm dreaming lets throw in not having to pay taxes, or shop overhead as well.

if you are not willing to pay the VERY reasonable price for ready to go artwork google the images that you need for reference or draw your own and scan it in if you dont have a tablet and go through the process of converting a raster image to vector and you will quickly see the value in purchasing stock images that are ready to cut or print if you dont need custom graphics, unless of course you are working for free as well and then well....you dont see the value in much.

sorry, this just rubs me the wrong way, i want something for free for a job i am getting paid to do. :help:

especially when the sale of vector art is one of the sources of income of the moderator of this board that is such a valuable FREE resource.

greeter896

Vector Images

I have to agree with DanStriker!

The idea of asking for free clipart when it will be used for a job you will be getting paid for rubs me the wrong way also.

I don't understand people who have such a hard time bringing themselves to pay for someone's artistic ability which they themselves lack or are too lazy to create.

Now, Fred has provided use with a great Forum where we can share ideas and get great advice from professionals that have been in this business for a long time. How can you put a price on this? Yet to be a member here and share in this wealth of information is free!

Fred has given Spury the original poster of this thread info on what clipart he has available. Fred's prices are very reasonable and yet Spury asked if he had anything he can download for free.

I think Spury should realize to be in business takes an investment!

Cadmn

If you can't create it you gonna have to buy it ! get real did you get your computer free, cutter free? rent, utilities clipart costs & fred is very reasonable & you should be passing the cost to your customer anyway & baloons are easily creatable so if you can't create you might need to find a partner who can & I'm not trying to be mean spury just very truthful

Spury

alrite guys, no need to get all upset over it. all i asked for was a simple favour, and i suppose none of you have ever asked for anything for free???

Well i would just like to say thanks to those people that helped me out with some images, i am very greatfull of it.

iSign

the vast majority of images at our disposal are licensed to us for use under specific terms that don't include the simple favor of "helping out" someone.

There are of course the exceedingly rare minority case of someone's hand drawn art being swapped...

..but the rest of the time it becomes an issue of disrespecting (& robbing) the original artist under the guise of "helping out"

I didn't realize this when I first joined a forum like this, but I hated having my artistic creations ripped off by clients, so I was glad to be educated about that.

There are still many other professionals who have not learned that, so it is fitting that discussions like this include the information that governs the majority of artwork other signshops are likely to possess.

Nobody is "upset" ...just aware that far more folks then youself are reading this, so without any implied assumption that you, or whoever "helped you out" doesn't know the facts, the facts regarding licensed clipart tend to be brought forward whenever the file swapping issue rears it's ugly head.

If someone sent you their personal drawings for free... good for you, now you can sell them... but others looking in are afforded the chance to learn what I was grateful to learn years ago regarding clipart licensing agreements.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Spury said:
alrite guys, no need to get all upset over it. all i asked for was a simple favour, and i suppose none of you have ever asked for anything for free???

Well i would just like to say thanks to those people that helped me out with some images, i am very greatfull of it.
Well Spury, I wasn't upset until now.

I'm upset because you used this forum for a purpose that is very offensive to me and that you still think it's no big deal. You even express gratitude to those who also defecated on artist's rights by joining in with you. I had chalked up your previous post to giving you the benefit of the doubt and said nothing while taking my time to point you towards what might help you. It is now clear to me that you have no business in a business which has dealing in intellectual property at its core.

I won't do that again for you and, if you ever use this forum again to ask for illegally transferred software, I will promptly terminate any further access to this forum for you.

You may haved saved $5 or $10 but the price you have paid is the loss of my friendship.

Ken

You can always try vectorart.com.
You can buy individual clipart images for $2.
Ken

multifarious

Jesus. I think both sides of this are completely out of whack. First, if you can draw, create something, if you can't pay for the work. But the other side of the coin is if I want to give this guy a helping hand with artwork, just because you sell it, don't make it wrong for someone to draw a champagne bottle and give it away. Were not talking about a lot of work here. What a couple balloons and a champagne bottle would take 10 minutes tops for something nice...jesus people, now I remember why I quit working in this field.

iSign

multifarious said:
Jesus. I think both sides of this are completely out of whack.

jesus yourself... you aren't making any sense... BOTH SIDES???

There is only one side & you repeated it yourself...

multifarious said:
...if you can draw, create something,
...if you can't pay for the work.

That's IT! the whole story, made clear long ago... no further commentary required.

multifarious said:
if I want to give this guy a helping hand with artwork, just because you sell it, don't make it wrong for someone to draw...

don't play the fool... nobody goes and draws art to swap with some random gimmegimme post... but on the off chance that someone had his own truely original art to send Spury... that unlikely scenario has not escaped anyone here.

...and just as painfully obvious is the fact that most other sign forums have font & clipart licensing violations flying back & forth in plain view.

multifarious said:
jesus people, now I remember why I quit working in this field.
yeah right...

...a successful independent entrepreneur wouldn't throw in the towel because of internet chatter...

...so, since you're struggling to remember...

...allow me to observe that a lack of success probably played a much more prominent role in your quitting then any on-line discussions. :rolleyes:

Doug :U Rock: I had so much to add until you said it all.

if you created the art YOURSELF, you are free to share it with whomever you wish for any or no price, but myself i prefer to be paid for my work as my artistic ability is what pays the bills.

If you BOUGHT the art it still is not yours to sell, trade, giveaway or swap, read your licensing agreements that is just plain and simply thievery and you are robbing potential profits from the original creator

...but i guess that there is a group of people that see no harm in theft until they themselves are effected and if you are in this industry long enough it will happen to you, and it sucks.

on a positive note. take a stab at trying to draw these simpler art items that you need, even if you dont have a artistic bone in your body you can develop these skills with practice. it is a relatively simple but sometimes time consuming process to take a drawing and convert it to a vector image but at some point in this biz it will be a skill that will benefit you especially if you find yourself in a time crunch and do not have a peice of art that you need and dont have the time to have it vectorized by a employee or outsource service.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
multifarious said:
Jesus. I think both sides of this are completely out of whack. First, if you can draw, create something, if you can't pay for the work. But the other side of the coin is if I want to give this guy a helping hand with artwork, just because you sell it, don't make it wrong for someone to draw a champagne bottle and give it away. Were not talking about a lot of work here. What a couple balloons and a champagne bottle would take 10 minutes tops for something nice...jesus people, now I remember why I quit working in this field.

Site Policy on File Swapping

Asking for Digital Files at Signs 101

This isn't the first time this has come up and site policy is posted and well known. As Doug pointed out, however, you seem to be contradicting yourself.

It doesn't matter how much work is involved. It isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill. This forum cannot and will not be used to facilitate the unauthorized transfer of copyrighted digital material.

It is also highly doubtful that the artwork supplied to Spury was created from scratch. More likely pulled from a copyrighted, licensed archive. In either event, to allow the transaction to go unchallenged is, for a public forum, tantamount to condoning copyright infringement.

multifarious

Doug Allan said:
yeah right...

...a successful independent entrepreneur wouldn't throw in the towel because of internet chatter...

...so, since you're struggling to remember...

...allow me to observe that a lack of success probably played a much more prominent role in your quitting then any on-line discussions. :rolleyes:

Not the chatter, the prevailing attitude problem that you so elequently illustrated. Now back to reality. You are missing my point. Why is it so unlikely that a person could have or did draw a champagne bottle and a couple of balloons for someone else just to help them out. But actually your right. Not many would help anyone out. Which is why I got out of the business. Not because I didn't get help. Because anytime I would help someone out, some jerk off like yourself would start crying about it being unfair because it was costing you sales of your top quality artwork. So you right, I couldn't take it and I quit. Never said I wasn't successful, probably not in terms you would understand. But I made a good living and still do with a very select group of people now. Besides why the attitude? I don't think I singled you out...I don't support piracy, I wouldn't want someone to take your logo and trace it (which is all to easy to do) and redistribute it. So why are you so damned angry all the time with people who take a stand against this uppity attitude....?

multifarious

Fred Weiss said:
Site Policy on File Swapping

Asking for Digital Files at Signs 101

This isn't the first time this has come up and site policy is posted and well known. As Doug pointed out, however, you seem to be contradicting yourself.

It doesn't matter how much work is involved. It isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill. This forum cannot and will not be used to facilitate the unauthorized transfer of copyrighted digital material.

It is also highly doubtful that the artwork supplied to Spury was created from scratch. More likely pulled from a copyrighted, licensed archive. In either event, to allow the transaction to go unchallenged is, for a public forum, tantamount to condoning copyright infringement.

I can understand that. I figure if you can't draw a bottle and some balloons, perhaps there is something else out there for you to consider spending your time doing.

Rat_Fink

There have been MANY times (prob hundreds) I have helped out a fellow sign guy/girl by sending them original artwork. I get paid by my customers - I do not ask to get paid to take 5 minutes out of my schedule to draw a balloon to help out a friend.

don't play the fool... nobody goes and draws art to swap with some random gimmegimme post

If I were to see a request for balloons, I would remember that I drew up some colorful balloons for a day care sign a few years ago. I would not mind forwarding that design to help someone out for free.

I understand that file sharing is a big problem, but sometimes you need to stop judging everyone as a theif.

I would certainly think that it is better to use my time to send this guy a file (of my original artwork) to help him out instead of spending much more time & energy bashing him for asking.

R.F.