• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vehicle wraps... is it better to

do you leave the mirrors and handles on when doing a wrap on a vehicle

• Total voters

slappy

remove the mirrors and door handles or leave them on? Please vote or post a reason for why you do what you do! :thankyou:

xxaxx

I voted for only remove mirrors, but if the vehicle has large, annoying or difficult handles then they get removed too.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'm not voting. The thread title is "is it better to" but the poll choices are "I always"... We do not "always" remove anything.

I think, if reasonably easy to do, it's always better to remove any obstructions. My personal opinion anyways. This will almost always give a cleaner install but at the expense of time and potentially a more painful removal later.

Whether or not we do depends on multiple factors such as if it's a short term promo wrap, customer expectations, type of vehicle, and ease of removal of these obstructions. Doorhandles would be extremley rare since on most vehicles this requires full removal of the door panels. Mirrors are often easy and if so we generally do remove them. Taillights are also often easy to remove and we often do. Headlights / corner / marker / clearance / emergency lights are sometimes easy and get removed as well. Another is squirters on a hood, very often super simple to pull the hose off and pop them out.

petepaz

if the items come off easy and without risk of damage that will end up costing me money, i will remove but generally i work around it

CanuckSigns

Justin Pate has a 5 minute rule, if it takes more than 5 minutes to remove, it's probably quicker to work around it so it gets left on.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Anyone go as far as pull the bumpers on the really curvy ones?

wayne k
guam usa

slappy

well, i'm getting ready to wrap an explorer, just the doors, so it will somewhat be a partial "seamless" wrap. I tried to work around them but got frustrated and took a break. Then my fiance (yes 8 years later still engaged) decided he could do it and next thing i hear from in the other room was the stretching sound of vinyl being yanked from the door. So then he removed the mirror and handles for me. I was just wondering what is more professional when doing this. Last time i did car doors, i only had to take the handles off, this time since it's an suv, the mirrors got plucked also.
I should have worded the poll a little better, but i'm still fairly new to wraps so i didn't know what all to include, plus it was closing time and i was wanting to leave as i was posting.

Also, is the 3m prep solvent -70 necessary? I was watching a wrap video on youtube and it was recommended.

Thanks, thanks :)

ProWraps

avoid prep sol. it causes brain damage and is bad for the enviro...

properly cleaned vehicle with a 70% iso final is just fine.

slappy

Thanks ProWraps,
I'm been using that, just thought i'd ask about the 3M stuff.. i'm already lost anymore then it is so, no need for any more memory problems then whats i gots :omg:
also, any tricks to getting in the hinge where the driver door opens (between the front fender??) i've been using this plastic wedges, but still can get that great behind the hinge

4R Graphics

Prep solvent not needed but some kind of degreaser is so alcohol 3m brand prep etc..

As for removing mirrors and handles almost never unless they really get in the way.

If the handles will be wrapped but there something that is just weird and large then we will print a small panel for the handle when you apply the main wrap just cut a slit in the vinyl where the handle is so the material will lay flat then come back with the small panel and wrap the handle. Same thing with mirrors usually you can cut the vinyl to allow it to poke through so the vinyl lays flat.

It just takes a lot of practice eventually you can look at a car and say ok panel here slit there and you really dont have to remove anything (most of the time)

Good luck

ProWraps

also, any tricks to getting in the hinge where the driver door opens (between the front fender??) i've been using this plastic wedges, but still can get that great behind the hinge

not sure on this one. typically the wrap is trimmed to the edge of both panels on that gap. pdaa and 3m recommended technique.