• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VENT - Things that annoy you in the print industry.

bigben

One thing that pisses me off when working with designers is the tone they
take when I tell them that they need to convert their art to work with a PC and/or in Coreldraw.
No offence to anyone here, I know we all use different programs and some use Mac, some PC...
It's just these no-nothing college grads, that think unless you're using a Mac and a Adobe program, you
can't possibly know anything about graphic designs.

AMEN! :frustrated:

ams

One thing that pisses me off when working with designers is the tone they
take when I tell them that they need to convert their art to work with a PC and/or in Coreldraw.
No offence to anyone here, I know we all use different programs and some use Mac, some PC...
It's just these no-nothing college grads, that think unless you're using a Mac and a Adobe program, you
can't possibly know anything about graphic designs.

Amen to that

Bly

Slow paying customers.
After you bend over backwards to deliver their jobs at short notice.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
When someone sends you a .png file and photoshop doesn't accept it. Then you just change the format to .jpg and it works.
What are people thinking when changing format names! :banghead:

OADesign

Where do I start

Word docs, excel spread sheets, logo images plucked off websites and MS publisher files submitted as art work.

My sales guy committing to rush projects... with no consideration for the other X rush project he committed to.

When customers demand same day production, then don't pick up the order for days/weeks.

Having to contact customers for information that should have been obtained at the site survey/initial quote.

When I have to explain to my production guy the parameters of a a repeat order... the 1100th time.

This phrase in response to quote for vinyl installations, "That's too expensive. I mean, its just like a... sticker. Right?"

When a person uses 1601 words where 2 will do. "What color returns?" I get the Latin origin of the word for whatever color and how the the customer's brother's son's little league baseball uniform had pin stripes of the same color.

This question: "How mush is a sign?"

When someones reads to out me out loud... an email that I was CC'd on. Or better yet this one, "I'm sending you an email..." then proceeds to read me the email. All whilst sitting 10 feet from me.

When you send an email with multiple questions. Outlined in a way that makes it clear that you require more than one bit of data. And you only get a response to one question. It would make sense it they answered the first question. Sure. You didn't read the entire email. But I get answers to the third or even the last question.

When you ask a simple question. "Sure, no problem. How many? What size?" and they respond, "Yes".

When you reach out to a vendor to out source a project. And they are adamant that the process doesn't exist /it can't be done. When the real answer is, "I don't know how to do it..."

OK. I'm done. For now.

rossmosh

People that design stuff to be 48". It's clear that they've never stepped foot into a production shop or even thought about production. Obviously there are certain processes where this isn't an issue, but if you're mounting your project on a sheet good, you should really know better.

Snydo

I REALLY wish they'd just make laminate rolls 53.5". Give us a little room for skewing please. No one is printing edge to edge on vinyl.
Half the laminate I get from Oracal is 54.125" or more.

Same here, Oracal please fire whoever is cutting your 54" rolls of 210, the gloss is almost always over 54", it adds 15-20 minutes lamming a full roll when I have to trim the overhang off. If I don't trim it, I have listen to a very annoying squeaking sound while the roll plots and sometimes causes plots to be off.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
When someone compares my proof to their non profiled, maximum brightness and huge contrast monitor. :banghead:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Customers that have gone through either a phone book, website, or browser searching for my services, then call the phone number next to my business name of said services, and when I answer the phone they ask..."Do ya'll do wraps?"
That's 2nd to "How much are your signs?"

T_K

When someone compares my proof to their non profiled, maximum brightness and huge contrast monitor. :banghead:

iphones are also horrible. I had one customer in particular I wanted to take his iphone and make it a permanent part of his anatomy! We'd send him a digital proof, and he'd complain about the colors. So we'd resave/resend it. Same problem, and he's thinking out loud that we're idiots. Finally, we print off same image, and he comes by to look at it. "Hey, you guys fixed the colors." He then wants to see it on the screen, which displays the colors correctly. And we did this process for EVERY SINGLE ORDER! If he'd just stop looking at his stupid phone, we'd be able to move much faster.

neato

Yes, phones are annoying.

"The file won't open for me"

Every time it's an iphone trying to view a PDF.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
People that design stuff to be 48". It's clear that they've never stepped foot into a production shop or even thought about production. Obviously there are certain processes where this isn't an issue, but if you're mounting your project on a sheet good, you should really know better.

Not sure I get this one. What's wrong with 48"? nearly all our stock is 4' x 8'. I understand that mounting a print to stock at 48" may be a little tight but not usually a problem. Unless of course the design includes stupid prepress marks whereby making it larger than 48". Just requires extra steps in cropping it before print which in itself can present a whole new set of problems.

phone etiquette

Ring, Ring (me) Hello, company name, may I help you (them) are my signs ready
No hello, no name, no company they are from. :covereyes: I am suppose to guess who they are?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Ring, Ring (me) Hello, company name, may I help you (them) are my signs ready
No hello, no name, no company they are from. :covereyes: I am suppose to guess who they are?

When people call me (mobile) for the same reason when they can call the office and get the same answer.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Our sales staff (party of 1) who is very well versed in the various substrates available, as well as, pricing is the first person customers come in contact with when entering the door. "I'd like to talk to a person about getting a sign made"....hmmm
or "I'd like to talk to a designer about this file I have on my thumbdrive." So I pull it up they say "how much..." Our salesperson can help you with that."
We've actually had customers walk in and want to speak to a male.