• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VENT - Things that annoy you in the print industry.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Our sales staff (party of 1) who is very well versed in the various substrates available, as well as, pricing is the first person customers come in contact with when entering the door. "I'd like to talk to a person about getting a sign made"....hmmm
or "I'd like to talk to a designer about this file I have on my thumbdrive." So I pull it up they say "how much..." Our salesperson can help you with that."
We've actually had customers walk in and want to speak to a male.

I hate when people call a memory stick/thumb drive a "USB" Do you even know what a USB is??? Yes show me your universal serial bus.

Starter

Wow!!! 18 years in the sign business and after reading all these posts.....I agree with all of them and thanks everyone, I am now quitting the sign business and going to flip burgers :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow!!! 18 years in the sign business and after reading all these posts.....I agree with all of them and thanks everyone, I am now quitting the sign business and going to flip burgers :)

It's easier to be a watchguard at a tanning salon.

rossmosh

Not sure I get this one. What's wrong with 48"? nearly all our stock is 4' x 8'. I understand that mounting a print to stock at 48" may be a little tight but not usually a problem. Unless of course the design includes stupid prepress marks whereby making it larger than 48". Just requires extra steps in cropping it before print which in itself can present a whole new set of problems.

Let's pretend you need to make 10 ACM panels. 48" x 32" with holes in each corner for stand offs. The math says you can get 3 panels per sheet and the order will take 10 sheets. Reality is way different. First you have to hope and pray you get 10 sheets with good edges. Second you have to hope and pray the sheets are square. Then you have to hope the sheet gave you an extra .5-1" so you can cut the panels to actually 32". This is all assuming you're doing this by hand on a panel saw and hand drilling the holes. Now try and do the same job on a CNC router. Guess what, you can't. You need to buy a 5x10 sheet to even consider getting decent yield.

Simply making the panel 46"x30" would result in improved results, better yield, and ultimately better pricing.

On cheap temporary signs where it really doesn't matter if the edge is perfect or the sizing is perfect, it's less of an issue. If you want to mass produce or are going for quality, it's typically wise to not design panels to be 48"

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Let's pretend you need to make 10 ACM panels. 48" x 32" with holes in each corner for stand offs. The math says you can get 3 panels per sheet and the order will take 10 sheets.

Redo your math. I would need only 4 sheets to make 10 of these. And yes, I would let the customer know they will probably be 31.5" x 48"

Andy D

Let's pretend you need to make 10 ACM panels. 48" x 32" with holes in each corner for stand offs. The math says you can get 3 panels per sheet and the order will take 10 sheets. Reality is way different. First you have to hope and pray you get 10 sheets with good edges. Second you have to hope and pray the sheets are square. Then you have to hope the sheet gave you an extra .5-1" so you can cut the panels to actually 32". This is all assuming you're doing this by hand on a panel saw and hand drilling the holes. Now try and do the same job on a CNC router. Guess what, you can't. You need to buy a 5x10 sheet to even consider getting decent yield.

Simply making the panel 46"x30" would result in improved results, better yield, and ultimately better pricing.

On cheap temporary signs where it really doesn't matter if the edge is perfect or the sizing is perfect, it's less of an issue. If you want to mass produce or are going for quality, it's typically wise to not design panels to be 48"

ACM panels isn't a term we use here, I'm assuming you mean composite aluminum similar to Max Metal or Sign-A-Bond, right?
When I order ours, they come on a pallet, and if the edges are fouled up, I reject the shipment.
Also, we cut ours to size using a shear, but if the shear isn't a option, I use a straight edge and a utility knife... score it a few times
and snap the cut on a table edge @ cut the back piece of aluminum by running the utility knife up the snapped edge.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I REALLY wish they'd just make laminate rolls 53.5". Give us a little room for skewing please. No one is printing edge to edge on vinyl.
Half the laminate I get from Oracal is 54.125" or more.
Buy a slitter; it makes life much easier. Now you also have free rolls of edge-seal tape. Took forever to convince them to get one here, then they said "why did we wait so long to buy one?"

Snydo

Buy a slitter; it makes life much easier. Now you also have free rolls of edge-seal tape. Took forever to convince them to get one here, then they said "why did we wait so long to buy one?"

Have one you would recommend? It would make my life much easier if I could cut my own mask as well. I've always been under the impression that they were pretty pricey.

Brandon708

The phone call.

Them: How much is a sign.....pause... (I was waiting for them to finish their question)

Sign guy: what kind of sign? What will it be used for?

Them: You know, A letter sign...

Turned out this guy was looking for a letter sign that didn't light up. He says another shop is supposed to be working on it and is having trouble getting I contact with them. He also mentioned that they have been taking very long with their sign and they want to open next week and need the sign. So at this point I'm thinking. Okay maybe the shop got busy and forgot about this guy or just blew him off for whatever reason. I ask him to send me the file for his sign. He sends me a cropped version of another sign shops proposal. Of course it's a LED channel letters on a raceway (that does light up). I respond back to him this will take about 6 weeks to manufacture and install. So I ask him if the other sign company applied for a permit. He says yes. I look closer at the cropped proposal and see a fax number. I Google it and call this company to see if they are making this guy's sign. Also to give them the heads up that this guy is shopping around after he placed an order with them. Long story short I talked to the guy who was making his sign and he tells me his customer is calling him on the other line.

I guess he finally got in touch with him.

That's how that ended....

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Yeah I can't justify that expense just to shave off 1/4"-1/2" off of our laminate rolls.
Although I could see some other uses if it can slit a whole 50m banner roll....I would love to be able to cut down a 54" roll to 2-27" rolls for 2' banners.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yeah I can't justify that expense just to shave off 1/4"-1/2" off of our laminate rolls.
Although I could see some other uses if it can slit a whole 50m banner roll....I would love to be able to cut down a 54" roll to 2-27" rolls for 2' banners.
We run three 63" printers here and also two 15" edge printers, so we usually are primarily buying a lot of 54/48" material for the wide format, so we just slit the rolls of lam down for the small printers, you can also slit rolls of banner, mask, etc. We also do a decent amount of striping for firetrucks/hydrants/etc and it is much cheaper to slit the rolls into reflective striping. We run a LOT of material through here also on the wide format and saving 15 minutes per laminated roll by pre-trimming it really adds up quick. Even at only 4 rolls per day that is 1 hour per day; 20+ hours per month equates to around $500+/month, and that would be a REAL slow month.

shoresigns

iphones are also horrible. I had one customer in particular I wanted to take his iphone and make it a permanent part of his anatomy! We'd send him a digital proof, and he'd complain about the colors. So we'd resave/resend it. Same problem, and he's thinking out loud that we're idiots. Finally, we print off same image, and he comes by to look at it. "Hey, you guys fixed the colors." He then wants to see it on the screen, which displays the colors correctly. And we did this process for EVERY SINGLE ORDER! If he'd just stop looking at his stupid phone, we'd be able to move much faster.

Apple needs to get their **** together. I get clients telling me that all the spot colours are black when they view a PDF proof on their iPad. What's the point of PDF if some idiots at Apple break it so it's no longer a universal format?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
What's worse when people call you to sell you cheap ink?
When they come to the office and try to sell you their cheap ink alternative.

I'll tell you where you can shove that ink...

fresh

there are a lot of things that annoy me, but the only one that I cannot get over is the question "where is the guy that works here, you know, the owner?" Me, I'm the owner, or are you talking about my husband, my partner? the one who has absolutely nothing to do with sales, really won't help you with materials or ideas, and can't give you a price? You want to waste his time and mine, since you'll be standing in my area, talking about a sign that I need to price?

That's a great way for you to pay more for your sign, since its going to take twice as much effort than if you just talked to me in the first place.

GVP

The one that really irritates me...

Customer is very specific about what they are looking for and what they definitely don't want - you go through the hoops pricing up their requirements and give them the estimate - then you go by and see they've had it done exactly as they said they didn't want it. Oh, and of course when talking to them it's 'cos, you know, it was cheaper...