• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VENT - Things that annoy you in the print industry.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
:Big Laugh I wish they were as amusing as any of those things. It's just a metal cup. I really don't get it. "It'll keep ice like, FOREVER!!!" ....cool, I guess?

Random googling yielded this. Not my work, but pretty much the same kinda lame stuff
attachment.php

I can already see where I could improve on that. Have a plastic outer shell...so when you're holding it, the heat from your hands doesn't conduct right to the metal. Derp.

bannertime

:Big Laugh I wish they were as amusing as any of those things. It's just a metal cup. I really don't get it. "It'll keep ice like, FOREVER!!!" ....cool, I guess?

Just had a similar job. First and last for me. Did 100 cups. They wanted full wraps on them, which is 4 separate contour cut panels, installed for less than $400. Built the template and did two 3in squares on either side. Next time I'm sending them to a screen printer.

If I was making that kind of money, the amount of bitching I'd do would likely hover around zero.

You mean you wouldn't b$#@# making signs if you were making $175/ hr. I don't think anyone would. I think something is wrong in Ginos math. $7000 a week is $175/hr if your working 40 hours. So is the .40cents like a slap in the face. We can pay you $172 an hour but on our raises we can't afford the extra .60cents to make it $4?

T_K

Just had a similar job. First and last for me. Did 100 cups. They wanted full wraps on them, which is 4 separate contour cut panels, installed for less than $400. Built the template and did two 3in squares on either side. Next time I'm sending them to a screen printer.

My boss asked me what I thought about doing something like this in vinyl. He showed a website with tons of screen printed yeti cups with super fine detail. And then wants to do that with vinyl...:banghead:
It took a good bit of explanation to get him to realize we can't cut those fine details with our equipment. To be fair, he's not well versed in the printing industry, but sometimes it takes too much work to convince him of bad ideas.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You mean you wouldn't b$#@# making signs if you were making $175/ hr. I don't think anyone would. I think something is wrong in Ginos math. $7000 a week is $175/hr if your working 40 hours. So is the .40cents like a slap in the face. We can pay you $172 an hour but on our raises we can't afford the extra .60cents to make it $4?

Ya know..... I fixed that within 20 minutes..... Over $7,000 a year. Now can you read it correctly ?? It's only like noon time out your way...... did you have a 3 martooni lunch ??

altereddezignz

1.Come into shop with a USB and say they need the picture names 1 to be put on a banner that is 48"x96" They want Happy birthday on it. Plug in USB and let virus software scan real quick then open it. Open the file and look at properties and it is a 200x200 Pixel file at 72dpi. Tell the customer there is no way to make it this large. Of course they tell you its a good image they downloaded it off Facebook but their sisters mothers cousins aunt took the picture and she is a professional...

2. Ill do my own design work bc it is cheaper. They then show up with a cluster. You tell them it will not work that way they ask you to fix it but dont want to pay to have it fixed??????

3.Needing information changed on a file that has been merged into one layer from a customer. Tell them you need the origional and they tell you that is the origional. Photoshop said it would make the file larger if they saved with layers so they saved as a copy without layers.....

4.calls at 8 am. Hey can you have me 500 flyers today befroe 5. Yes sure i can. Calls at 9. Hey are those done yet by chance. I just wanted to check and see in case.

5.The phrase ........... Can you not just print it cheap.........:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

These are what i can think of off top of my head.

AnthonyRalano

Had a customer wanting a few hundred decals. Told her it was $244. She said great price. I will take 10,000. I went to take payment and realized she thought I meant $2.44.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
People complaining about maintenance on a latex printer.

I own UV flat beds. They require daily maintenance I.e nozzle cleaning, nozzle swabbing and cleaning under the carriage.
And then i know my colour will always be consistent and no banding.

printhog

the loyal customer/friend:
....has 9 trucks fully wrapped
....$3700 each
....over the course of 15 years in business
....gotten lots of freebies
....complains he hates cheap customers
... drunkenly blurts out at the chamber mixer that he can "get wraps done for $900 down the hill" with 3M warranty.
... And later brings his truck wrapped in 1999 and wants it rewrapped under warranty.
... forgets it was the one truck he had done by someone else. Still wants 3M warranty.
... forgets it was done in Avery film. Still wants 3M warranty.

yeah.. that guy.

equippaint

My biggest complaint is all the whiners in this industry. My god, have you never held another job or had to really work in your entire life? Complain about rush jobs, too much work, too little work, working more than 40 hrs a week, machine problems, people that negotiate prices, early calls, late calls, having to spend 20 mins fixing files, people with lower prices, newbies yada yada. Jesus christ already. I wish this is all I had to worry and complain about lol.

visual800

1-bidding for contractors-we have ceased doing bids for any of these in 2017, not worth the time
2-marketing people straight out of college-they are clueless, arrogant and very stubborn
3-Microsoft design files-word and powerpoint. If you cant send me a pdf or jpeg go somehwere else
4-customers that want cheap stuff-they get sent away to quicky sign shop
5-government bids for vendors-waste of time
6-the cloud and any software on it-ill keep my discs please

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
1-bidding for contractors-we have ceased doing bids for any of these in 2017, not worth the time
2-marketing people straight out of college-they are clueless, arrogant and very stubborn
3-Microsoft design files-word and powerpoint. If you cant send me a pdf or jpeg go somehwere else
4-customers that want cheap stuff-they get sent away to quicky sign shop
5-government bids for vendors-waste of time
6-the cloud and any software on it-ill keep my discs please
I hate cloud software.
Internet goes out.. can't use it
Internet is slow.. can't use it
Cloud is only good for file sharing.

mjkjr

When customers demand same day production, then don't pick up the order for days/weeks.

This phrase in response to quote for vinyl installations, "That's too expensive. I mean, its just like a... sticker. Right?"

This question: "How mush is a sign?"

When you send an email with multiple questions. Outlined in a way that makes it clear that you require more than one bit of data. And you only get a response to one question. It would make sense it they answered the first question. Sure. You didn't read the entire email. But I get answers to the third or even the last question.

Agree 100% with these specific ones, expecially the first one, I have a 2 day turn around order still waiting for pickup a month later. Thanks real estate ladies, your couple of riders were sooo important.

mjkjr

We've actually had customers walk in and want to speak to a male.

I have a story like that:

I had one *sshole come into my shop, and my screen printer came down the stairs to greet him and find out what he needs (printed shirts), and he says to her, rudely, "is there someone else here who can help me?"

She let me know someone needed help, and he was a pr*ck to me too, basically saying he's had nothing but problems with all the other shops he's dealt with and putting down our industry as a whole, all while calling the manager of the previous shop he used a "dike" and other similar homophobic slurs.

Also kept blaming the quality of the ratty 3+ year old, *used* shirt (the shirt, not the print on the shirt) on the previous shop, as if they knitted it themselves, and he clearly expected way too much out of cheap t-shirts they do construction work in for crying out!

I killed him with kindness and gave him a quote and helped him find a different brand of shirt he might like better and everything, but also made it CRYSTAL clear that I would not spend a minute on creating new artwork until I got half the invoice payment down.

The whole time while I was speaking with this guy he was near fuming, as if I personally had already wronged him in some way, and he was pissed about it. Such a miserable guy, I can't believe he hasn't had a stroke yet.

Glad to say he never returned.

My sister, who happens to be my screen printer, told me later how he had initially been so rude to her when he first came in, and I've never been so disgusted with another human in my life as this guy.

Ugh.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
"chloroplast"
"diabond"

"so you have a layout 'ready-to-go'?. what application did you do your layout in?"
"ummmm... Microsoft!"
"Okay... Microsoft what? "
"aaaaaahh.... Windows!"