• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VersaWorks 6 Thinks EPS Files are Corrupt

Falcon187

We have 5 computers (windows 7 Ultimate) all connected to a XR-640. They all have VersaWorks 6 installed with no internet access. We mainly use .eps files and have been for the past 6 months with no issues. Last week, 2 of the computers VersaWorks have decided that all of the .eps files are corrupt. They are perfectly fine since the other 3 computers can still use them without any corruption warnings. Tiff files can still be added fine. I have scoured the internet and have tried multiple possible fixes with no luck so far. I have....

1. Started them in Administrator mode with all users full access.
2. Cleared Jobs
3. Initialization
4. Reinstalled latest version of VersaWorks
5. Cleared %temp% folder
6. Attempted adding Files manually without drag and dropping them
7. Moved Files
8. Renamed Files Something Else
9. No antivirus software is installed
10. Restarted Computer
11. Updated Printer Firmware
12. Checked cable connections

I'm at my wits end with this. Has someone encountered these issues and have a possible solution that hasn't been covered already?

MrDav3C

Unfortunately we haven't came across this issue before, weird how it's happened on two PCs rather than just one / all of them.

What software are you creating the .eps files in?

Could this have been caused by a windows update? might be worth trying a system restore / rolling back the latest windows updates to see if that helps, although if this was the cause I would expect lots of people with a similar issue.

Are there any differences between the PCs that are working fine and the ones that aren't?

When you uninstalled versaworks did you clean the windows registry? Could be something left behind there that is causing the issue to keep occuring after the new install.

Id leave the printer and cables alone for now, this definitely seems more of a software issue than a printer / hardware one.

Falcon187

Thanks for the quick reply! All of the computers are running different versions of Windows 7. The 2 computers effected are both running Windows 7 Ultimate. Not sure if that matters

EPS files are created in Corel x7. Not sure if the files are the culprit since the same files work on the other PC's just fine.

The Windows update never happened since they are not connected to the internet. I believe some PC's had manual driver updates about a week before. Could that be an issue?

Unfortunately, Window restore is not an option :(

I did not clean up the Windows Registry between reinstalls. How would I go about doing that?

weyandsign

Does it still not work when you create an EPS on one of the good PCs and transfer it to the bad PC? Are the bad PCs the same hardware? What are they exactly? Do you know how to check if the hard drive is failing? Can you open the PC and see if it looks ok visually?

Falcon187

Does it still not work when you create an EPS on one of the good PCs and transfer it to the bad PC? Are the bad PCs the same hardware? What are they exactly? Do you know how to check if the hard drive is failing? Can you open the PC and see if it looks ok visually?
EPS work perfectly fine on other PC's. Even new ones created on the good and bad PC's.

The PC's have mostly the same hardware. Processors are different. Processors are AMD A4-5300 and AMD A10-6700. They also have different RAMs. Inside the PC's look fine and the hard drives are not failing.

MrDav3C

Does Corel draw x7 use ghost script? (Can't remember which versions did) might be worth checking if this is installed on both good & bad PCs

I think CC cleaner is a free piece of software that will clean your registry but can't remember for certain (obviously you would need to uninstall Versaworks first)

MrDav3C

Maybe try importing the file to Versaworks from a memory stick instead of the HDD to rule out issues with the HDD?

Edit: Thinking about it, this probably won't make a difference as Versaworks is then going to write files to the HDD to attempt to load the job into the print queue

Last edited:

Falcon187

What about .eps files created on a good PC and then opened in versaworks on a bad pc?
That is my current issue. No matter where the EPS is created, VersaWorks on the bad pc always thinks its a corrupt file. It is obviously not since it can be loaded on all the good PC's

weyandsign

Did you do any VW updates? What version of VW is it? Could it be some windows permissions error? Can you try creating a new user account on the bad PC and see if it still happens? Check running processes and see if there's anything strange. Might have to reinstall Windows if all else fails.

Falcon187

Did you do any VW updates? What version of VW is it? Could it be some windows permissions error? Can you try creating a new user account on the bad PC and see if it still happens? Check running processes and see if there's anything strange. Might have to reinstall Windows if all else fails.
It is the latest version off their website. Tiff files are able to be uploaded sometimes so I don't believe it's a permission issue. The current user accounts have admin rights. I checked the processes and didn't see anything out of place. I am trying to avoid reinstalling windows as its a long process with no internet access.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
One should be aware that the EPS file format is widely deprecated.

From Wikipedia found at this link...
"Vulnerability
Due to the ability to use embedded scripts, Microsoft removed support for EPS files in Microsoft Office programs in May 2018.[2][3][4]"

It's not only Office apps either, many others as well.

EPS files never carried an embedded ICC color profile. Save legacy EPS files as PDF and assign the proper ICC profile.
Good luck.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
EPS doesn't support any fills or strokes that have any transparency effects. That's a big stumbling block for certain kinds of vector artwork. PDF is typically required for any vectors with transparency and/or advanced gradient fills.

Dale D

Since updating Versaworks....I've had Flexi send (using their button on top) and Versaworks says it's corrupt, then take the same file and drag it to Versaworks and it's good. I run Windows 10.

cornholio

Did you try starting Versaworks "open as administrator"?
Does it happen only when you add it to the queue by " drag and drop", or also using file/add to queue?
When you want to do a clean reinstallation of Versaworks, you need to use the uninstall function from windows.
Then you need to delete the following directory //ProgramData/Roland DG Corporation with all its sub directories.(you probably need to change directory properties to show hidden directories, in order to see the ProgramData directory)
I also delete the //program files/Versaworks directory, if the uninstaller didn't do it.
Then do reboot and start the installer "open as administrator".

Falcon187

Did you try starting Versaworks "open as administrator"?
Does it happen only when you add it to the queue by " drag and drop", or also using file/add to queue?
When you want to do a clean reinstallation of Versaworks, you need to use the uninstall function from windows.
Then you need to delete the following directory //ProgramData/Roland DG Corporation with all its sub directories.(you probably need to change directory properties to show hidden directories, in order to see the ProgramData directory)
I also delete the //program files/Versaworks directory, if the uninstaller didn't do it.
Then do reboot and start the installer "open as administrator".
Yes... I list all the things I tried in the very first post. I'll try a full reinstall tomorrow