• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Express III 72" eco solvent

chris190

yes. you will be the columbus of asian market printers. don't be discouraged if there are issues and no support. these machines are all functionally the same. i'm sure the basic clogs and air leaks will be there just like any other printer. and don't be embarrassed if it doesn't work like a jv33. hell if we could all afford a jv33, we'd have one. so, what size are you getting?

Thanks for the encouraging :) I'm getting a 1.6m (63") ...

whats a good bulk ink for the dx5 heads? I was looking into triangle JVV or BVJ series and my local supplier has it for about $155.00 / litter is that a good price you think?

what about Triangle JVS ink and the DX5 print head ? I found a one time deal of 4 litters (1 of each color) for around $220 which is really good but I read the JVS ink is for the jv3 series....not sure if it will work ok with the dx5 head...will look more into it

Regards,

Chris

booshworks

Definitely keep us updated on the status of this import -- I'm in Chicago as well, and I have a tendency to meet up with a few of my competitors for shop talk and to swap success and horror stories. I sub out plenty of work to my competition when we get too busy in-house, and if your machine can handle the bigger stuff, I'd be happy to send some jobs your way to keep the heads from going dead.

artbot

i'm paying $115 per liter for jvs. anything over $135 is just out of the park. i'm not the guy to answer any ink questions. i'd figure whatever can be run in a jv33 would be okay. but don't quote me on that. i'd ask wit-color.

artbot

chinasigns now has an agent service for inspecting printer shipments in china. it does not have to be a chinasigns product.

quoted from a flaar report:

If you wish assistance in making sure your container load from a
Chinese printer contains what you ordered?
ChinaSigns (sign-in-china.com) has a new program to assist distributors and large printshops around
the world to keep track of what is really being packed inside the container that is being shipped to
you from China. You do not have to order the product from or through ChinaSigns: you can order any
product in China independently, but have ChinaSigns inspect the product as it is being shipped.
This is a new service and I am just learning about it. For further information contact “Rissa” overseas06@
chinasigns.cn. I have been to the headquarters of ChinaSigns company twice so I have seen their size,
their capabilities, and have learned of this frankly remarkably innovative service during my last visit.

http://www.wide-format-printers.org...position_Epson-DX5_DX6_printhead-printers.pdf

chris190

Definitely keep us updated on the status of this import -- I'm in Chicago as well, and I have a tendency to meet up with a few of my competitors for shop talk and to swap success and horror stories. I sub out plenty of work to my competition when we get too busy in-house, and if your machine can handle the bigger stuff, I'd be happy to send some jobs your way to keep the heads from going dead.

Sounds good to me and I would deff meet up... Thanks in advance for your offer and yea I will let you know as soon as I get :)

Regards,

Chris

Circleville Signs

That is sick. Is it possible that we've all been brainwashed by suppliers that anything not made by Mimaki/Mutoh/Roland is crap, when in reality there are lots of solid printers on the market?

Damn - for $6-8k I can pick up a 72" printer with that kind of print quality? Yeah - i might have to jump on that!

FatCat

That is sick. Is it possible that we've all been brainwashed by suppliers that anything not made by Mimaki/Mutoh/Roland is crap, when in reality there are lots of solid printers on the market?

Damn - for $6-8k I can pick up a 72" printer with that kind of print quality? Yeah - i might have to jump on that!

Says the guy who is still afraid of bulk ink....:rolleyes:

*kidding* :Big Laugh

artbot

top "piece of crap printers" seem to be astarjet, micolor, and wit-color.

thought experiment

china (all of asia as well), india, and russia are covered in graphics. we think we like signs here in the USA. nope. no one plasters every square foot of space like the asian culture.

but, most of them are not using mimaki, roland, and mutoh.

so, here are tens of thousands of sign shops all with printers with fried boards, clogs, air leaks, total chaos. nothing's getting printed. just broken worthless piece of crap printers parked in the back room, long since written off as a bad purchase.

on the contrary,

tens and tens and tens of thousands of these machines are cranking out millions of square feet of media each year.

it's a frame, with a gantry, some tubes, a board, heaters, some firmware, a capping station, and print head, and some servos/steppers. it's not rocket science. printers could be one of the simplest industrial pieces of equipment out there. it's just a meme that only three major companies, all sharing basically the same design concept can actually comprehend such impossibly technical engineering feats. why else would desktop printers be almost free just to sell ink? because factories can bang them out like toasters. a big toaster isn't that much more complex than a small toaster.

J Hill Designs

goddammit, now i want some toast

top "piece of crap printers" seem to be astarjet, micolor, and wit-color.

thought experiment

china (all of asia as well), india, and russia are covered in graphics. we think we like signs here in the USA. nope. no one plasters every square foot of space like the asian culture.

but, most of them are not using mimaki, roland, and mutoh.

so, here are tens of thousands of sign shops all with printers with fried boards, clogs, air leaks, total chaos. nothing's getting printed. just broken worthless piece of crap printers parked in the back room, long since written off as a bad purchase.

on the contrary,

tens and tens and tens of thousands of these machines are cranking out millions of square feet of media each year.

it's a frame, with a gantry, some tubes, a board, heaters, some firmware, a capping station, and print head, and some servos/steppers. it's not rocket science. printers could be one of the simplest industrial pieces of equipment out there. it's just a meme that only three major companies, all sharing basically the same design concept can actually comprehend such impossibly technical engineering feats. why else would desktop printers be almost free just to sell ink? because factories can bang them out like toasters. a big toaster isn't that much more complex than a small toaster.

rjssigns

Hey Artbot,

Thanks for another good vid even though I don't habla. Looking forward to chris190 getting his. Once he gets it running I will see if I can go visit. I can hit Chicago in just over 3 hours from my place.

artbot

i correspond with a guy in africa that has a jv3 250sp that is giving him fits. fascinating to hear how difficult it is to run a business when you can't count on electricity.

he's getting the 3.6 (he does billboards) and loading the same crate with as much media as it will hold.

noticed a few things. the rail looked like a slide rail (like a monster thk) on it's side, very big rail, all the electronics on the side like a mutoh, subtank layout, gantry looked very meticulously machined, led lighting installed in the hull, electric motor based capping station, huge heating surfaces... this printer looked pretty sharp. also, i saw some spare parts on the internet for wit-color. they aren't inexpensive. like $500 for a slider board. also the servos sound "odd" on the x-drive. reminds me of robot sound effects.

rjssigns

Guess it's just a waiting game now. I wouldn't expect it to arrive any sooner than 6 weeks since I am sure it is arriving by ship.

artbot

i've seen quite a few "install" videos. i believe it's very common to not install the head. maybe because it's so delicate that it's best off in a box alone rather than exposed to shock, and such. but looking that the dx5 install, i was pretty jealous at how easy it was. a four head dx4 install video would be three hours long.

also, the chinese printers are beating the japanese to the reality that we don't want lm lc, and no we don't need two carts to feed one head/channel. i have my each of my dx4's fed by one cart from a "y" splitter and have never had an ink supply issue.

rjssigns

One thing I absolutely L-O-V-E is the LED light bar tucked in above the rail. I had to laugh because I am going to do that mod to my Roland. So dang dark under there you can't get a good read on the print right away.

I also love the control panel and how easy it is to set temp on post heat and vacuum with a simple dial. And be able to instantly turn heaters on or off with a switch. Why in all that is holy do we have to dig through menus and make dozens of clicks to control stuff on our Rolands, Mimakis, etc...?

Reminds me of the story where NASA need a "writing instrument" that could operate in a vacuum, sub-zero cold, underwater, upside down and in zero gravity. Spent millions to produce the the thing and it worked.
Russians had the same need so they took a pencil. Hah!

Proves my point of too much thinking is a bad thing.

Last edited:

artbot

i did the LEDs before i ever even booted my printer. i think it was about a $45 upgrade from lowes (under the counter lighting). there is no way i can use the printer with the lights off. it's an essential thing, not an upgrade. plus i have a par 50 hallogen in the ceiling right above the head carriage, on one of those snake extension things. with a pull switch. so when i boot its big ceiling lights, LEDs, and pull the "carriage light switch".

ever wonder how your mimaki's retail climbs to so many thousands? needing the firmware to talk to a relay to control a solid state thermometer. or we can use a dial thermostat and digital thermometer. hell, i can arrange that set up with a trip to sears.

there are a whole lot of videos of the ultra 9000. maybe 20+? the other chinese pritner look a little tinny and the bends and rivets are a little iffy. but this thing looks like military issue. still the juries out on the take up and the firmware etc. but that video of clean dual head one pass printing was pretty impressive.