Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vinyl for cinder block wall- 6 month-1 year warranty?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by petepaz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i am quoting a job for some large cut vinyl letters that will be installed on a cinder block wall, indoors. the materials i looked at said 7+ year outdoor life so i figure no worries since it's inside but...BUT... some of the fine print says it is only warranteed for 6 months and on some up to a year on masonry products so now i don't know what to do?
    any suggestions?
    i guess i will have to get some samples and run some tests or try and find another way to do this job.

Tags:
  2. ddubia

ddubia Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    We just ordered some ARLON DPF 8000 for an interior cement block was that is painted with latex. We also plan to use on an exterior cement block wall painted with latex. Same as you mentioned, 7 year outdoor for plain vinyl with no ink on it. (Actual mileage will vary depending on your ink and printing method.)

Got a 5 yard sample roll last week to make a color proof for approval and got approval on it.

Dang stuff is sTIckEy!!

3. Graphic Destruction

Graphic Destruction Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Ruffs Dale, PA
    Mactac makes a wall wrap that takes the paint off when removing it from the block. Lifetime outside is short, but inside, temp controlled, I've seen it last years. Of course, overall roughness of the wall determines lifespan, even indoors. 3M also has good stuff. haven't tried Oracal yet, but everything else they make is good stuff.

4. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    thanks for the input.
    i just found it funny that for the applications it is recommended for you don't get the full warranty?
    made specifically to stick to brick, stucco and concrete. 7 year outdoor durable......but only 6 months on masonry products.
    (aren't all of those masonry products?)

5. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

If you had permission to screw into the wall. Best way would be 1/8" Syntra cut letters. Couple of small concrete screws per letters. I'd feel safer with that than vinyl cut lettering. Unless the wall was painted with a glossy enamel finish then it would be fine.

6. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

Best way...cheapest and quickest....paint it))))

7. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

I got a call yesterday for a 90' x 300' graphic on concrete grain elevators. The guy asked my how long he could expect it to last and I hated telling him that the warranty is 7 years, but 6 months in freeze thaw zones.....like ours......

8. OldPaint

90 FOOT x 300 FOOT....in vinyl??? you insane??? sometime YOU NEED TO CALL A PAINTER.....this is one of them.

9. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    PAINT,, PAINT,, PAINT.. The vinyl for this would cost hundreds... Paint would cost 25 bux.. You have to climb around and try to squeegee vinyl. Or you can spend 1/4 the time and paint it.

10. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

yes paint is in the picture, it's about 75% paint

11. OldPaint

75%?????????????? now that really dumb!!! if you got a SIGN PAINTER.... why not do 100% of it in paint? any good sign panter can do a better job then a printer of a pictorial.