• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl mounting speed contest anyone?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I have had a request in a thread here and I discussed this with Fred.

The request was for a speed competition with the Big Squeegee. Granted there would be some that would participate, I think lot more would participate if we open the contest up to use any means of application. This would give us all at signs101 a chance to see how others apply vinyl.

The purpose of this thread is to explore the possibilities and to gain some in site as far as incentives go. We need to get some idea how many would participate and if it should be done in categories. A lot of how we proceed will depend on the willingness of members to video tape their fastest time and share it with us by uploading it to the net and supplying us with the link.

Should we make this a blind competition so that other competitors don't know what they have to beat?

Its your contest folks. What do you want to do?
  • flood coat a 18X24 coroplast sign
  • flood coat a 4 x 8 sheet
  • weed and mount cut vinyl
  • all the above
  • any one of the above
Anyone in for the title "Vinyl King"?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My only title is still ‘Janitor’, so I’m not looking for any new ones right now…. not to mention all my wife’s titles for me, but they can’t be repeated here.

Sounds like an interesting contest. Not only will it help unify various methods, but it will probably introduce a few new ones to everyone. It would probably become more of a learning video if you compile them all together.

Make sure you get everyone’s waiver to use their shops’ trade secrets……lol

:cool1: Let the games begin...............​

jiarby

wonder where I can get a video camera !

I am on record for wanting to see people mounting 10+ coro 24x18 prints to see the workflow. Obviously mounting a single one is a breeze, but when I have a stack to get done I always wonder if there is a better way!

I wonder how a Squeegee vs Speed Press race could turn out for a bunch of cut vinyl jobs??

mystysue

i jsut mounted a 3ft by 8 ft print on coro.. it went on smooth as can be and took about 10 mins with most of that time being used to line up the print.. Im game.. Dale

for prints.. not for the cut vinyl.. lol.

Pro Image

Well send it up the flag pole and see who salutes it............lol

Set it up Dale and I'm in................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops: I thought he meant to get out the bottles of fluid out and soak those babies up........:rolleyes:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
wonder where I can get a video camera !

I am on record for wanting to see people mounting 10+ coro 24x18 prints to see the workflow. Obviously mounting a single one is a breeze, but when I have a stack to get done I always wonder if there is a better way!

I wonder how a Squeegee vs Speed Press race could turn out for a bunch of cut vinyl jobs??
I thought we could just do one from bare print and sign blank to to finished sign. Doing 10 would get boring and take a lot of time to download for some folks. You could do 10 and select the best time for your entry. I would also like to see an introduction and a brief explanation of the process you are using. We should be able to use the results to help newbies along or scare them way...lol It may also help some of the old timers to see what others are doing and perhaps improve their technique.

Squeegee vs Speed Press race. Who would win? I guess that would remain to be seen. Both processes require different procedures so a contest would have to be such that they start and finish with the same conditions. It would be an interesting race. It could get lengthy with 10 signs. But it may not be a fair race if it is just with one sign. It may take longer with one sign with the Big Squeegee because 10 signs could be masked all at once in a multiple demonstration. Starting the masking takes the most time.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
It's kind of funny how things are conceived in different parts of the country. I used flood coat because I saw someone else use it that way. Glad we got that cleared up:tongue: Now we can get back to what the thread is all about. I hope:Oops:

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Someone should supply everyone with cut vinyl.

That way everyone is starting from the same place.

On your mark, get set, GO......

• Weed your little butt off
  • Tape up whatever you have to using whatever method you want
  • Roll that vinyl up
  • Put it down on the substrate
  • Squeegee away
  • Get out any remaining bubbles and peel the tape off the end
What time do you have ????????

Tools, methodolgy, secrets, shortcuts, expertise, behind the scenes tools, extra help, munchkins, seeing eye dogs... whatever you need to get the job done.

Here's my tool.... :beer:beer:beer ... I ain't no fool !!

D

DARLAK

Welllll, It don't look like we have enough interest in this contest to proceed with it.

patience grasshopper, you only suggested it yesterday at 6pm and its still the morning...

give people some time to read...

not everybody can be glued to signs 101 24/7

MobileImpact

Our own little Signs 101 "Vinyl Olympics"! And in some cases Our own little Signs 101 "Special Vinyl Olympics"!

We are qualified for Both!

Kevin