• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl mounting speed contest anyone?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
so for clarification is this a big squeegee contest or who can make the signs the quickest regardless of method?

my opinion is it should be the quickest regardless of method, if the big squeegee is the fastest you will have material for advertising showing the benefits in real life.

regardless people will see a variety of methods and for those that only know one method of application they will be exposed to many.
Well said!

The rights for publishing should remain with the author. If I use their video in my advertising it is only right for me to pay them or at least get their permission. I'm not trying to get my moneys worth out of it so much as giving everyone a chance to see what others are doing. For all I know, it could hurt me more than help. There are a lot of unknowns to deal with here.

now I'd love to win $1500 cachingo's baby :) but I think that in the rules it should be Hand Methods only meaning no automated machinery...but of course it could be awesome for you to see the big squeegee blow the socks off of automated equipment.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Were should we send video? Youtube? Something like that?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
You Tube works but I thought I would give everyone their choice. They may want to keep it in their own site. It is harder to make copies from You Tube if that is the way you want to go.

The ones in my site were copied from Isign's web site so that Doug did not have to use up his mb's with everyone downloading it.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
...I think that in the rules it should be Hand Methods only meaning no automated machinery...but of course it could be awesome for you to see the big squeegee blow the socks off of automated equipment.
Good point. I don't think there are any machines that could win on the mounting of a single sign. Do you know of any that will mount at 18 inches or more per second?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
maybe not 18" per second but about 3 seconds yes....
There may be some that go about a third tht size but I can't picture loading them with a graphic and coro as fast as it can be done with a jig and tape.

The rebel sign I show in my DVD is 43" wide and applied at the rate of 18 linear inches per second. That works out to 5 3/8 square foot per second.

The Rebel sign was one of the first big graphics that I filmed. I was going a little slow so observers could see what was happening. With some vinyls it may be possible to go almost twice that fast.

Last edited:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I don't think the sizes you are requiring are large enough to get accurate times. There will be so many that are almost the same time, that you'll either have a group tie or have to take this thing down to the 100th of a second for your results. Doing that would knock out the honor system of doing this. I believe you would need a more controlled process or environment for what you're presenting here.
You have some good points here Gino. Can you give some suggestions? What combination of signs would be enough to get some accurate times? YouTube is limited to 10 minutes. Repetitive signs are not fun to watch.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
recap

Contest consists of 3 signs.
  • weed and mount a coroplast yard sign (18" X 24")
  • mount lettering on a 3' X 8' banner. pre-masked and ready to mount.
  • print on 4' X 8' sheet full coverage start side by side with no prep. Sheet may be jigged up.

Must have an introduction and an explanation of the processes you will be using. State what brand of vinyl and transfer paper you are using.

Must have adaquite lighting so that bubbles can be seen. Finished sign must be free of bubbles and wrinkles to qualify.

Time gets multiplied by the number of people needed for each sign. If 2 people are used on the print then the time is doubled for that sign. An electric motor quailifies as a person for this contest.

You can use anything at your disposal as long as it is legal. No copyright or patent infringements. The brand of vinyl is up to you.

In the event of a tie, and it can't be determind that one is better than the other, the prizes will be split.

Designs & dimentions for cut vinyl to be used will be supplied. Prints may be substituted with plain white or colored vinyl.Each process will be timed individually.

Prize money will be based on number of participants. Minumum 5 and $50 for each participant with a cap of $1500. Videos Must be uploaded to you tube and the link sent to Fred(??) for publishing. Times will not be revealed or the links published until the end of the contest. It would be advisable to wait to upload the video until a few days before the end of the contest.

Does this look good to everyone?
Did I leave out anything?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Dale…. didn’t notice your request until now. I don’t want to control your game…. then I wouldn’t be allowed to enter.

What you have looks rather fair. Here are are a few things I noticed.

I don’t think a plain piece of vinyl will substitute well for a printed piece though. Once most vinyls are printed on, they take on a new direction when applying the piece. They are softer and more open to problems, I guess due to the ink or chemical reaction to the vinyl. Virgin vinyl, so to speak, will be much easier to work with when putting down a full sheet.

The only thing I see a little unfair is that the amount of words, type style and other small incidentals will all play a part in transferring one to the other regardless of the method being used. I believe the same type vinyl, the same words, the same layout should be used across the board to make a fair playing field…. otherwise you’re open to fouls on account of certain things [tricks] being used out of your control.

Same deal with the banner… same print or cut vinyl should be used on all 3’ x 8’ banners of a certain weight.

A 4’ x 8’ digital print might be different to put down if it was printed on cast, calendered or true digital media.

Without your control over the substrates and medias…. the end results might be untrue. You’ll have to create so many categories the contest might lose enthusiasm.

mark in tx

How about accuracy of layout as a another measure of the contest?

Anyone can lay a banner with cut vinyl in about 2 minutes, not including peeling transfer tape, but it sure won't have straight lines!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
... The only thing I see a little unfair is that the amount of words, type style and other small incidentals will all play a part in transferring one to the other regardless of the method being used. I believe the same type vinyl, the same words, the same layout should be used across the board to make a fair playing field…. otherwise you’re open to fouls on account of certain things [tricks] being used out of your control.

Same deal with the banner… same print or cut vinyl should be used on all 3’ x 8’ banners of a certain weight.
As mentioned, the designs would be supplied with dimensions for the cut vinyl.

knowledge of materials is part of the contest. Everyone has the same chance to choose what they are working with. There is lesson on speed for different mterials that needs to be addressed by everyone. The plain unprinted vinyl is for those that do not have a printer. If you feel that the plain is faster, by all means use the plain stuff.

Mark in tx...Accuracy of layout may be used in case of a tie. As stated, the banner will be ready to mount. You can align it before your time starts. Time starts on the beginning of the first stroke and ends with the end of last stroke. Removal of transfer tape will not be counted. For the sake of speed, a second person can help with tape removal. The tape must be remove so that we can see the finished job. No break in filming.

I'm trying to keep this down to under 10 minutes of video.