• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vista Sucks ? ! ? !

SignBurst PCs

I just want to throw a question out there for the PC guys (if you are stictly a Mac guy or gal, please leave this to PC users).

I was responding on another thread and got way off topic, so I started a new thread. I hear soooo many people just say "Vista sucks", but never say why.

I just wanted to get some idea of the obstacles you are facing in Vista.

Why does everyone hate Vista?

Have you actually used it?

Have you heard it sucks, so you are afraid to try it?

Was your experience on an older system that was upgraded or a new system?

If it was new, was it a decent system or a "budget" computer?

Was it hard to use?

Did you have software incompatibilities?

Did you have printer driver (or other driver) incompatibilities?

Which version did you try? (Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate)

Did you know that Vista Utlimate has:

- DreamScene (movie based desktop)

- Full computer backup (image based backup that you can even be restored back to different computer/hardware).

- Built in DVD decoder (you can watch movies without DVD software and can burn to DVD without additional software).

- More capable built-in email client (more like Outlook than Outlook Express ever was, even a built in scheduling calendar).

Did you know that it is a simple upgrade from any version to Ultimate (buying a new key and upgrading in place)? The new key just unlocks new features.

Thanks guys and gals. I would love to read feedback and answer any questions anyone might have about Vista. I know that it is not perfect, by any stretch of the word, but I think there are alot of myths out there.

gvgraphics

We had it on one of our pc's. It was a new machine, 2gig ram and so on. Even after turning off all of the security crap it took forever to load programs. To me it seems to be more clumsy to navigate and do normal day to day operations.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i have vista on my home desktop and personal laptop....i haven't had a problem with it other than the basic issues when it first came out of certain drivers not being compatible....as of now, no issue....i turned off the security and user account control....i paid extra for my laptop to have it optimized...which is a fancy word for circuit city turning it on and taking out all the bs that is preloaded and running all the updates.....

i am a pleased vista user....

zoiko

I have an xp laptop....And yes a MAC....but am getting a new tablet laptop that will come with vista...I'll post how it is.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I have 4 printers of various type that won't run on Vista.....so I went back to XP. Nice job Bill.

how long ago was it? was it just the drivers? when vista came out, a lot of stuff didn't work with it because no one had the drivers for it....if it was drivers, have you checked to see if there are updated vista drivers now???

pacmn

vista sucks i have 2 laptop that i had to downgrade to xp pro vista takes to long to boot , some programs incompatible ,lot more but one of my main reasons is it , Resource hungry when i multitasking it holes me back.

SignBurst PCs

I have 4 printers of various type that won't run on Vista.....so I went back to XP. Nice job Bill.

But that is not a Vista problem. That is your printer manufacturer who didn't update their driver (or at least hadn't when you tried).

Manufacturers have been pretty busy updating their drivers this last year, there may be drivers out there now.

I know that the major RIP software developers are all onboard with Vista now and have many built in drivers for Vista (and others available for download).

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Sucks or not, all PC users will have to migrate to Vista, especially with the new Photoshop coming out. I have Vista fear from reading all of the designers downgrading, but most likely I will have little problems with the switch. since I do not run printers or RIPS. I personally would like to see who is successfully running it.

SignBurst PCs

vista sucks i have 2 laptop that i had to downgrade to xp pro vista takes to long to boot , some programs incompatible ,lot more but one of my main reasons is it , Resource hungry when i multitasking it holes me back.

This was a problem. Service Pack 1 has all but eliminated this, except on systems with lacking hardware.

The laptop scene was hit pretty hard with this. First of all, laptops do not have the same performance as a desktop to begin with. To add to the problem, laptop manufacturers are all stuggling to sell less expensive models and skimp on hardware specs and quality, which really hurt Vista performance.

Vista doesn't seem to be happy unless you are running newer hardware with at least 2GB of RAM.

SignBurst PCs

http://www.jawjab.com/20-reasons-why-vista-sucks/

and Microsoft know this ,this is way there rushing there new windows 7

I have seen no sign of "rushing to Windows 7". There is a big myth out there that Vista is being dumped and Windows 7 is the fix.

Gates announced that MS is trying to get back on the 3 year replacement schedule. This was on track until Vista. Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME and 2000, XP (2002), and then it took 5 years for Vista. He was simply saying that they are attempting to get back on track with Windows 7. He hinted that a new OS was due to be released in the next year or so, but I don't think that he called it by name (Windows 7).

Trying to get back to the 3 year timeline doesn't seem to me as "rushing".

SignBurst PCs

Sucks or not, all PC users will have to migrate to Vista, especially with the new Photoshop coming out. I have Vista fear from reading all of the designers downgrading, but most likely I will have little problems with the switch. since I do not run printers or RIPS. I personally would like to see who is successfully running it.

Yeah, printer drivers and RIP compatiblity were a HUGE issue. Most of the big RIPs are Vista compatible now (or at least there newest versions are). This helps with the driver issues too, as the RIP software usually has built-in drivers for mainstream printers.

But again, this is not a Windows problem, but more of the printer manufacturers lagging on new print drivers. The RIP software was a little behind as well. This all gives VISTA a bad name, but isn't really their fault.

SignBurst PCs

Don't get me wrong, it had major issues with file transfer speed. This was our major problem. It took FOREVER to move larger files, much longer than XP.

This has since been fixed with Service Pack 1.

gvgraphics

After XP came out Microsoft developed a OS called Longhorn, based on the XP design and OS, it never maid it to sale before it was scrapped and they started over. I don't like Vista(personal choice). I do however think they should stop trying to out do Mac and work on a OS that is stable, compatible and has the performance that users are looking for. Instead of trying for all of the visual looks that Vista has, they could have put more time into developing it to run quicker, more compatible and easier to navigate. I do think they made too many changes to quick, and that alone will cost them money in the long run.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i remembering running windows 3.14 (i think that's right), and not wanting to get a new pc cuz it had 98 and everyone said it was horrible.....then i remembering having 98 and not wanting to get a new pc cuz it had xp and everyone said it was horrible....

i think a lot of the problem is that people just don't want to try something new...and therefore badmouth it....

i can understand if it doesn't run with your printers/plotters...but does that mean that it's not good, or it's just not good with what you're running? and how long ago did you try it with your plotters/printers??

what about for personal use?

joeshaul

Why does everyone hate Vista?
1. Because it is a complete change to the way things were and if computer users wanted to change them, they would like to be the ones to do so. I took one look at Aero and immediately said "give me back my blank desktop that I never see cause I actually am looking at the program I am using, not the desktop".
2. I don't see any use for it at the moment, I don't need the new UI and I don't need my old programs and software to not work or have to configure it differently. DirectX 10 is about the only reason for upgrading, and that's only about one of the ten computers in my home that I use Vista on.
3. It does seem to eat up more resources than XP, but "who will ever need more than 640 kilobytes". Eventually the technological progression will make this a moot point as low end systems in five years will have a piddly 4 gig RAM. My three terabyte storage computer is actually starting to fall behind the times as I can swap out all the drives and turn it into a ten terabyte computer for the same cost I paid for it around three years ago.

Have you actually used it?
Yes, my gaming computer has it and a compaq I bought on a slick deal had it. I use the gaming one for gaming all the time, the Compaq has collected dust.

Have you heard it sucks, so you are afraid to try it?
MS will push it regardless of what people want, they'll gladly let consumers switch over to OSX or Linux before admitting that it was just a turd cut from their sphincter.

Was your experience on an older system that was upgraded or a new system?
New systems

If it was new, was it a decent system or a "budget" computer?
Gaming computer is very decent, other computer that I bought the slick deal was good (2 gig ram, 2 ghz dual core)

Was it hard to use?
Annoying to use, yes, hard to use, no, new to use (had to find names for things that have been core components since Win95/NT4), yes.

Did you have software incompatibilities?
Nope, don't have any programs that I use on the machines. I've heard of some programs acting differently. It'll be worked out over time by those program's developers, but why should I jump ahead of the train in hopes that it actually is stopping.

Did you have printer driver (or other driver) incompatibilities?
Nope, but have noticed a few drivers of equipment that I use stating not Vista compatible, or that one was in the works, until then to use XP.

Which version did you try? (Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate)
Home, Home Premium

Did you know that Vista Utlimate has:

- DreamScene (movie based desktop)
I don't look at my desktop, I don't know why someone would. I guess it's a computer solution to entertain those who stare at walls?

- Full computer backup (image based backup that you can even be restored back to different computer/hardware).
Because System Restore and MS Backup have always done such splendid jobs in the past. Wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

- Built in DVD decoder (you can watch movies without DVD software and can burn to DVD without additional software).
I have a TV and other devices that do it better to suit those needs. I will give MS a big thumbs up for the Xbox though, XBMC while not developed by MS has been one of the best media centers I've ever owned for $20 for the past four years I think. $20 being the cost of an xbox with a dead DVD drive.

- More capable built-in email client (more like Outlook than Outlook Express ever was, even a built in scheduling calendar).
Again, a solution I wouldn't trust. Too many holes in Outlook and OE that have caused worms and such. I want MS to do what they do best, and develop their operating system. Work on their OS, document it well, make API, then let other programmers write their own programs for it to fill in these gaps.

Did you know that it is a simple upgrade from any version to Ultimate (buying a new key and upgrading in place)? The new key just unlocks new features.
If MS did this well, I applaud them, having to reinstall an operating system sucks.

Thanks guys and gals. I would love to read feedback and answer any questions anyone might have about Vista. I know that it is not perfect, by any stretch of the word, but I think there are alot of myths out there.

My comments: It will be the future, regardless of what we want as stated previously. Given 3 years time, I will probably end up with mostly Vista computers, simply because it is cheaper to buy premade comps on deals with the OS included, than build one yourself for slightly higher cost, not including the actual cost of the OS (or attempt to pirate it, which after you spend time learning how to do it, you've already wasted a few more hours). "I don't mean to go on a rant", but having built computers for quite a few years, I've found it damn neared impossible to compete with Dell and others, especially if I factor in the time and annoyance of putting everything together. Case in point, a deal from Dell currently running for $440:
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
  • Genuine Windows XP Professional or Vista Home Premium
  • 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
  • 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
  • DVD+/-RW Drive
  • Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
  • 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support
Quick comparison with Newegg: Processor: $235, hard drive: $90, DVD Drive: $30, 3 Gig memory: ~$70 (I'd probably just go with 2 2 gig sticks)
We're at $425, haven't included motherboard or case yet, and as stated above, no OS. The support is always a nice toss-in on a product that I can't even build at that price.

Last edited: