• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vista Sucks ? ! ? !

Todd-sta

Its about using the machine not about it being an entertainment center.

That's thinking inside the box -

The computer is very much about being an entertainment center, and will become even more so before you know it.

What.... you don't consider the internet and this site entertainment? And it was accessed by your computer.

Bullzeye

Vista is Horrible. I had it on my machine . I ran versaworks on it for 8 mos. and then all of a sudden... whenever I would cut a file the plotter would just stop in mid cut. I tried everything to fix this problem, even reloading vista.
never could figure it out and finally just bought a new computer with xp. Never had another issue. I lost a weeks worth of work because of vista so yeah.... I Hate it!

SignBurst PCs

Vista is Horrible. I had it on my machine . I ran versaworks on it for 8 mos. and then all of a sudden... whenever I would cut a file the plotter would just stop in mid cut. I tried everything to fix this problem, even reloading vista.
never could figure it out and finally just bought a new computer with xp. Never had another issue. I lost a weeks worth of work because of vista so yeah.... I Hate it!

And you think this was a Vista issue? Did the computer have other issues or just this?

I think that many people find it very easy to blame Vista when it could very possibly have been a problem in the software that they are trying to run on Vista.

Changing back to XP was probably a great idea because Roland has had 6 years to make sure their software was bug free on it. They have only had a relatively short time to work all of the bugs on Vista.

SignBurst PCs

Yeah, Vista is pretty and can do some "cool"stuff, but if you have real work to do, Vista is an insult and a waste of time.

Wow... harsh. I do real work all day long on my Vista system. I am even able to do it at a pretty good pace. I can't think of anything that I could do in XP that I can't do in Vista (there may be something, but not off the top of my head).

It is fair to say that:

On the same hardware, XP is faster than Vista.

It is also fair to say:

Vista was written in an age of much faster hardware than XP was.

I would never try to install Vista on old hardware, it wasn't meant to do that. Actually, I take that back. MS does have a version of Vista for old and slow hardware, Vista "Standard", but I think it is only sold in third world countries or something.

Vista was written to be installed on modern, more capable systems. The bulk of the problems are created when computer builders and OEMs install Vista on "lacking" hardware configurations. They do this to meet a price-point to lure in the bargain shoppers. While the customers think they are getting a great deal, they are really being setup for failure. Had they spent a little more money and bought a system with another GB of RAM (or 3), a faster processor, and a little better video card, they would have had a much different, more pleasant experience.

Earlier, there were speed issues, even with capable system configurations, but SP1 seemed to solve those issues.

Laptops are a perfect example of this. A laptop, even though its specs look impressive, are rarely as fast as a desktop. This makes things even worse. If you skimp at all on a laptop, you may be in for a suprisingly slow experience. Turning off some of the whiz bangs may help, but a faster processor, faster hard drive, and more memory are better solutions.

I guess the biggest part of this is that it is "expensive" to buy a capable system. But I remember happily forking out several thousands of $$$ for my first PC, many years ago. To be honest, if I were to spend that same amount of money now (even without inflation), I would have a kick-ass computer.

Techman

The bulk of the problems are created when computer builders and OEMs install Vista on "lacking" hardware configurations

Sorry my friend. I have a brand new machine here with Vista and its a real DOG. DUAL core cpu and it runs considerably slower than my old 2.4 gig CPU. Another machine left my place this weekend when the owner brought it by to get it to run faster. There wasn't much to do except turn off all the over head security, and desktop fauna, and delete 17 demo programs all with phone home crap Some of which is on all the time to meet the NEW anti unauthorized copying security standards. Notice I did not say Pirating which is a completely different animal.

This entire thread is nothing more than an infomercial for Vista..
Minds are already made up. Too many of us have experience with it and work with it every day.

Were you inspired by the M$ partners deal to do this?

slipperyfrog

Have run it from day one and except the odd driver issue we have had no problems. We have good machines with plenty of ram and Vista is good and will only get better with more patches.

XP sucked monkey nuts when it first came out too. Anyone remember that?

choucove

I've been discussing with my supervisors at the University of Kansas School of Engineering about the future of their Windows computers in the labs. Currently about half are installed with Windows XP Professional while the other half run Fedora 7. There's a lot of people in the IT department that are ready to just keep running XP for the next three to four years without any upgrades to Vista and wait for the next one to roll along. This is from testing how Vista runs on their different systems and it just does not work at all nicely with their software. A lot of it is older software, some others are newer but just do not run well in Vista. You also add on to this that the computes are moved from location to location in rotations based on age. The hardware-component programmers don't need as much power so they generally run the older computers, but your normal programmers, as well as matcad and CAD users need the newer computers with more power. But still, the OS must run solid on all systems, and that's just not happening now (or in the next year at least) with Vista.

SignBurst PCs

This entire thread is nothing more than an infomercial for Vista..
Minds are already made up. Too many of us have experience with it and work with it every day.

Were you inspired by the M$ partners deal to do this?
Why would I do this if I were not inspired by my own experience?

MS doesn't write me a check (wish they did). It makes no difference to me at all if I install XP or Vista, other than I think that those who shy away from Vista are missing out. I do understand that there are still those who have a software incompatibilty or driver issue, of course you have to stick with XP then.

I work with Vista everyday as well. I really get a kick out of it everytime I find something new that I can do (that I couldn't do with XP without having to search and load third-party software).

Techman, did you read my post. I did conceed and say that Vista was slower on the same hardware (if you are running basic hardware, like most OEMs). I see very little noticable difference in performance (if any) when I sit two of our design computers next to each other, one with XP and the other with Vista. Granted, they are not running the basic recipe of hardware. The faster the hardware, the less of a performance difference. That has been verified in other benchmark testing that I have read.

I also see a number of posts on this thread from people who have had a few minor problems, but are happy with Vista for the most part.

I would guess that no matter how much they changed it, you wouldn't be happy with it. It has left a bad taste in your mouth. I only hope that the next version, Windows 7 is all that you have hoped for and more. I am really looking forward to it as well. I always like to try new things, expecially with computers. I guess that is why I like Vista so much now.

I really just wanted to touch base with the people that have used it and see how it was working for them in their businesses. If they were having major obstacles. Eventually, MS will make us start installing Vista only and we want to be prepared. For now, we are very happy to install XP.

We know that the design software, CS3 and Corel, run well on Vista (and even better on Vista 64). All of the main RIP vendors (and Flexi) have assured me that their products run well on Vista too. I know that there were problems early on with drivers, but wanted real word confirmation that some of that was being changed. There is even one major RIP software vendor who will only run stable on Vista64, not XP64, which is interesting to me, but not a huge factor as most RIP workstations are still 32Bit. More and more are making it to 64 Bit as multiple rips/printers suck up more resources.

Techman

I would guess that no matter how much they changed it, you wouldn't be happy with it. It has left a bad taste in your mouth. I only hope that the next version, Windows 7 is all that you have hoped for and more. I am really looking forward to it as well. I always like to try new things, expecially with computers. I guess that is why I like Vista so much now.

Nope mistaken.. There is no bad taste in the mouth at all.
Ive made a good amount of money from the problems with vista. I know fisrt hand how much downtime too many have suffered because of some small glitch that should never have existed in the first place.

Such as the reduced functionality fo the Hi DEf systems down to just abouve that of a DVD. The reduce abled media player, and a few other small things in the media arena that make it just about worthless. How about the greatly reduced video rendering speeds in the name of copyright protection. Why does an OS check to see in a rendering is copyright protected during the entire precess when rendering a wedding video? Because is is intrusive. Why does an OS check streaming vids for cutoff points? because its intrusive. They sold out to the media moguls.

I could go on an don as to why Vista is the flop it is. But the recent announcement that win 7 will be out in less than a year makes going to vista a waste of time and resources. IT is also proof they made a mistake reducing functionality in the name of media protection.

And finally that new media watch chip takes the cake from the baby. Having a software turn itself on or off via that chip even though its on a MAC or PC makes it so much harder for a developer to bring his work to market. Can anyone imagine trying to code an entire image collection to meet the new "required" standard? ITs not an OS anymore its becoming a cop. We d onot need more interference in our lives. we want freedom.

I would be willing to bet you were not around when XP came out. If you were you would remember that every tech worth anything knew reams and every detail before it was released via the "leaked" black market devils own release that was later turned off.

As for XP being hated. That is a misstatement. It was SP2 that was hated because of all the problems it caused. Myself and two others discovered that the API and DLL calls would cause a failure on all dongled software before it was released. I posted all over the web not to install it yet and remember very well how too many sign persons suffered. I remember that very well because removing SP2 was almost my retirement fund.

Vitsa is a flop. Its a well polished and chrome plated terd. Shades of windows ME all over again.

SignBurst PCs

I would be willing to bet you were not around when XP came out. If you were you would remember that every tech worth anything knew reams and every detail before it was released via the "leaked" black market devils own release that was later turned off.

Was not around? You think I am how old? Was alive, kicking, and even potty-trained by then.

You mean to tell me that the the RCs didn't give developers and techs (minus the security vendors) time to know what Vista was all about?

Come on... XP was a hated "teletubbie" OS. I still see people clinging to W2K in larger environments. This is old news playing over and over again.

And when exactly do you think that "7" is coming? Gates comments were most likely (confirmed by MS) pertaining to an alpha or beta. If Vista was any clue, 7 could take a while.

choucove

Explain which is better at performing the given tasks along with your reasons, experience or opinion. Granted, not all possible uses and comparisons are listed here, but a general list. There's a lot of discussion that Vista may be better than XP at some things, and XP better than Vista at others, so what are they specifically? Give your choices to these below and more if you feel.

Internet & networking stability: How stable handling internet content is, ease of setting up networking properties basic and more complex, etc.

Software & program stability: How well programs of different types run on the OS without having random glitches attributed in some way to the OS.

Software & hardware compatibility: Which OS supports the best hardware more readily, the most software more readily, and has fewer issues with different programs running on the same system.

Content security: Which OS offers better security against such threats as viruses, malware, etc. Take into consideration the amount of space and resources required to do so, the amount of "interuption" this causes to the rest of the system or other programs, and the ease of use and effectiveness.

User security: Which OS protects better against user's errors or problems that could be caused from a user manipulating or changing system settings. This also includes protection of user's information both from outside interactions from the internet or similar, and from other user accounts on the same computer.

System manipulation: Which offers better ease of customizing, fixing, debugging, or resetting system configurations and running administrative tools?

Asthetic modifications: Which offers more options and which is easier to work through without problems integrating or working with applications?

Scalability & system flexibility: Which offers the highest amount of scalability from a simple desktop to several networked workgroups or being used to host a server even? Which can handle upgrades to the system best and with more ease such as hardware upgrades?

Media Performance: Be it through third-party software or integrated, which can show media of different types better and is simpler for the user? Be it playing movies or photographs, which offer the best options and customizations, as well as support for different types without interference to use the media?

Other Comparisons: Any other large comparison that I've left out based on the same computers running XP or Vista.

I've been running vista for 8 months now and it has progressivly goten better. I run windows live one care which takes the hassel of having so many different pc fix programs running all the time. As far as compatability only my webcam doesn't work. Printer works fine, don't know why people complain about printers not working, they break very easily these days unless you by a good one which can be very expensive. Not to mention they practicaly give you a free or super discounted printer if you buy a pen these days.

My experience with vista has been great. I love that the windows key actualy has a funciton now because of the intergrated search into the start button. I can just type and scan my computer usually under 5 seconds every file on my computer relitive to my search, including some files that support meta data of what is contained within the file. So I can search for a document that contains certain text but which is not included in the title. The only program not to work with vista so far for me is worms armageddon....big deal...

My friends all bash me for having vista, but truely its not because they have used it and don't like it. It's because they don't like the idea that I have something different or "more advanced" its stupid really. My mother sister and roomate are computer literate enough to search the web and send an e-mail, and have had no problem adjusting to vista.

I have loaded so many programs onto the computer its rediculous. And have so many mp3's movies, everythings...500gb with only 15gb left and the computer is still running fast. I've knowticed that it has slowed down a bit. But I know 100% that if I had treated XP the way I've treated vista. I would have already reformated once or twice.

Just my 2 cents. I think vista is great.

Matt Cuellar

I've used Vista Home Premium and was surprised at how sluggish it was. My wife has a 3GB RAM 180GB HD laptop and it took FOREVER to open photoshop and Wasatch. Once we rolled it back to XP Pro, it was LIGHTENING fast! I thought the interface was kludgy and not as user-friendly as XP...but I didn't play with it that much so maybe once you get to know it, it's OK. I'll just stick my my Dual Core Mac with Leopard and XP. :smile:

Signguyno1

A wise old owl
sat in an oak,

The more he saw
the less he spoke

The less he spoke
the more he heard.

Why cant we be
like that wise old bird?
:rolleyes:

Samm

I must be a one-in-a-gazzilion...Vista here, running flexi 7.6 no probs, nothing slow, nothing freezing, no complaints. Then again, I don't print so no overly massive files to deal with.

I Did have initial problems with my wireless but soon sorted that.

Sam

theskipman_98

i remembering running windows 3.14 (i think that's right), and not wanting to get a new pc cuz it had 98 and everyone said it was horrible.....then i remembering having 98 and not wanting to get a new pc cuz it had xp and everyone said it was horrible....

Yeap remember 3.xx (gone are the days of c://win), had no problems with Win95, or 98, or Me (actually liked Me best). Then came XP, hated it....nothing worked with it, but further down the road the drivers finally caught up and everything was fine after I got the SP2. For right now I'm sticking to XP. (still never got my Quick Cam to work with XP)

Now along comes Vista, had to go and help a friend do set ups on his son's new Dell, and it brought back memories of when XP came out. I got a kick out of the new Dell printer (with Vista drivers) not being recognized or working. ( had to use my laptop to get the new one's off Dell's site). Has been nothing but trouble since, his games not running, locking up, wouldn't even shut down after lock up, had to pull the plug (thought we were going to have the viewing right there:Big Laugh) Oh the best one was hooking the kid's X-box 360 up to it to play nice... (he gave me the Dell all in one for doing this one...it runs fine on XP- just plugged it in and it installed itself)

I have a problem with them releasing these OS's when no one has had a chance to catch up ( new drivers for older equipment, etc. ). They seem to push it off on us and say, "here deal with it!". And I dread that sticker on my newer laptop that says "Vista-Ready" (came with XP)

Well at least we aren't doing signs using LOGO- trying to get the turtle to follow the letters or graphics :thumb:

Yeap remember 3.xx (gone are the days of c://win), had no problems with Win95, or 98, or Me (actually liked Me best). Then came XP, hated it....nothing worked with it, but further down the road the drivers finally caught up and everything was fine after I got the SP2. For right now I'm sticking to XP. (still never got my Quick Cam to work with XP)

Agreed. Same thing here with me. Only I can't get my webcam to work with vista...only xp drivers lol

Joe Diaz

:munchie:I have Vista at home and on two of our design stations at work. I would almost go far as saying I love it… especially at home. They made huge improvements to the media center, which has features that I’m almost certain are not available on a MAC. Or at least no one talks about it. I have my PC in the back room of my place and it is hooked up to my TV in my living room wirelessly. Before, my home computer had XP Media Center Edition then I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Now keep in mind this was a three year old computer that in its heyday was boss, but it made the transition pretty smoothly, in fact, it was easier installing Vista then XP. I remember spending hours after installing XP tracking down drivers off of CD’s and websites, but I only had to track down one driver after installing Vista.

I also remember when XP first came out people complained a lot about it too. Eventual software and hardware companies seemed to get on board and now we are seeing the same thing. At work the two Vista machines came with Vista Installed. They run even better, but then again they are way faster then my 3 year old personal PC. Plus they were built for Vista. At first Graphtec didn’t have drivers for one of our plotters, but that was the only problem we had. A few months later they had a solution. For the time being we just used one of our XP machines to plot from. Pretty soon I think we are going to switch over the rest of the computers at the shop to Vista. And from what I have seen so far, I’m not too worried about it. I enjoy all the additional features and even like the new look. It seems to run a bit faster too, maybe due to the fact it’s 64 bit? I don’t know. I just know it works fine for us.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why people are having so much trouble with Vista… and we aren’t even that smart!:Big Laugh

I would much rather try it out for myself and see whether or not I like a certain operating system or software, rather then listen to people who have heard that this or that “sucks” or has a friend who works on computers and they say it “sucks”.:rolleyes:

Tony Teveris

At work I have been using Vista 64 (Ultimate) since it was introduced with absolutely no problems. This is on a Dell 670 @ 3GHz and 2gb of memory, dual monitor and just upgraded with the SP1. Again this is for work so lots of compiling, debugging code, etc. I do NOT shut it off unless I’m fiddling with something inside and it has never crashed.
My son has a Dell XPS laptop for college with Vista 32 – Home and has not had any problem what so ever.