Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mural Installed in Our Office- Painted or Not? Bet you can't tell!

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Dan Antonelli, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Dan Antonelli

Dan Antonelli Very Active Member

Sep 13, 2003
    NJ
    Painted brick or not.... Can you tell?

We designed and had printed this wall mural for the back wall in our office. Rick at Typestries (a Signs101 vendor) printed and installed it. The seams are butt-jointed. This was printed on wall paper material (sorry, not sure exact brand). We're just awaiting a few pieces to cover wall outlets, and window sill.

Looks very realistic. The illustration and design work took about 35 hours. We achieved the 'walldog' look by layering the illustration on top a white brick wall layer (we had to make the wall much bigger than original file), and choosing 'multiply' to achieve a more realistic look. We then distressed some of the lettering and painting to make it look like some of it was 'flaking'.

The other logos around the 'billboard' are some of our designs, just lightened opacity and multiplied on top of brick. The design was 8'x32' - and we worked at 80 dpi.

We do a lot of retro themed work, and thought this would be cool for clients to see when they got to the office. It keeps freaking me out cause I want to feel the bricks when I walk by!

Can't say enough about Rick and his crew and attention to detail on the install. You will not be able to find a seem unless you're literally a few inches away. Thanks Rick!:U Rock:

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Love it. I actually thought that you meant that this was a brick wall and you applied some kind of material over the top of it. Looks awesome!

3. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Great design, Great install. How long did that install take?

4. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    :thumb:Awesome illusion. My favorite kind of trick

5. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very Nice!

6. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    If you did not mention this was printed, would have thought it was painted on brick. Course it just might be the outstanding design work to pull this off and look so real.
    You have diffidently raised the bar of wraps. Thank you for sharing.

7. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    That's awesome!!!!
    Like the slogan, a while back I was toying with and idea like that - Give your design that new car smell..... I like yours better.
    Great stuff right there!!!!

8. stickermonkey

stickermonkey Member

Dec 3, 2008
    LOVE it !!

9. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Looks awesome Dan, good job!

10. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Freakin' amazing!!!
    :rock-n-roll:

11. Signs 365

Signs 365 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Awesome!

12. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    looks great !

13. sar bossier

sar bossier Very Active Member

Apr 7, 2011
    FANTASTIC!! What program did you use to design this? I Lllooovvveee the realistic brick effect. Superior talent! :loveya::notworthy:

14. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I absolutely positively love this.
    Very clever, attractive, and unique.
    Also fun!
    Love....Jill

15. g&eprinting

g&eprinting Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Everett MA
    Awesome!

16. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    Dan, thanks for having us be a part of this fun project!
    The material is Ultraflexx wallscapes suede. We printed it on our Latex L25500. What's cool about the latex is had this been a solvent print, Dan's office would be stinking for days. The latex also handles panel to panel color consistency incredibly well.

This is an non adhesive unpasted product. It takes some getting used to. We have used this extensively for a national client, and they usually hire wallpaper installers, not wrap folks. It takes the standard vinyl installer a bit out of comfort level-but, but once you get it, it really works. We usually roll the paste onto the paper, then book the pieces. Did this one differently, and pasted the wall heavy, then applied. It worked out really well this way.

We're going to print some "covers" for the outlets and jacks on 180c and matte lam them, and some filler strips for the window returns, since on site we all decided the returns need the brick look to compliment the realism of the effect.

One last thing-doing this type of install with butt seams is an amazing way to make the product look realistic. We printed with a 1/2" overlap, then trimmed both layers out. Of course, that's near impossible with a vehicle wrap, but here, inside, with a dimensionally stable product, the seams will almost never open up. The end result is there are no vertical panel lines present in the design, unless you are literally on top of it (then they are tough to see).

Thanks again Dan-now I can't wait to see what you and your crew crank out for us!!!

17. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    Looks great - caught it on Facebook and already showed it off to several clients.

Very well done project all around!

GP

18. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    How do you draw the artwork like the woman sniffing the can?

19. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    niiiiice.

20. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    absolutly outstanding work!!!! :notworthy: